A Game of C.A.R.D.S.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I just thought of this, wondering if anyone has tried anything like it before.

Essentially, it's you vs your friends in a game of HORSE (or SKATE, or anything with that sort of game format), but you are doing things with cards. It's a minimum of 2 people (which is normally what the games use), but you can have as many as you want.

For those of you that don't know, these games are pretty popular. Horse is for Basketball, Skate is for Skate boarding, etc. I'll break down the rules here so you guys who haven't played before know what I'm Talking about. This explanation probably makes it sound harder than the game actually is.

1) You play Rock-Paper-Scissors to see who goes first, second. The person who goes first will be on offense, everyone else is on defense.

2) The Person on Offense calls out a trick (in this case, it can be a flourish, or honestly anything you can do with a deck of cards, but preferably not a sleight like the double lift, or a top change, or whatever, because that'll get really boring and controversial. However, you can do things like "a push off double" to set that as the trick). The person on offense must execute that flourish/move and "land it", or at least execute it right.

3) If the person on offense lands it, everyone else must then attempt that trick (going in numerical order of people). If the people on defense land it, they are safe. If they don't, they get a letter (so the first time you mess up you get a C, the second time you get an A, and so on). You only get 1 try each time, except for when you already have C.A.R.D., in which case you get 2 (but if you don't land it on either of them, you get the S).
4) If the Person Offense does NOT land it, the person next in line gets to go on offense, and the process repeats.

5) If someone collects all 5 letters in C.A.R.D.S, they are out. The game keeps going until there's one person left, who is the winner.

6) Other rules:
  • No Repeat Tricks
  • If someone lands a trick but it is super sketchy or controversial people can call a rebate. In this case, they do it again. If they land it, it's good regardless. If they don't, they don't.
  • Be Honest. If they landed it perfectly, don't call a rebate, don't be the guy who switches in a gaff deck to make it easier or whatever, etc.
  • The trick you call out must actually be doable by other people too. Don't be the guy who calls out Isolations to someone who just started cardistry
  • Any trick is allowed, even things outside of the box (for example, it is perfectly legal to call out a "blindfolded deck flip onto an area marked on a table whilst you sit under the table" and then attempt it)
  • The limits and extra rules for a game to the venue should be established before hand. So if you wanted to do a game just with tricks on a specific table, you would say so. And if you wanted to do a game just in the air, you would say so. If nothing is called, you can probably do the whole general area. Just consult with the other players before hand.
If you are still confused, just go on YouTube and watch a couple games of SKATE (Braille Skateboarding have a ton) or HORSE (probably a ton floating around). It's a lot easier than it sounds.

What do you guys think? Would anyone actually try this?

Aug 15, 2017
So I just thought of this, wondering if anyone has tried anything like it before.

Essentially, it's you vs your friends in a game of HORSE (or SKATE, or anything with that sort of game format), but you are doing things with cards. It's a minimum of 2 people (which is normally what the games use), but you can have as many as you want.

For those of you that don't know, these games are pretty popular. Horse is for Basketball, Skate is for Skate boarding, etc. I'll break down the rules here so you guys who haven't played before know what I'm Talking about. This explanation probably makes it sound harder than the game actually is.

1) You play Rock-Paper-Scissors to see who goes first, second. The person who goes first will be on offense, everyone else is on defense.

2) The Person on Offense calls out a trick (in this case, it can be a flourish, or honestly anything you can do with a deck of cards, but preferably not a sleight like the double lift, or a top change, or whatever, because that'll get really boring and controversial. However, you can do things like "a push off double" to set that as the trick). The person on offense must execute that flourish/move and "land it", or at least execute it right.

3) If the person on offense lands it, everyone else must then attempt that trick (going in numerical order of people). If the people on defense land it, they are safe. If they don't, they get a letter (so the first time you mess up you get a C, the second time you get an A, and so on). You only get 1 try each time, except for when you already have C.A.R.D., in which case you get 2 (but if you don't land it on either of them, you get the S).
4) If the Person Offense does NOT land it, the person next in line gets to go on offense, and the process repeats.

5) If someone collects all 5 letters in C.A.R.D.S, they are out. The game keeps going until there's one person left, who is the winner.

6) Other rules:
  • No Repeat Tricks
  • If someone lands a trick but it is super sketchy or controversial people can call a rebate. In this case, they do it again. If they land it, it's good regardless. If they don't, they don't.
  • Be Honest. If they landed it perfectly, don't call a rebate, don't be the guy who switches in a gaff deck to make it easier or whatever, etc.
  • The trick you call out must actually be doable by other people too. Don't be the guy who calls out Isolations to someone who just started cardistry
  • Any trick is allowed, even things outside of the box (for example, it is perfectly legal to call out a "blindfolded deck flip onto an area marked on a table whilst you sit under the table" and then attempt it)
  • The limits and extra rules for a game to the venue should be established before hand. So if you wanted to do a game just with tricks on a specific table, you would say so. And if you wanted to do a game just in the air, you would say so. If nothing is called, you can probably do the whole general area. Just consult with the other players before hand.
If you are still confused, just go on YouTube and watch a couple games of SKATE (Braille Skateboarding have a ton) or HORSE (probably a ton floating around). It's a lot easier than it sounds.

hmmm... Interesting thought there!
I would personally love to do this!
But no gathering of magicians here I kjnow unfortunately...which translates roughly to, no magician friends near where I live

**pines away for a friend and dies choking on bread**

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
hmmm... Interesting thought there!
I would personally love to do this!
But no gathering of magicians here I kjnow unfortunately...which translates roughly to, no magician friends near where I live

**pines away for a friend and dies choking on bread**
Lol, you could probably use Skype or even back and forth videos with someone.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Oh, just as an edit:
No repeat tricks after they have been landed. It's perfectly fine to call out the same thing a few times if you don't land it.

And you are allowed to tweak the rules as much as you want.

Oct 16, 2017

6) Other rules:
  • No Repeat Tricks

Sounds
Oh, just as an edit:
No repeat tricks after they have been landed. It's perfectly fine to call out the same thing a few times if you don't land it.

And you are allowed to tweak the rules as much as you want.
This game sounds like it will be fun, good for the grey matter, and make you think on your feet.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results