Some Peer Review

Dec 25, 2014
What do you guys think of my gambling Demo, Thanks!
Backstory: After watching richard turner I became in love with cheating demos and now thats what i mostly do. i present most of my magic as skill.(Only sometimes depends what mood i am in)

1. I give the spectators a deck tell them to do as i do

2. I do a couple tabled riffle shuffles and tell the person to my left to give the deck a cut

3. Then i start doing things like flying 3 way cut sybil one handed tabled riffle shuffle (Yes i do this just show off)

4. I tell them ok lets see how well mixed up the deck is I grab their deck and spread mine out to reveal its in new deck order

5. With the deck that they shuffled i ask them if they play black jack. They say yes or no

6. I ask them to give me a number of players between 2-5

7.I shuffle the deck and legitimately deal the cards and reveal i have a jack and an ace

This is my opener
for my much larger tabled routine

Also if it helps i am twelve years old :)

(And yes i can do this entire routine without hesitating or stopping and even with my eyes closed and blindfolded)

Thank you!

I will take anything for advice. Techniques tricks or just general feedback Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
It sounds like it could be a great routine! Of course, I haven't seen you perform it, but I have a few suggestions of things to think about which you may find useful.

You say you're presenting your magic as skill. Does this mean that you're inviting your audience to try and catch you out? If not, what are you doing to prevent the performance being seen in that way? If you are, then what are you doing to make sure the atmosphere is pleasant and not overly combative? While people enjoy seeing an expert at work, they prefer it if that expert shows some humility and leaves them, the audience, to decide that what they're watching is worthy of applause. If your demeanour is giving off the message, "Look at me, I'm great!", then your audience may well decide you need to be taken down a peg or two. So you need to ensure that there are enough moments in your performance where you make a joke at your own expense or something doesn't go perfectly as planned (even if you magically/skillfully recover the situation afterwards) so that you show that you're not trying to place yourself above them.

It might be worth you looking into some acting theory, especially the concept of high and low status. A high status character who is always successful can become boring very quickly. A low status character who wins through in the end against all the odds gets the audience rooting for them.

I hope that helps!

Dec 25, 2014
Thank you!

I completely understand what you mean.

I dont always take it to seriously. usually ii do it with some odd cards like ones with jumbo indexes and i joke around. and yes i do invite them to try and catch me because then i learn and maybe ill tell them good eye and joke about it thank you!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results