How 'Rich' are Magicians?

It's both...

$1,000 a gig is insane, however $10 a gig is even more insane in my opinion.

I won't state the price that I charge, but it is in the hundreds (100, 200, 300, etc), and I consider myself to be under-charging at that price. Amature magicians (and by amature I mean the ones that do it as a side income) charge around $300, and professionals charge in the THOUSANDS. Go to gigmasters and look at the max price for some of the pros on there....If someone charges $200 an hour, sure it's under-pricing, but it doesn't really hurt any other working amatures out there, however by charging $10-$30 a show makes the booker think that is the normal price, and when then go to hire another magician- one who charges the average price- they will not book that magician because they are used to a price that is 30 times less than the norm. By charging $10-$30 a show, even $50 a show, you are selling out every working amature in your area who charges a fair price.

Ask a working amature in your area....chances are they charge anywhere from $200-$400 a show, and do 4-10 shows a month if they're really into it and 2-5 if they really do it as more of a hobby then a side job. So yes, it is how many times you make the money, however it also matters equally as much how much you make too- even if you don't care about the money but do it so that all the other magicians in your area have a fair chance of getting a gig.

~David Rysin

Yea...you're gonna hate me too probably. And let's get this out of the way beforehand to, that there are just my opinions. :)

$1,000 a gig is not insane...in fact, it's not even that unusual for most. I can't say I've been there before, but I know quite a few magicians that don't even get off the couch for less than a few grand....one of them has a contract with AMResorts in Mexico and does 5 shows a week year round (with 3 months off during the holidays here).

I also find it kind of funny how you say what others charge, like "Amature magicians (and by amature I mean the ones that do it as a side income) charge around $300" <<direct quote<<

I'm semi-pro. That means (for me atleast) that I'm not doing this full time, as I'm also going to school as well and am actively involved in sports. But, magic is my primary income too, and it's how I pay my car insurance, cell phone bill, gas, food (when I go out to eat w/ friends), etc. While my parents are awesome, I still pay most of my own bills. But, I don't charge $300/hour. Right now, I charge $150/hour. I also have a 30 minute close up show where I charge $125 for. Those are MY rates....not to be determined by anything else except what the market in my area can bare.

To put a specific price out there for ANYONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF is just plain crazy...no ifs, ands, or buts about it. $150 an hour here could be $500 an hour out in California...pricing depends on so many variables and factors that it's absolutely insane to try to put a definite number on any of it.

Now on to another point...me personally, I don't care what others charge. I used to, before I realized how little it affects me in the long run. Sure, I might lose a gig or two to someone under-charging, but I could also lose one due to me under-charging. What I mean by that is that some people base quality off of what you charge. If it's not "up there" with the other pros in your area, you'll end up standing out. Not in a good way mind you.

For me, I try to find that all important median for what I charge, versus what others charge in my area. But then again, it's a double edged sword for myself...I'm practically the ONLY magician in my area. It's good because I have little competition, so I don't have to worry about that. But it's also bad in case I ever need a sub for me at Red Robin. And if you want to talk rates, me being the only magician in my area doesn't allow for clients to check around to see what a "fair" price is. They see $150/hour and simply judge it off of what they make. That simply sounds ludicrous to your average Joe making $30 an hour, working 40 hours a week.

Best.
Steve

Yea...you're gonna hate me too probably. And let's get this out of the way beforehand to, that there are just my opinions. :)

$1,000 a gig is not insane...in fact, it's not even that unusual for most. I can't say I've been there before, but I know quite a few magicians that don't even get off the couch for less than a few grand....one of them has a contract with AMResorts in Mexico and does 5 shows a week year round (with 3 months off during the holidays here).

I also find it kind of funny how you say what others charge, like "Amature magicians (and by amature I mean the ones that do it as a side income) charge around $300" <<direct quote<<

I'm semi-pro. That means (for me atleast) that I'm not doing this full time, as I'm also going to school as well and am actively involved in sports. But, magic is my primary income too, and it's how I pay my car insurance, cell phone bill, gas, food (when I go out to eat w/ friends), etc. While my parents are awesome, I still pay most of my own bills. But, I don't charge $300/hour. Right now, I charge $150/hour. I also have a 30 minute close up show where I charge $125 for. Those are MY rates....not to be determined by anything else except what the market in my area can bare.

To put a specific price out there for ANYONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF is just plain crazy...no ifs, ands, or buts about it. $150 an hour here could be $500 an hour out in California...pricing depends on so many variables and factors that it's absolutely insane to try to put a definite number on any of it.

Now on to another point...me personally, I don't care what others charge. I used to, before I realized how little it affects me in the long run. Sure, I might lose a gig or two to someone under-charging, but I could also lose one due to me under-charging. What I mean by that is that some people base quality off of what you charge. If it's not "up there" with the other pros in your area, you'll end up standing out. Not in a good way mind you.

For me, I try to find that all important median for what I charge, versus what others charge in my area. But then again, it's a double edged sword for myself...I'm practically the ONLY magician in my area. It's good because I have little competition, so I don't have to worry about that. But it's also bad in case I ever need a sub for me at Red Robin. And if you want to talk rates, me being the only magician in my area doesn't allow for clients to check around to see what a "fair" price is. They see $150/hour and simply judge it off of what they make. That simply sounds ludicrous to your average Joe making $30 an hour, working 40 hours a week.

Best.
Steve

Haha Steve, I'm not going to hate you for saying that, in fact I agree with you 100%. My previous post was just to point out that he shouldn't be charging $1,000 if he's not in it to make money, but he shouldn't be charging anything less than $100 either. I'm also friends with a magician who won't get off of his couch for less than $2,500, and most of the time he is flown into Florida to do that show, as far as the $300 an hour goes, that's how much another friend of mine has been charging for decades now who does magic as a side job along with some other part-timers in my area and I was just using it as an example. The point I was trying to convey in my post was that even if you're not in it for the money, charging $10 is ludicrous in my opinion. I apologize if that was hard to understand in my previous post.

~David Rysin

Anthony, you should charge what you feel you are worth, and if you are happy with that payment, then that is the best route to go. I personally charge in regards to how hard I work in magic and how much I feel my hard work is worth for a potential client. I factor in a few different things such as amount of people, age range, and length of time and all of that contributes to my price.

For stage shows, you can charge admission based on the same premise, but you have much more control of who your audience is composed of and a lot of your admission pricing will depend the ratio of expenses to profits.

If you want to learn about the business side of magic, I would highly recommend you talk to some working professionals in your area.

What you're saying there is one thing I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT DO. Charging based on the factors of a specific gig...NOT GOOD! I've said this time and again (after I learned it for myself), YOUR FEE IS YOUR FEE!

To get into the habit of charging different prices for different gigs (unless it's a completely different show, such as strolling versus stand up) is just a bad thing to get into. I know many magicians that do it, but many more that don't. If I'm hired for a strolling gig of 500 people, I'm going to give them the same price as if I'm hired for a strolling gig of 50 people. They both get the same treatment and the same show, so why would I want to differentiate my price? To get more money? Sure...that'd definitely be nice, no doubt about it. But, wouldn't be smart.

What if that same person that books you for that gig with 500 people wants to book you for a personal party a year later? Imagine their surprise when you charge substantially less, just because of the number of people. I highly doubt you'd be getting that second gig, that's for sure.

As for taking business advice from magicians....sure, not a really bad thing. But, if you want to really get into it, do yourself a favor and pick up a book on sales NOT written by a magician...it'll definitely be worth it.

Best.
Steve

EDIT: David...no prob bro! ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results