A heckler first.

Jan 2, 2016
California
In my minimal experience performing for other teenagers, I have met hecklers of all sorts. From the people who actively try to ruin the trick by restricting you in weird ways to the people who will try to grab the cards from you. But this was a new experience for me.

I was performing WikiTest, which for those of you who don't know, is a book test using Wikipedia where you are able to divine the article they looked up as well as a word chosen at random on a page. The method is genius and although I won't reveal it here, it does not involve any sort of stooging or even dual reality. Despite this, after the trick, people who weren't directly involved will often ask the participant if they were in on it, to which they have always responded "no".

My roommate asked me to do a trick for a small group of his friends who I was unfamiliar with. I decided to go with WikiTest since it hits hard and doesn't use cards. I do the whole routine and while they're reacting, one of the girls in the group asks the guy I did the trick for if he was in on it in some way.

The guy says something like "Yea before the trick he coached me on what to say and told me not to tell you guys". I can't remember exactly what he said, but I know it wasn't some sort of misunderstanding.

I was thinking "you d*ck" and left without even trying to argue. He literally had no reason to lie like that other than to make me look bad. I'm not upset about it. I'm honestly just kind of surprised because I've literally never had anything like that before. I kinda get the guys who shout out how the trick is done or try to intentionally screw you up. But I've never had someone intentionally lie just to make me look bad.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Fortunately I haven't encountered something like that, however there really isn't much you can do once the piece of garbage says something like that. One thing you could do before the performance begins is to ask who would like to help and to confirm that you two haven't set anything up, and if people have doubts about the person you chose, then move onto someone else until everyone is happy with the person you selected. I've also found that in those types of groups, the males are more likely to purposefully either make you look bad or try to mess you up (because for some reason they think it makes them look more alpha?).

I personally would have told this to the guy immediately in front of everyone: "My roommate politely asked me to perform for his friends and thought you would enjoy it, I certainly don't appreciate you lying to everyone and disrespecting me like that. I'll remember to never perform for you again." and then thank everyone else for being engaged and respectful. That will shut him up real good and hopefully send him a message.

Nov 3, 2018
As a teenager myself, please let me apologize for the impossible behaviour you encounter. Honestly, even though I don't do things like that myself (of course I, as a would-be magician myself, have a different perspective), I feel really bad about how some people behave.
Even though I won't pretend to fully understand myself or others my age perfectly, I'll take a guess as to what the reasons are.
First thought that came to mind was that the guy meant it ironically. He may be the sort of guy whose sarcasm is only really clear when you know him a little better. However, if, as you said, a misunderstanding was impossible, then I'll go with Casey's assumption that it was to "show off", make himself seem more alpha. He may have wanted a share of your laurels (is that an expression in English?), you know, along the lines of "I was in on the trick, therefore I have done something amazing as well". Especially if it was a girl asking him, it may have been some stupid joke/showing off; guys tend to act incredibly stupid when there are girls around.

One other thing I wanted to say is about the sort of people out to ruin your trick. If they're teens (especially boys), it's often to - again - seem more alpha. However, let's differentiate: There are also the kind of people who are simply curious. And of course there are those who get some childish delight out of calling out the magician on what he did, who see the trick as a sort of competition between magician and audience. And one thing I've noticed: Many people don't even get why you don't want the trick revealed, not as such. Some weeks back I was performing a card trick for a couple of friends, it was a simple overhand shuffle control, for which, of course, you need to hold a break in the deck. While I was holding the break another friend came up from behind, which I didn't notice at first, saw the break and made some knowing remark - not even saying what I was doing, just a sort of "Aha, I see what you're doing there". The poor guy absolutely didn't get why I was so mad at him!

Anyway, the point is: Some people are mean-spirited and others just don't have the magician's perspective of why keeping the trick secret is so important. While I'm really sorry about the way some people behave, let's try to differentiate.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
One thing you could do before the performance begins is to ask who would like to help and to confirm that you two haven't set anything up, and if people have doubts about the person you chose, then move onto someone else until everyone is happy with the person you selected.

If this happens frequently, @Casey Rudd's idea is perfect.

I personally would have told this to the guy immediately in front of everyone: "My roommate politely asked me to perform for his friends and thought you would enjoy it, I certainly don't appreciate you lying to everyone and disrespecting me like that. I'll remember to never perform for you again." and then thank everyone else for being engaged and respectful. That will shut him up real good and hopefully send him a message.

I think that could be taken the wrong way and the performer seems like the jerk and it actually seems to confirm that the spectator was in on it. My suggestion would be more along the lines of "That's funny, I don't remember talking to you. I don't know why you would say that." Turning to the rest of the audience as if to exclude that person, "Let me show you guys something that I think you will enjoy."

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
The guy says something like "Yea before the trick he coached me on what to say and told me not to tell you guys". I can't remember exactly what he said, but I know it wasn't some sort of misunderstanding.
This not only sucks, but it makes me scared of performing now:eek:

I've only ever gotten hecklers who pretend they know everything, and some too-nice people who say its their card even when it isn't. *sigh*

Anyways, I think the advice already given is pretty much accurate. If you ever feel pissed off, just roll your eyes because, mortals, what do they know? :p

Anyways, I don't think this world has too many people like these, who so desperately want the limelight on themselves that they lie when they know that at least one person in this rooms knows they're lying. That's a pretty much revolting behaviour...

Btw, just out of curiosity (and I don't recommend this, honestly, but just saying...) I'd like to know what this guy said if you've confronted him privately about this...

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I think that could be taken the wrong way and the performer seems like the jerk and it actually seems to confirm that the spectator was in on it. My suggestion would be more along the lines of "That's funny, I don't remember talking to you. I don't know why you would say that." Turning to the rest of the audience as if to exclude that person, "Let me show you guys something that I think you will enjoy."

This is definitely the better route to go. I would only reserve my quips for when it is obvious the heckler is just being an ass for the sake of being one and being rude on purpose. If they want to be blunt with me, I'll be blunt at them back. Only use this in super casual performance scenarios, like if your friend asks you to perform for his friends, and NOT in a more formal setting or if you've been hired for an event.

Some of this is also a pushback to the idea that magicians are monkeys and we follow the commands from our audience, like "hey magician, do that trick for my friend." and they expect us to be pushovers and bend to their will. Sometimes we have to stand our ground, and if that means being a bit of an ass then I'm fine with it :)

Jan 2, 2016
California
This is definitely the better route to go. I would only reserve my quips for when it is obvious the heckler is just being an ass for the sake of being one and being rude on purpose. If they want to be blunt with me, I'll be blunt at them back. Only use this in super casual performance scenarios, like if your friend asks you to perform for his friends, and NOT in a more formal setting or if you've been hired for an event.

Some of this is also a pushback to the idea that magicians are monkeys and we follow the commands from our audience, like "hey magician, do that trick for my friend." and they expect us to be pushovers and bend to their will. Sometimes we have to stand our ground, and if that means being a bit of an ass then I'm fine with it :)
Lately I haven't been too bothered by the "Anthony do a trick" stuff because I'm not great at taking the initiative to perform myself. So usually I'm okay with when people are like "show me/them magic". Idk if that's a good thing or not but as of right now, I don't mind it.

Reactions: CaseyRudd
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results