Access - Cody Nottingham

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
Access is the newest twist on the card to box plot, coming straight from the mind of Cody Nottingham, which most of you know as the author of The Wire's popular release IN2, and some of you as the name signing the DVD Changes, which introduced a couple of the most visual (and the most hardcore) colour changes in the magic industry.

Very sexy!

The first thing that you notice when you see this effect is that it is extremely visual. A card appears or changes inside an empty card box in a split second with little or no cover whatsoever. A simple shake or a hand/fan wave and the spectator can actually see a card appearing inside the box that was empty just a moment ago. Although there are a lot of impressive card to box effects out there, I can't really think of any that is such an eye candy to watch.

Applications

In the Access trailer that you can see at the following link, Cody demonstrates a few of the possible applications and variations of this effect, but I feel obligated to stress out the fact that this effect can really be implemented in a lot of effects and routines that you already do, whether it is a simple Ambitious card routine where the card jumps to the top of the deck a couple of times after which you put the card box on the deck (or the deck on the card box) and the card visually jumps to that very same card box, a sandwich effect where the card is put inside the box and 2 other cards visually appear inside the box to sandwich it or simply an angle-proof and super easy torn and restored card, to name a few. Let me state for the record that I'm practicing this effect for less than 24 hours, and I already thought of a dozen applications for it, i.e. the basic move that this effect is based on, which brings me to another point.

Practicality and complexity

Yes, the move. This effect and all of it's applications are based on a certain move. Well, two moves actually, depending on what and how you choose to perform, but the point is that Access is completely impromptu. Not only that, but it's also pretty easy to perform. If your magic career/hobby didn't start 2 hours ago, you'll be performing this in no time, thinking of a whole bunch of new applications for it down the road. The angles are good and in some applications of Access you'll even be able to perform completely surrounded and constantly burned, while the other applications will require some small misdirection but nothing that lasts longer than 2 seconds.

About the download

The download is approximately 12 minutes long and Cody goes over all the necessary moves and some applications for it. He'll teach you a couple of applications and variations, but doesn't go into too much detail considering other routines that Access can be implemented into. The quality of the video and the audio is solid and although it isn't a full HD video that will let you see if Cody has pimples, freckles, scars or dents on his face, it won't substract from your learning experience. The lightning is ok and you'll see everything you need to see. All in all, the production quality is not world-class, but I would buy original, home-made creations like this any day to over-hyped 1080p twists of a Classical pass, that differs from a regular one because it keeps the index finger extended in front of the deck and is named The Modern Pass.

Overall

Overall, I would recommend buying Access even if you're not a big fan of the card to box plot and are just looking for some simple inspiration. And trust me, the method of this effect will inspire you. It's the outside, or should I say inside of the box thinking at it's finest and for only 5$ it is well worth the money!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results