Can't stop getting the shakes!

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Don't do drugs? :D Haha.

Maybe start off with a practically self working trick. Then you can judge the audience's suspicion and use sleight of hand accordingly...

Also, perform for people you know really well... then move onto people you know but not too well... then a few people who you've seen rarely, then you can go for strangers...

Oct 16, 2007
Don't do drugs? :D Haha.

Maybe start off with a practically self working trick. Then you can judge the audience's suspicion and use sleight of hand accordingly...

Also, perform for people you know really well... then move onto people you know but not too well... then a few people who you've seen rarely, then you can go for strangers...

Self-working trick? What do you mean by that? Colour changes etc etc?

Shaking isn't always just nerves. It's good to be nervous, keeps you cautious and mindful of things like angles and finger positions. It's also adrenaline because you're excited. I've been doing magic for a few years and I shake in front of people I know well more than strangers. I think that is because I get a bigger rush fooling them than regular people because it's harder to fool my friends now. Usually I'll do one trick well, then get a bit shakey - that's when you do a self working trick (self working meaning no slight of hand) and let the adrenaline rush subside, then move onto something technical again.
Some people just don't get as nervous or as excited as others, if you do shake, just work around it. Eventually you will shake less and less, but what fun would it be if doing magic didn't excite you?

Hope that has helped a bit. :)

Sep 1, 2007
It happens to everyone... Once you get more experienced, and start practicing magic for a few years everything will be fine. And don't try to flourish when you have the shakes. I tried it when I started around a few years ago and it wasn't a good site. Practice performing the BASICS not flourishes because remember the most simple tricks hit the hardest and get the greatest reactions!

Alex

Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
It's not so much nerves as nervous energy, excitement, adrenaline etc. Steadiness comes with performance experience. In my first gig I noticed that my hands only shook when I was doing tricks that I probably hadn't been doing as long as some of my other effects. The tricks that I know really well and am really fluent with just came and I had fun with them. I also find that I shake when I am thinking to much about what I am doing...
Okay, execute the double lift but make sure that no edges are showing and then get your hands in position for a half-pass and, oh, I have to be talking aswell...
I find that if I am practised enough I can just let go and loosen up and have fun with my magic. I wont make a mistake because I simply know what I'm doing. And when I am losened up, I don't shake.
If you are really worried about it, take some theatre classes, public speaking courses and get used to being infront of people. Experience. Hang in there.

Dec 14, 2007
There are many reasons as to why we shake. Sometimes medication can cause it. Sometimes it's nerves. Sometimes it the way we are holding our body - we create a tension that results in shaking.

Are you holding yourself tightly? Are you breathing?

Trying focusing on both and see if that helps.

Brad Henderson

Oct 16, 2007
I'm very glad you've started this thread as I am positive that many of the forum goers also experience this- just as I do from time to time- and what better venue to discuss such a dilemma.

In all honesty, I thought it was a personal neurochemical problem when I first came across my shakes as I've performed in concerts with various bands throughout my days with nary a shake. So why, I wondered, would I shake performing a two card monte for two people while I didn't shake while covering one of my favorite bands in front of a crowd? The answer: Because I'm enamored by magic. I want every trick to amaze and impress anyone who sees it as much as it amazed and impressed me when I first saw it performed. (The fact that I've been involved in prestidigitation 4 years less than I've been playing guitar, I'm sure, also plays a part.)

As previously mentioned, the shakes can be caused by many different elements, acting individually or in concert. I will join the others in saying that you will overcome these shakes. Mirror time was key to me getting over them- I knew when I went out with a trick that I had seen myself perform said trick from at least 270 degrees around. Knowing your angles- along with handlings- will solidify in your mind that you do in fact have an audience ready trick. Confidence in your (or someone else's) magic will help you triumph- no puns intended

Always,
David

Dec 2, 2007
I've been learning and performing magic for 1 year. Yet, lately my nerves are going willd and my hands keep shaking, any tips of getting rid of this?

Everyone here has offered a lot of good advise. What you are experiencing is completely normal and even professionals get a case of the nerves from time to time.

Amy G. Dala has taught me a few things about fear over the years, so I offer up this humble advise:

* Change your thinking on things like butterfly's in the stomach and hand trembling. To use a martial context: an inexperienced fighter looks at these things as indicators of being afraid (or a coward); however an experienced fighter starts to recognize these indicators as signs of combat readiness. Trembling is a fight or flight response that basically tells you to start moving (either to run or to start swinging fists). But rather than tossing a cloud of cards at your spectators face and they running away (ninja style) or punching out a nearby heckler (David Stone style) I would suggest "running to the roar". Seek out every experience (magic or other) you can that causes these feelings. Over time it is possible to turn what was originally perceived as weakness into strength. Joining a local Toastmaster's Club and learning public speaking can go a long way to making you a more effective communicator and help build your confidence.

* Build "muscle memory" by repeated practice of your techniques or routines. With the proper amount of practice it is possible to go on "autopilot" when fear hits. Be aware of the normal pace of your routines as a common problem is that even with good muscle memory people often speed up their speech and speed of movement when they are excited.

* Use humor to put both yourself and your audience at ease. (Don't forget to smile!) I once saw a video of a Geoff Latta performance and his hands started trembling. Rather than letting it get to him, he looks at the trembling and says, "Wow, is there an earthquake in here, or is it just me?" The line got a laugh (everone has been there) and he continued on with confidence.

* Put the focus on the spectator. This is hard to do if performing one-on-one, but when performing for groups it can be helpful to have a few routines where the spectator is the focus of attention. People like to watch people and with magic it can be very fun for a spectator to see the reaction on their friends face when they get fried, or completely baffling when their friend cuts to the aces.

If you find these things don't work well for you then supplement your magic training with other activities which build confidence, like taking a martial art or learning western boxing. Sort of hard to get bend out of shape over getting caught doing a double-lift when you are use to far worse things coming your way (like fists). You may find that bungee jumping or jumping out of airplanes takes the edge off..

I hope this helps,

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Usually shaking and nervousness comes from over thinking instead of acceptance. Just quite thinking so much and just have fun with what your doing. Who cares if you mess up your not perfect just make a strong come back and regain control this helps me.

Shane:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results