Why "FREAKING OUT" isn't always the best reaction...

Hey guys,

I've been thinking alot how other magicians think. Yeah, kinda weird, but I have for some reason. (I was bored :p)

Now think for a second and I know it's hard for most of you guys, but think of why you complete your trick. Think of why you do the trick in the first place. Think of why you do magic.

I don't know why you guys do it, but I do it because honestly, it's just fun for me. I love to have a good time and it just so happends that magic is what I like to do for fun best. And that's really the whole point of magic and the entertainment industry in the first place. It's to have the performers and the audience have a good time.

Todays younger magicians focus is all wrong. Not all of yalls, but most of you. How many of you here's main focus is to get that freak out reaction? Raise your hand...now if you just raised your hand, your dumb because your sitting there by yourself on the computer raising your hand for no reason because someone told you too. But most of you guys probrably said yes in your mind and this was my goal for a long time too. Is to get that freak out reaction out of people.

Freak out reactions to most magicians are the best types of reactions and the most enjoyable to you. And some of you when you dont get this reaction and instead they stand or sit or whatever gigleing or sitting there silent, you guys get disapointed. Because YOU didn't get the reaction YOU wanted. When in reality, it's not about YOU.

You have to let the spectator enjoy themselves just as much as you enjoy performing for them. They dont have to FREAK OUT for them to have a good time. Let them react any way they feel is more FUN for them. You DONT have to have your entire performance trying to scare your audience in your tricks to get a good reaction. Most likely, if you hang back and hang loose and go with the flow and be natural they will have a better time and you will have a better time.

If in turn they DO freak out when you dont try to FORCE them to freak out, then that's great good for you. But if they don't, don't get down on yourself because that will hurt your performance and hurt your audience chances of having fun.

The center of the universe shouldn't be around your audiences reaction, it should be the fun they and you are having through-out the ENTIRE effect and performance.

Sometimes a smile or a look of astonishment in their eyes is a hell of alot better for your spectator than a FREAK OUT.

Have a good one,

I agree. This is especially true with different types of tricks. Certain tricks are not meant to be freak out tricks... Some are meant to get people on an emotional level. In an extreme example, Daniel Garcia's LIFE. Sometimes the silence is the best reaction you can get, and sometimes the dropped jaw. You have to be able to read people... Which I hope you can do since you're a magician. Over time you'll begin to understand the different kinds of people/reactions and you'll notice some people are effected by certain tricks differently than others... At least in my experience.

I agree. This is especially true with different types of tricks. Certain tricks are not meant to be freak out tricks... Some are meant to get people on an emotional level. In an extreme example, Daniel Garcia's LIFE. Sometimes the silence is the best reaction you can get, and sometimes the dropped jaw. You have to be able to read people... Which I hope you can do since you're a magician. Over time you'll begin to understand the different kinds of people/reactions and you'll notice some people are effected by certain tricks differently than others... At least in my experience.

Exactly. And even when it is a mentalism effect, you should have to feel that you HAVE to have that creepy feel to that trick. When I'm doing a simple mind read, I make it funny and I still get the same or even better reaction than I would I did the whole Criss Angel creepy stare thing.

Do what YOU feel would be more fun and more fitting for YOU and focus on not the reaction, but the follow up to the reaction and the fun your audience is having...

for me its as simple as this. i see my self as a entertainer and nothing more. i aim to entertain not to "freak people out". if i do somthing to make someone freak out... well jolly o i guess, but i just want people to have fun

Sep 1, 2007
The best reaction there is is of the sense of amazement and awe. Not just a puzzled-reaction. There is a difference.

And different people exhibits the sense of amazement in lots lots of ways. They may laugh - slightly or hysterically. They may freak out. Or they may remain silent for a while....just let them bubble up...

Just sit back and let them enjoy it.

Freaking out, laughing and silence are not the real reactions. They are just the instance of the real reaction within - the sense of awe. The real greatest reaction that I can think of.

Alel

hey goofy,

i just read this on Ellusionist

it's a good point and i agree, but i still love the really loud and spectacular reactions some extroverted people have. plus i fins those types of people often tell others about the performance enhancing your reputation.

keep it up.

cheers

Aug 31, 2007
Hey guys,

I've been thinking alot how other magicians think. Yeah, kinda weird, but I have for some reason. (I was bored :p)

Now think for a second and I know it's hard for most of you guys, but think of why you complete your trick. Think of why you do the trick in the first place. Think of why you do magic.

I don't know why you guys do it, but I do it because honestly, it's just fun for me. I love to have a good time and it just so happends that magic is what I like to do for fun best. And that's really the whole point of magic and the entertainment industry in the first place. It's to have the performers and the audience have a good time.

Todays younger magicians focus is all wrong. Not all of yalls, but most of you. How many of you here's main focus is to get that freak out reaction? Raise your hand...now if you just raised your hand, your dumb because your sitting there by yourself on the computer raising your hand for no reason because someone told you too. But most of you guys probrably said yes in your mind and this was my goal for a long time too. Is to get that freak out reaction out of people.

Freak out reactions to most magicians are the best types of reactions and the most enjoyable to you. And some of you when you dont get this reaction and instead they stand or sit or whatever gigleing or sitting there silent, you guys get disapointed. Because YOU didn't get the reaction YOU wanted. When in reality, it's not about YOU.

You have to let the spectator enjoy themselves just as much as you enjoy performing for them. They dont have to FREAK OUT for them to have a good time. Let them react any way they feel is more FUN for them. You DONT have to have your entire performance trying to scare your audience in your tricks to get a good reaction. Most likely, if you hang back and hang loose and go with the flow and be natural they will have a better time and you will have a better time.

If in turn they DO freak out when you dont try to FORCE them to freak out, then that's great good for you. But if they don't, don't get down on yourself because that will hurt your performance and hurt your audience chances of having fun.

The center of the universe shouldn't be around your audiences reaction, it should be the fun they and you are having through-out the ENTIRE effect and performance.

Sometimes a smile or a look of astonishment in their eyes is a hell of alot better for your spectator than a FREAK OUT.

Have a good one,

If you don't mind me asking, what is your age?

Sep 4, 2007
Fourteen?

You talk about "younger magicians" as if you aren't one.

You are.

I get your point, though. I agree to some extent, but, I think it is entirely based on the personality traits of the observer. Different people react differently to different stimuli, so I guess just let it be what it is?

Jul 13, 2009
Found another treasure,

*keeps sniffing around under the muck, because clearly this is going to be a dogs job*

May 3, 2008
The reaction doesn't matter. The way they show their amazement doesn't change how much they were amazed. If people are known for being loud, they'll probably yell or scream. Some people, instead of thinking that you're truly magic, will think of it from a logical stand point. They are more impressed thinking that it's clever and smart instead of magic. Those reactions are just as good as the loud ones.

In my opinion, the best reaction is laughter. Freaking out/scaring/ inducing some extreme emotional reaction in the spectator is not my aim. If they are laughing, it means they are having a good time. And with all the cr@p going on in the world today, that is a great thing.

Peace

Rev

Jul 13, 2009
I dug your post- NOT gonna lie.

That's all

*ears perk*

I am sorry did you say something? I had something irrelevant in my ear.

Personally I prefer a quiet crowd, *covers ears* My ears are very sensitive. Though an occasional screamer is okay it isn't necessity for me. Just out of curiosity, when filming live performances do you observe different reactions from your spectators then if the camera wasn't there?

*has a seat in his stool, yes the werewolf can be in two rooms at once.*

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results