Memory Magic

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I was thinking the other day about tricks that don't involve any physical gimmicks and I thought of a crazy idea that sounds feasible, but would take a lot of time working on. The result is this question:

I figure this has already been done in some capacity, but is there a trick out there that involves A LOT of memorization; specifically, memorizing the exact placement of all 52 cards in a deck?
I'm working on a packet trick right now that involves memorizing the placement of 7 cards and I'm doing okay at that, I figure once I get that down that I'll want to take it a notch higher.

I'm trying to look for magic that involves memory practice as I think it would be a great and useful mental exercise (I have TBI).

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 1, 2013
Italy
Not sure if I've what you are searching for, but I think this may interest you.
One year ago I was searching for a different way to force a card, so I started thinking on it.
What elements should have a good force to look natural? Invisibility? Misdirection? Timing?
With the classic force in mind, the last one was the answer. But the action may fail, specially if repeated.
How to overcome this problem? Starting your routine using a deck with a pre-maded sequence that you can remember.

Next step, how to find the exact position of a selection in a 52 deck sequence?
You have two ways, using memory or math. Both are mathematically described by a function like F(position) = card
The first obviously require only a good memory training. You can made the work easier if you use a repeated (or mirror) sequence every 4,13 or 26 cards. But if you have to show the entire deck, someone may easily notice the repetition.
With maths, you should only have to train on fast and (possibly) easy operations.
However, you have to develop a working formula. While building one, search missing/duplicate results with different position.
Without programming knowledge, it may result difficult to find working and not obviouse sequences.
For example, it may be easy to think of an alternate sequence of seed where the next card has a +3 value from the previous, however a ribbon spread will break the magic.
Luckily, programming is my job. I had nice a result building one specific sequence, that I used for some month.
Right now I don't remember the exact formula, because I stoped using it, but it used a multiplication for 5, and than an addiction.
The added numbers (surely 1 and 2, the other where between 10 and 30) is based on a list, with index module(position,4). Than the result, get another module for 52. This number is the card in the position of a sorted deck 1-13, seed by seed.
I loved it because it hasn't any kind of recognizable pattern, but I should admit, was somewhat impractical.

Maybe I can resume that project and extend it for other purpose.
Like using programming power for building and verifying new sequences or routines.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
@MrHurley, maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but there are many tricks that can be done with memorised decks. Tamariz's book is a pretty comprehensive source for this.

This involves learning the order of the deck, but also the position of each card (and therefore the card at each position also). It's actually not as hard as it seems and you could have it memorised in a day or two.

Having this knowledge opens up so many doors for possibilities.

If however you're talking about memorising a deck or packet during a trick, secretly or as part of the effect, that would be considerably more difficult. It is worth exploring, but I would recommend finding a way to "appear to memorise" the deck if it forms part of the effect. That's always going to be easier and will achieve the same outcome.

@Sky, that work can be avoided by using a complete stack. That way you can show the entire deck freely and easily learn which card/s have been selected by looking at the one above or below the selection (or by other methods, depending on the selection process).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
There's a few guys doing this. Jamie D Grant is one - he does it in under a minute. Here's a link to his PDF Explaining his technique: http://www.sendwonder.com/products/scenic-52 I haven't read it, but I suspect it's the Loci/Memory Palace technique due to the name.

I don't know of any specific tricks that involve memorizing the whole deck legitimately. Most magicians aren't willing to put the time and effort into developing the skills involved with that. However, those techniques have been around a very long time. As in the Romans used them and I don't think they invented them. So they are actually freely available to pretty much anyone willing to put the energy into researching it.

One good article I like is here: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/...ng-you-want-a-quick-primer-on-mental-mapping/ - which explains the basics of the Loci/Memory Palace method.

Harry Lorrayne's Memory Book covers this a bit, as well as the Linked List and Peg systems.

There's also other programs out there for sale that may be of benefit but I believe it's just a matter of learning the basics and developing from there. Mostly it's about learning to file information correctly.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
Rick Lax teaches a system as part of his Binary Code. I don't remember if it is the whole deck or just the colours though

Dec 5, 2014
Rick Lax teaches a system as part of his Binary Code. I don't remember if it is the whole deck or just the colours though

I seem to remember Binary Code being about the colours, not the actual suit/value of the cards. I say your best bet for a whole deck is some form of Memorized stack. I personally use the Aronson stack, but any memorized stack of 52 cards would work, I suppose. As for memorizing the order of a completely shuffled randomized deck....this would require some extreme mental work, and not something I'd really want to put the effort into for the small satisfaction it would give me. Just not worth the effort in my opinion, but I suppose it could be done if you could come up with a crazy enough story in your head for all 52 cards. Again you're talking some extreme mental work here, but I've no doubt it could be done.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
@ChristopherT That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for! I thought of the idea after I heard of someone in Guiness Book of World Records memorizing the order of 49 decks and making only ONE mistake (but quickly corrected himself). I figure ONE deck should be a breeze--at least, in comparison. I figure this whole thing will take me at least two years to peg down. But thank you for the links! I'll start with The Art of Manliness and see where it goes!

