Kids Show Questions

Feb 21, 2009
Please forgive me if this has been discussed here before. I tried searching and didn't come up with anything.

The questions I have pertain to birthday magic with an audience of about 20 kids sitting around you
(ages 4-7). My questions are:
1. How do you all handle kids wanting to talk to you directly while you are performing? I want to let them talk to me and get involved because I want them to have fun, and there is nothing fun about being ignored or being asked to stop talking. But there is always that one kid who just wants to keep talking and not let the show go on.
2. This is kind of like the first. How do you handle that one kid in the audience who really wants to talk to you but is so excited that he cant talk straight and is not understandable at all.

Again I am sorry if this has been discussed before. If it has I would be very appreciative if someone could point me to that thread. Thanks!

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
It would probably be best if you posted this in the "tricks suitable for Children thread," since people seem to be doling out some good advice there. I've never performed to large groups of kids, only to about 4 or less at a time. For this reason, I don't have much help to give, but I'm sure everybody else in the other thread would love to answer your questions!

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
1. I would personally do what I do on hecklers; give them the spot light. If the child insists on 'stopping' your show, bring him/her up for some kinda of trick. Also, since they are so young keep it a "flashy" show so their attention does not wonder; preffible use colourful things (balloons, lights, etc.)
2. Try your best haha. Never happened to me, but I could imagine this.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
1. You need to perform in a way to creates a "fourth wall" like in a play. Kids don't try to talk to performers in a play. You do this by making your show seem professional. You also need to be in control. Additionally, you are there to entertain all of the kids and by letting one kid monopolize you and derail the show, you are ruining it for the other kids.

The biggest point is not to get into that situation. Only interact with the child that is helping you. If your show is entertaining and engaging, the kids will be too busy reacting to you. Kids call out when they are bored.

If the child was called up to help, ask the audience to give them a round of applause when they sit down. That solves the problem of them staying up.

A good way to gently redirect a talkative child is to say something like "I'd love to keep talking, but I've got a lot more magic to show you. So if you can sit down, I can show you more magic." If that doesn't work, then a little more serious, "I need you to sit down."

I disagree about calling a disruptive child up for an effect. That only rewards bad behavior. Once that child is done, they will go back to misbehaving. Also, those types of children make the worst helpers.

2. Ask them simple questions. What is your name? What is your favorite food? Have you ever had a pet elephant? Do you have any brothers or sisters? Would you trade your sister for a pet elephant? Again, this is you being in control. You are asking yes or no questions. Easy to answer. If they want to explain, they can.

All of the interaction with the spectators should be scripted. They should only talk when you ask them questions. It is your show, you are in control.

I hope that is helpful. If you give more context, like when this is happening, what they are talking about, what effect you are performing, what your script is, etc. I can give you more precise advice.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
R1's advice is spot on and basically is the same from me. You may have some trouble with little ones around the age of 4 as they don't really know and understand the Do's and Don'ts at shows. Sometimes it is good to have an adult sit by the really young children. I really frown upon performing for children under the age of 5 or 6 because it can be a doozie of a show...ha ha. At one point I was doing a show and a crawling baby came up to my performing area and I had to stop my show and take the kid back to his parent because nobody was watching the kid. (Be ready for anything...ha ha)

You NEVER give a child who is interrupting the show the spotlight or bring them up as a volunteer as this is definitely giving them the "reward" and attention they are seeking. If you do bring them up you are asking for problems during your instructions / script because the child now feels "comfortable" enough in that he or she believes they can say and do what they want up there.

This causes the show to stall and derail taking away from everyone else. I've been in this spot before and have actually had the child go sit back down and made it a point ( in a serious tone ) that I need "good listeners and children who are able to do exactly as they are asked". Most kids catch the hint and see that certain things won't be tolerated. 9 times out of 10 the child who was acting up modifies their behavior after seeing buddies get to go up and have fun and be involved.

You always need to show that you are in control. This does not need to be done in a mean way either. It is done professionally.

I always try to keep my 4th wall as David explained about 10 feet back from the children so that they don't feel like they can just pop on up there easily.

Kids like to be involved. Visual is key. You can be silly at times, but don't be so silly or goofy that the kids then start to lose focus and then your show derails itself. Ugh...I've seen this countless times.

If you can think of other specific questions feel free to ask.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
You NEVER give a child who is interrupting the show the spotlight or bring them up as a volunteer as this is definitely giving them the "reward" and attention they are seeking. If you do bring them up you are asking for problems during your instructions / script because the child now feels "comfortable" enough in that he or she believes they can say and do what they want up there.

This causes the show to stall and derail taking away from everyone else. I've been in this spot before and have actually had the child go sit back down and made it a point ( in a serious tone ) that I need "good listeners and children who are able to do exactly as they are asked". Most kids catch the hint and see that certain things won't be tolerated. 9 times out of 10 the child who was acting up modifies their behavior after seeing buddies get to go up and have fun and be involved..

That?s the kind of advice that is different for kids and adults... is counterintuitive... I am surprised to hear this... since I thought you could manage a kid heckler by bringing him to the stage... I see lots of people saying that if an adult is heckling you should bring him to the stage...and make him part of the routine... I don?t know how I feel about that, since I prefer to not give them attention...

I have never try this Rick, since I am don?t do kids shows anymore, but I know you know the game so as usual great advice from a pro like you!!

Feb 21, 2009
Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply, I haven't had access to a computer for a while. Thanks for all the replies!

So to clarify a point, the kids are getting really involved in the show. When they talk out loud to me its always about a trick and I haven't had a problem with rude children yet. I think that my patter may be too open ended. For example, "I have two ropes here, but when we started we had three didn't we? So how do we get them back to three?" The kids want to answer my question aloud. Should I change my patter or can you think of a way to get the kids just as involved without stalling my routine?

Thanks all! I appreciate the help!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results