Customs cards are trick cards?

Jan 22, 2012
For me as a magician I used to think that spectators will think that I have tricks cards if I use a Split Spades deck or a Ghost deck but lately I don't think this is the case. For me I found that nobody really cares about how the cards look and never ask to examine the deck. I think that people who have never seen magic before (so most spectators) will not think that the custom deck you're using is a trick deck because they are enjoying the experience and not caring about the cards. Also most spectators rarely ever use cards in their daily life so they don't really know what the "standard" deck looks like. Also someone on this forum also put it like this: If a friend got a deck from Disney and used for a game, nobody will scream out HE'S USING TRICK CARDS. No they would probably ask how was Disney. So my point is I don't really think that a different back design will make spectators think that you are using a trick deck.

A well-constructed point, but I've always been called out for trick cards even when I'm using Tally-Ho's. People seem to only accept USPCC cards that are popular like Bicycles, Bees, and Aviators where I am. I only remember one performance where no one raised a brow; and I was using Black Tigers, which at least have the Bicycle design. I just think this is an odd topic of discussion seeing as there's no need to bring up points; once you perform, you'll find out whether or not they're seen as inherently tricked regardless of reason.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
A well-constructed point, but I've always been called out for trick cards even when I'm using Tally-Ho's. People seem to only accept USPCC cards that are popular like Bicycles, Bees, and Aviators where I am. I only remember one performance where no one raised a brow; and I was using Black Tigers, which at least have the Bicycle design. I just think this is an odd topic of discussion seeing as there's no need to bring up points; once you perform, you'll find out whether or not they're seen as inherently tricked regardless of reason.

If you are getting called out that often, I'm willing to bet that you're being called out has more to do with your performance style than your deck.

If you are getting called out that often, I'm willing to bet that you're being called out has more to do with your performance style than your deck.
I'm not above thinking that except that it only occurs when I have cards other than standard USPCC. Additionally, before I even get a chance to do anything they comment or ask about the pack of cards; in fact, that is usually the only time that it occurs.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Yeah I just came from a gig where I used a deck of Sentinals. I had no problem at all with passing them off as a regular deck of cards. So much of it is in the way you perform. Laymen who don't play poker will go to the dollar store to get a deck of cards. They have dollar signs on the back and pictures of Batman. It's not too difficult to think that just like a biker has a cool bike that you never heard of or a pro baseball player has a bat that you can't get at Walmart that a guy who plays with cards might have a nice deck.

Well at least there's an easy way to prove they're not trick cards :) As for me, I've never been accused of using trick cards, but there's not one specific brand of cards where I live (like bikes) so anything's pretty much accepted without a fuss :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I've actually only ever been asked if it's trick cards when using a deck of red-backed Bikes. I've used tons of custom decks and I'm never questioned. I'm forced to assume that anyone who's getting questioned is probably putting that question into their spectator's mind somehow.

Jan 22, 2012
I agree with ChristopherT, if you are saying things about the deck like "This is an ordinary deck of cards" or "You can see there are no duplicates" It raises people suspicions just a little bit more. It sounds like as if you're trying to hide something

Feb 4, 2008
The quote that kicked this off comes from Jamie Grant. He has one of the best answers to this question I have ever heard. You can read his whole comment here.

I can only speak from my own experience. I am technically an amateur but I do between 20-30 parlor gigs a year and I do 10 - 20 impromptu sets a week. In the last 3 yeas I have reviewed about 35 different cards, the bulk of which would be classed as "custom cards." In that time I have generally performed exclusively with custom cards and only one time did someone suspect the cards.The cards in question were the black Tally-Hos from Ellusionist. So as a general rule of thumb I just don't worry about it.

Another thing that never seems to get mentioned is that most custom cards are not gaffed! Ellusionist makes some gaffs for their cards and most T-11 cards come with a double backer, but overall the number of magicians using "gaffed custom cards" is pretty small in comparison to the number of magicians using "gaffed Bicycle cards." So that right there makes the whole debate something of a non-issue simply because, if a spectator does seem suspicious you can immediately pass out the deck without fear.

So for magicians who perform the bulk of their repertoire with pure sleight of hand there really is nothing to fear.

Mar 5, 2012
Mainly I only use Bikes and never really get called out for using 'trick cards' although I can see how using custom decks can be suspicious (different coloured decks like shadow masters, not different back designed cards or any other madness).
I do think the quality of the performance can have something to do with this also though...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results