Misdirection

Apr 23, 2012
To put this simply, how and where can I learn misdirection? There are a lot of books and videos showing card sleights and such, but I don't know where to learn misdirection. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Can anyone recommend some sources? I feel as though sleight of hands is a good way to start magic, but I feel strongly that performance and presentation of the trick and misdirection add a stronger effect than any smooth sleight. And moreover, misdirection can cover some sloppy sleight.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Tommy Wonder, Slydini and Michael Vincent talk about it a few times. But mainly the idea of very contextual in that it would vary from situation to situation. I know Michael Vincent goes more down the path of doing the dirty work during moments of relaxation, which are simple things like relaxing, leaning back a bit and relaxing your muscles and doing whatever sleight at the right time.

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
If you are interested, I learnt magic under this magician named Joe Bruno and he had published a book on the subject, which was by the way printed in 1973, and it breaks misdirection up into 3 basic sections and then subsections. it is too long to detail here but if you pm me about it I might see what I can do........?

Nov 27, 2009
I learned it the hard way. By failing at it numerous times. The key is to know what draws people's attention. Once you know that, you can do anything. I also read Fitzkee's Magic By Misdirection, but only after I had learned it the hard way. I also picked up a few ideas from Sankey's Beyond Secrets, but again, this was after I'd been in the school of hard knocks for several years. I always watch people's eyes when I'm performing that way I know if I have their attention or not, and I know what I can get away with. While I've never read the books mentioned, and I'm no master of misdirection, I'll bet it's safe to say that you learn more from the school of hard knocks than from any book you'll ever read.

Jun 1, 2009
Most of the time, they will look where you look, or direct them to look. I went to an Aaron Fisher Lecture and when he started explaining how an effect was done, he pointed out the moments when he basically said "hey, look waaaay over there!" and we all obeyed. When you have someone select a card and tell everyone to remember it, you're saying just that. You're telling them to look totally away from you, and then to memorize an object. That's the perfect time to do ANYTHING you want. Try and structure your effects to where when they do select a card, you are able to do a sleight to progress the trick. Think about this, you have a golf ball and do a fake transfer to make it vanish. If you follow your hand that is "holding" the ball and pay no attention to your other one (because it's empty, so why would it be important, right?) then your audience will do the same. Look where you want them to look, don't look where you don't want them to look. Also body language is very important. I know Greg Wilson talked about how Slydini would relax in his chair, shoulders untensed, relaxed breathing, no tension in his body. The audience then reacted the same way, because the trick was over. And in that moment he would do whatever secret move that needed to be done, because there is no heat on him, everyone and everything is relaxed. It's important to create on beats and off beats in your magic (easier said than done, I know) so you have that moment where the tension is released and you can do a sleight with no pressure on you.

I hope that all makes sense and you can take something away from that.

Jacob

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Most of the time, they will look where you look, or direct them to look. I went to an Aaron Fisher Lecture and when he started explaining how an effect was done, he pointed out the moments when he basically said "hey, look waaaay over there!" and we all obeyed. When you have someone select a card and tell everyone to remember it, you're saying just that. You're telling them to look totally away from you, and then to memorize an object. That's the perfect time to do ANYTHING you want. Try and structure your effects to where when they do select a card, you are able to do a sleight to progress the trick. Think about this, you have a golf ball and do a fake transfer to make it vanish. If you follow your hand that is "holding" the ball and pay no attention to your other one (because it's empty, so why would it be important, right?) then your audience will do the same. Look where you want them to look, don't look where you don't want them to look. Also body language is very important. I know Greg Wilson talked about how Slydini would relax in his chair, shoulders untensed, relaxed breathing, no tension in his body. The audience then reacted the same way, because the trick was over. And in that moment he would do whatever secret move that needed to be done, because there is no heat on him, everyone and everything is relaxed. It's important to create on beats and off beats in your magic (easier said than done, I know) so you have that moment where the tension is released and you can do a sleight with no pressure on you.

I hope that all makes sense and you can take something away from that.

Jacob

Michael Vincent constantly talks about that in his DVD's. I'd say the best way to structure your effects/routines like that are to simply script your stuff.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Reading will be of some help. Best way to learn is by getting out and doing the routine infront of people. Watching their faces, playing with different ideas each time you perform. In Gregory Wilson's lecture he put it well: you will be bad at first, so go get the bad out of the way.
:)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Do you mean Expert Card Technique?

In addition, I second the work of Slydini and Tamariz. Also, Greg Wilson is a master of misdirection, so check him out.

Yes I did! Sorry it's easy to switch those titles thanks for catching that :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results