Any Tips? Pointers?

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
The camera shake effect was a little bit overused and could be timed up with the music better.

Sep 1, 2007
Thoughts as they occur to me.

0:06 - Why did the camera shake? And hate to say it, but I'm not digging the music.
0:16 - Okay, I've seen enough of your hands. I want to see your face now.
0:22 - The shake effects are really jarring and make it hard to follow the action on screen. Generally, you only want to use an effect like that in a shot that contains very little motion.
0:32 - Now it's starting to really bug me.
0:51 - You're doing the same stuff everyone else does in these videos and since I can't see your face, I have no clue who you are as a person. There is literally nothing to separate you from the thousands of other guys posting these videos.
1:21 - The jump cuts undermine the effect because it makes it look like it's just another take. The effects are so heavy that they prevent any feeling of continuity from building up. I become acutely aware of the fact that I'm watching a video full of camera cuts. A cut should be used in such a way that it either makes a well-timed transition to another scene, or recreate the feeling of snapping my eyes to another point of interest.
1:38 - Okay, at this point I'm actually getting motion sickness.
2:08 - Forget motion sickness, now I'm getting a headache from all the shakes and jump cuts. The visual dissonance is too much to handle. Less is more.
2:36 - It was all fancy cuts, color changes, and two or three slightly different effects. Nothing I haven't seen a million times before.

It's your first video. You made mistakes, that's what first tries are for. Next time around, don't use all the fancy effects, skip the music, and record yourself performing for live people. I don't care about a disembodied pair of hands, I want to see who you are.

I'm seriously not kidding when I say that I know people who, if I asked, could build a robot that would be able to do all those fancy cuts. But I wouldn't pay to see it, and not just because I'm afraid of a robot uprising. I want to see performances by people. I want to know that there's a face, a name, a personality behind the card tricks because that's what makes them interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DH MagicTime

Banned
May 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Work your personality into the work my friend. Show your face, show some emotions if you don't its a boring video of handing and cards jumping around. Also the music isn't the best option, however, a lot of people would disagree with my choice of music

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results