How do you get gigs?

Jan 22, 2012
I know that some people on this forum have experience with getting gigs and I'm curious on how to approach it. Do you guys perform on the street and hand out business cards? Or do you guys go to restaurants and ask about getting gigs? I'm just starting to get into the idea of trying to get gigs and I just want to make sure that I'm going to do it right.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I first started getting a lot of my first gigs right after I joined my local magic club / ring. I filled in for magicians who subbed me out and then I gave them 20% back.

I also am a school teacher and a lot of parents see me doing events around our community like balloon sculpting and magic events.

I do have a website, pass out business cards, but word of mouth travels very fast.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Your best bet would be to perform at restaurants, that way more people would see you perform once or twice a week (or however many nights you're at said place.) and you're business card would be in more people's hands. For most magicians that's pretty much the pipeline for getting "gigs", now it's all just a matter of figuring out who you want to market yourself toward. High end upscale clients, or kids show or whatever.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Marketing myself towards one audience has always been my biggest problem. I can do the heavy hitting magic for adults. I can do the kids bday parties and I also do a ton of balloon sculpting.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I got a lot of offers for shows while doing restaurant work. I hadn't started doing shows at that point, but I can only imagine if I was promoting a show.
I also got tons of calls from advertising with a Partypop ad (though this is my last year with them).
Since I got my website up and running, with descent SEO, I get a steady (for what I want) stream of calls.
Then from the shows I do I get spin off shows and repeat work.

It's interesting that I only market myself as a corporate magician, but I get a TON of requess for kids birthdays. I keep sending my friends a stream of business.

After you start getting calls, you get to work on your sales pitch and do estimates.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
You first need to ask where you want to work. I perform at nice bars, nightclubs, conferences and even strip clubs because that's where business people hang out. I think it's universal that a lot of the time you won't get booked unless someone has seen you perform and can vouch for your quality of entertainment so decide where you would like to work and for what people then arrange a magic night or something to attract people.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Good point Formula. Many people who hire me have seen me entertain at other venues and then they come up to me and get a business card and usually I get a phone call or email soon after about an upcoming event that they have as well. Many clients (especially the higher end ones) want to see what they are going to get for their money.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You first need to ask where you want to work. I perform at nice bars, nightclubs, conferences and even strip clubs because that's where business people hang out. I think it's universal that a lot of the time you won't get booked unless someone has seen you perform and can vouch for your quality of entertainment so decide where you would like to work and for what people then arrange a magic night or something to attract people.

Talk about having proper misdirection!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results