A Dangerous Question (Not supposed to a funny title)

Dec 22, 2007
I think it's the way he presents change in his videos that causes the "camera editing" theory. I'm sure if Chad Nelson released a video of him doing the clipshift with the same gritty style of the change videos, we would be having the same debate with it. Change takes us back to being laymen, not knowing what's real and fake. We're all acting like hecklers in this thread...hehe. I guess once your a magician you lose the magic in magic.

but in the clipshift, you have the whole deck where all cards are available to cover the top card and do the change. also, half of the deck is covered, which makes you think that a card might be palmed due to all that coverage(is that a word?) if you watch it you can actually see that it might be possible.

in change, there is absolutely no sign of sleight of hand. no covering whatsoever. its to good to be true. check mate, fascist.

Speaking of Change being impossible/possible.... is this possible? http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xfc4s918tRQ enough said. :)

-Doug

if it was, David Copperfield wouldn't need a car.

D

Deleted member 2755

if it was, David Copperfield wouldn't need a car.

By the logic you just used, you are implying that Daniel Madison actually changed a card into another LITERALLY! As this is not a sleight... of course there is a sleight. We just don't know what it is. Just like David Copperfield flying.... even though he's not flying.... he still gives the illusion of it. Clearly Madison does something that not many people have seen before.

-Doug

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
but in the clipshift, you have the whole deck where all cards are available to cover the top card and do the change. also, half of the deck is covered, which makes you think that a card might be palmed due to all that coverage(is that a word?) if you watch it you can actually see that it might be possible.

in change, there is absolutely no sign of sleight of hand. no covering whatsoever. its to good to be true. check mate, fascist.

Daniel could've moved the top card into a back palm in a quick manner.

Dec 22, 2007
yes, but lets just think about it. if i made a video of a color change right now, and it was edited, and there were some slight discrepancies, you'd say it was edited.

then, if i said i made it look like it was edited to hide the method, you'd still think it was edited.

but if a famous magician does this, you believe everything he says.

tell me if im wrong.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
yes, but lets just think about it. if i made a video of a color change right now, and it was edited, and there were some slight discrepancies, you'd say it was edited.

then, if i said i made it look like it was edited to hide the method, you'd still think it was edited.

but if a famous magician does this, you believe everything he says.

tell me if im wrong.

exactly thats the point. Daniel Madison is a credible magician and cardist who has history and a career in the art to back up his claims about change and he has said he will release it. You are not, thats not meant to be mean or critical im just saying your not someone known world wide with several products out for purchase and part of a major organization. im just sayingyou wouldn't make a video that you edited and then say your gonna sell it. The point is he IS a professional and as such his word should be all the assurance we need. professional courtesy aside his career rests on his ability to back up what he says or claims

D

Deleted member 2755

exactly thats the point. Daniel Madison is a credible magician and cardist who has history and a career in the art to back up his claims about change and he has said he will release it. You are not, thats not meant to be mean or critical im just saying your not someone known world wide with several products out for purchase and part of a major organization. im just sayingyou wouldn't make a video that you edited and then say your gonna sell it. The point is he IS a professional and as such his word should be all the assurance we need. professional courtesy aside his career rests on his ability to back up what he says or claims

Thank you. :)

If Danny says he is going to release it.... then it is obviously real. He wouldn't say it's real and that hes releasing it if it was fake... Who knows what the method is? It could juts be a double faced card for all we know. It's still a change nonetheless. It might be gimmicked. (It probably is.) So if he says he is going to release it.... then it's clearly real... whatever though, this change is over hyped.:rolleyes: It's pretty cool, but it's so over hyped it's ridiculous.To a spectator, Change and an Erdnase Color Change would have the same effect. The only difference with this is that it would also be a magician fooloer, that's it. In my opinion, the only time you ever need to fool a magician is when applying for a job at The Magic Castle so quite frankly.... I don't care.:eek:

-Doug

D

Deleted member 2755

No it wouldn't.

And he's already said Change is ungimmicked...