Dec 29, 2011
@ChristopherT That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for! I thought of the idea after I heard of someone in Guiness Book of World Records memorizing the order of 49 decks and making only ONE mistake (but quickly corrected himself). I figure ONE deck should be a breeze--at least, in comparison. I figure this whole thing will take me at least two years to peg down. But thank you for the links! I'll start with The Art of Manliness and see where it goes!

If you're at all interested in these topics, I'd definitely recommend Scenic52, as well as Mnemonica. I got both at the very end of last year and its been great so far. If you take it at the pace in the book you'll be able to memorise an entire deck easily within a couple of weeks, faster if you want to practice more than he recommends. The first time you do it should take 4-5 minutes and it might take a few tries before you do it without mistakes. Whats also great about it is that within the system he teaches for memorising a shuffled deck, you learn the mnemonica stack with it, its just how he has designed it, so Juan's book is an excellent companion to it, Juan's book contains SO much more than the stack itself and the memorisaiton process. Also with Jamie's technique you'll be able to name the location of each card and the card at each location as well as the order.

There's a few guys doing this. Jamie D Grant is one - he does it in under a minute. Here's a link to his PDF Explaining his technique: http://www.sendwonder.com/products/scenic-52 I haven't read it, but I suspect it's the Loci/Memory Palace technique due to the name.

That is correct Christopher, in addition to the Loci system it includes the POA system and a combination of the major system/another numbers system that I cant think of the name right now. By combining these different techniques its designed so that you also automatically learn the mnemonica stack. Derren Brown also has some great published material on similar topics.

By the way, the world record for a single shuffled deck is approximately 24 seconds! A great goal to work towards, but I think the system used for that is a little more compact than this.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks for the personal info Wyatt - I've been dipping my toe into memory work here and there but I'm certainly no expert (I'm not familiar with the acronym POA, for instance). Nice to hear from someone who's worked with it. Maybe I'll pick up Scenic 52 to push me a bit further.

Here's the thing I've realized - Memory work isn't nearly as hard as many make it out to be. Seriously. We think it is, because we're not really trained to use our minds any more (At least in the US). We let ourselves rely on notepads, and cell phones, and Google, and Siri. But I could probably teach you the linked list method in one sentence and you'll never have to write another grocery list in your life. It takes minutes to learn at most. The Peg system is a little more involved, and requires more maintenance, but again the concept only takes moments to learn. Same with the Loci method. After that it's just a bit of work to integrate it into your habits, and you're good to go. Just do it and I bet it's easier than it seems.

Personally, I use the skills I learn for performance in my daily life. While I haven't done a lot of memory work, I do use it on a regular basis. Some folks are fine with creating the illusion of having a memory - I say just do it for real so no matter what you can perform it (Whether you've got your prepared deck, or if they just say "Memorize this!") - and it helps you in your life as well.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
This is basically the loki method with 6 decks of cards. All of the Clubs are different magicians, all the hearts are family members, all of the Diamonds are celebrities and all of the Spades are dead people. I know their position in the deck by which room I place that person in my house:

Dec 29, 2011
Thats quite alright.

Here's the thing I've realized - Memory work isn't nearly as hard as many make it out to be. Seriously. We think it is, because we're not really trained to use our minds any more (At least in the US). We let ourselves rely on notepads, and cell phones, and Google, and Siri. But I could probably teach you the linked list method in one sentence and you'll never have to write another grocery list in your life. It takes minutes to learn at most. The Peg system is a little more involved, and requires more maintenance, but again the concept only takes moments to learn. Same with the Loci method. After that it's just a bit of work to integrate it into your habits, and you're good to go. Just do it and I bet it's easier than it seems.

This is so absolutely true. These memory techniques are very easy to understand and implement, certain things like memorising an entire shuffled deck will take a bit of work, but its still comprised of these simple techniques. These core techniques can be applied to things like: Remembering people's names, phone numbers and addresses, grocery lists, timetables, scores, lists of random words and just about anything else that contains numbers and letters. So everything haha. All these things only take a few minutes to learn and implement.