I was not aware he said it was ungimmicked. That's awesome. However, he never said it was impromptu (to my knowledge). So we don't know everything yet. Also, done right... yes it would. ;)

-Doug

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
I was not aware he said it was ungimmicked. That's awesome. However, he never said it was impromptu (to my knowledge). So we don't know everything yet. Also, done right... yes it would. ;)

-Doug

well if your interested in knowing more this is the most recent information that i know of that has been released about change

"2. Will "Change" be good for a live audience or will it just be feasible on camera?Hmmmm, this could be a spoiler. Change can be done live and surrounded and with any deck, I proved this a few times at a few different conventions, however, Change won’t make his appearance until next year."

sounds like its gonna be amazing

Sep 1, 2007

-Doug

He said it could be done with a borrowed deck.

I showed Change(on youtube) to my brother just to disprove your theory and he said straight away, 'if that's not video editing he's satan', I showed him a vid of Erdnase Color Change and he was impressed, but not suspicious of video editing, I think this proves that Change would be MUCH stronger if done in real life(providing it looks as good in real life).

D

Deleted member 2755

He said it could be done with a borrowed deck.

I showed Change(on youtube) to my brother just to disprove your theory and he said straight away, 'if that's not video editing he's satan', I showed him a vid of Erdnase Color Change and he was impressed, but not suspicious of video editing, I think this proves that Change would be MUCH stronger if done in real life(providing it looks as good in real life).

I think I'll withdraw my statement about the Erdnase Color Change. That was a dumb comment and you guys are right :) However, about you saying you showed the video to him just to disprove the theory that Change is real.... well I guess that proves it. Your brother said it's fake so it must be! I'll alert everyone on the internet! :D

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
You realize that your giving Danny exactle what he wants in this thread. Speculation. Because of that one youtube video, he's one of the most popular magicians right now. He wouldn't make an edited video and lay his reputation on the line. Imagine if it is editing. Would theory11 sign him and invest money in him if he was a liar? I don't think so.

No matter what the method is, Daniel did his job, he fooled us. Thats all that matters.

Sep 1, 2007
However, about you saying you showed the video to him just to disprove the theory that Change is real.... well I guess that proves it. Your brother said it's fake so it must be! I'll alert everyone on the internet! :D

-Doug

No I showed him it to disprove the Erdnase Color Change, but that doesn't matter now.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
The job of the magician is to fool the audience and that's what DM's done. When I first saw distortion, I suspected editing. Just because we can't explain it, we say it's impossible. Now I know distortion (and use it), the people I do it to say it's impossible. That doesn't make it any less possible. Also, distortion does what I want it to. It gets me talked about. That's what DM is doing.

Personally, I don't think DM would put his rep on the line for a little trick,

the art of magic

What provokes me most with DM is his interview on theory11 Artists page. There he talks about magic as an art form. He talks negatively about magic consumers, people buying DVD:s and tricks. Well if he thinks this ruins the ART why is he working so hard to sell his stuff??
Also if the "Change" really is a bluff then he really should not be talking about the ART of magic. Video trickery would be the cheapest deception a magician can deliver.

I agree that he knows how to flourish, but at the end of the day these spining packets of cards mean nothing to me. Sibyl or 1000 variations of it almost look the same to me. I can feel impressed but not astonished.

not impossible

The job of the magician is to fool the audience and that's what DM's done. When I first saw distortion, I suspected editing. Just because we can't explain it, we say it's impossible. Now I know distortion (and use it), the people I do it to say it's impossible. That doesn't make it any less possible. Also, distortion does what I want it to. It gets me talked about. That's what DM is doing.

Personally, I don't think DM would put his rep on the line for a little trick,

Even though Destortion can feel like a visual FX it still stays in realm of possible to me. It looks workable and you can surely start to create your own soulutions. With Change... not so. I think DM made a stupid misstake with this and I also think he is working HARD on developing what he promissed on that video.

Again, DM would be considered a genious if he proved this was for real. Why does he not? Too humble??

Change will be in a dvd by daniel madison with six different changes. It is completely impromptu and can be used in a live audience. In dangerous he has live performances. That's all that I know. Hope some of your questions have been answered.

By the way I seriously can't wait till he releases change and when he does all you dumasses will start praising him on what a genius he is and all that crap. Not one of you can say you respect him as a magician if he creates something you don't know how to do and you attack him by saying he uses editing.

Have a nice day.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results