If you've been trying a bit of memory stuff, and you havent read Derren Brown's book Tricks of the Mind then it is a fantastic early step. Make sure to read the book and not just the audio book, the printed version goes into a lot more detail. It covers all these basic things, Mnemonics, Peg system, Loci system, a Major system variation, names and more. All succinctly and elegantly, he is such an enjoyable author to read. This is just one chapter too, other chapters include: Close up magic, Hypnosis, Body language and Pseudo science. It really is an excellent book.

Dec 29, 2011
This is basically the loki method with 6 decks of cards. All of the Clubs are different magicians, all the hearts are family members, all of the Diamonds are celebrities and all of the Spades are dead people. I know their position in the deck by which room I place that person in my house:

Aside from the obvious mistakes, you still did a great job! Six decks is heaps, I can just manage one, perhaps one day I will proceed further. I just have a little question, based on the method you described, I don't understand how you were managing to remember only the values of some cards but the suit and value of others? How could your mental images only tell you the value and not the suits if each person was in a suit category? (Magicians, Family members etc.)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Aside from the obvious mistakes, you still did a great job! Six decks is heaps, I can just manage one, perhaps one day I will proceed further. I just have a little question, based on the method you described, I don't understand how you were managing to remember only the values of some cards but the suit and value of others? How could your mental images only tell you the value and not the suits if each person was in a suit category? (Magicians, Family members etc.)

It depends, I got lazy in a couple of places and left out the suit. Some of the values have similar characters. For instance the Queen of Spades is Audrey Hepburn and the Queen of Diamonds is Julia Roberts. Both are glamorous female celebrities. If the picture isn't clear enough in mind it gets confusing. Another example is with the Sevens. The Seven of Spades is my deceased grandpa but the Seven of Hearts is my grandma, they both loved to work in the garden so I might picture one of them planting a garden in my living room. When I go through the pictures in my head it gets a little confusing.

This video isn't all that it seems either. I'm using the loki method for the most part but I have a magicky safety net to fall back on when I get lost.

Jul 24, 2016
Guys I'm new to magic and I'm reading a book named "Memories are made of this" by aronson. I could not understand this part.

Pulse Reading
Here’s a simple but quite fooling effect. Have a spectator cut off a packet from the top of the tabled deck,
look at the card she’s cut to (the one at the face of her packet), and then shuffle her packet. She then ribbon
spreads her shuffled packet face up across the table in front of you. You take the spectator’s wrist, to feel
her pulse, ask her to merely think of her card, as you move her hand back and forth across the tabled spread.
Slowly, you lower her hand down until it lands on just one card, say the Seven of Diamonds. And, of course,
you’re correct. How? Because as you move your hand over the cards, you silently and secretly count the
number of cards comprising the entire spread. Suppose you count a total of 15 cards; that means that the
spectator originally cut to the 15th card (which in the Aronson stack is the 7D). The rest is just acting, as
though you’re reading her pulse and being “guided” by it. It can be a quite convincing demonstration.

How did he know that the spectator thought of the 7D when in fact he just ask the spectator to cut the packet and shuffle it. even if you did memorize the stack how would you know what she though off?

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Memories Are Made of This is an entire booklet devoted to tricks with a memorized deck. That is, you know what the top card is, the 2nd card, the 3rd and 4th cards, etc. All the way down to the 52nd card. If someone asks you what the 14th card from the top is, you know it. Likewise, if someone asks you where the Queen of Hearts is, you can tell them the exact position from the top (as well as the cards on either side of the QH).

In the trick you described, Simon only needs to know how many cards the spectator cut off. Since she cut off 15 cards (and looked at the bottom card) once you count the packet after it's spread face-up on the table you'll know that she must've looked at the Seven of Diamonds.

Hope that helps. If it's still unclear then you're probably reading a book that's a bit too advanced for you.

Jason

Reactions: miltongo08
Jul 24, 2016
Memories Are Made of This is an entire booklet devoted to tricks with a memorized deck. That is, you know what the top card is, the 2nd card, the 3rd and 4th cards, etc. All the way down to the 52nd card. If someone asks you what the 14th card from the top is, you know it. Likewise, if someone asks you where the Queen of Hearts is, you can tell them the exact position from the top (as well as the cards on either side of the QH).

In the trick you described, Simon only needs to know how many cards the spectator cut off. Since she cut off 15 cards (and looked at the bottom card) once you count the packet after it's spread face-up on the table you'll know that she must've looked at the Seven of Diamonds.

Hope that helps. If it's still unclear then you're probably reading a book that's a bit too advanced for you.

Jason
Thanks finally got it.

Reactions: Martin Eret
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results