A Little Conversation With a Kid Who Reveals Magic on YouTube

May 31, 2008
Ha ha.

So how much better about yourself do you feel after "owning" this kid and how have you made the magic community better?

I never said I felt any better or that I made a difference. I just wanted to offer proof of how thick-skulled these people are.

nayost

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Don't bother, your not going to change their minds, its pointless arguments....

i'll have to agree. you can't change a person.

another issue here is the maturity level in magic. those kids are just not mature enough to realize what they're doing is wrong and harmful to the magic community. unfortunately maturity it is not something that can be given, it's something they will have learn to grow in to. hopefully one day they'll see the light. maybe that's just wishful thinking. they just might be the most immature people in the community for the rest of their lives...

however, it does help by occasionally pointing out their wrong doings. having that burned into the back of their minds, and maybe one day they'll wake up and make sense of it all.

May 31, 2008
i'll have to agree. you can't change a person.

another issue here is the maturity level in magic. those kids are just not mature enough to realize what they're doing is wrong and harmful to the magic community. unfortunately maturity it is not something that can be given, it's something they will have learn to grow in to. hopefully one day they'll see the light. maybe that's just wishful thinking. they just might be the most immature people in the community for the rest of their lives...

however, it does help by occasionally pointing out their wrong doings. having that burned into the back of their minds, and maybe one day they'll wake up and make sense of it all.

Yes, that is the sad truth of the matter.

Sep 1, 2007
The thing is, when magicians "reveal their secret" when people pay money for it, they do so because they know that people who pays for it are mostly people who wants to learn it and use it, not some laymen who merely wants to know the secret. Know what I mean? Laymen would not throw away 20, 30 dollars just to know the secret. (of course this just generally speaking, and does not apply for everyone...there are some rich a$$ kids out there)

So by revealing it for free on youtube, the guy is just giving away the secret to laymen who is only interested in knowing the secret, but does not want to perform it or have no respect for the creator and such.

What hurts me the most is that he thinks he's doing a good and noble thing...

Jul 8, 2008
Yea I'm really against all this magic tutorial and revealing crap on youtube. I completely agree with what has been said here, but I just have a question for you all.

Is it the same as revealing a trick on youtube and to use another performer's direct patter and presentation for a trick? I know it's not "The method isn't being ruined" or anything like that, but isn't it JUST as bad to wreck a performer's patter on youtube?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Pretty much, yes, it's still stealing, you're stealing a magician's work on an effect, which, though it may not carry monetary losses, is nonetheless ethically wrong. Obviously, if you purchase a product wherein the creator freely gives you his or her patter to use, that's another situation - though in the long run it will most likely be more beneficial for you to change it anyway.

Mar 15, 2009
Minnesota
I really hate people like that, they get me really pissed.

Dave, you got him really good. I'm going to go send a few PM's on YouTube.

We have to put an end to this.

Jan 22, 2009
Sweden
Sometimes i wonder about the maturity shown from people (I think in a lot of cases kids) on here. Do you expect to make a difference? Or is this more of the "hey fellow supermagicians on theory11 look how I am so much better than these kids revealing tricks on youtube. Even though everybody is painfully aware of the 'problem' already, it makes me feel better about myself to have perople agree with me on the forums " kind of thread?

But hey, on a positive note, you are really showing that you are better than them. YES. Great job!

Jul 1, 2008
Romania
i talked with him this is what he said:
Me:Why are you revealing tricks???
Him:Because of High demand. And why does it matter.
Me:Dont remember what i wrote XD
Thats not offensive, and what frakin code. Your just mad cause you paid for a trick and now that you see its free, your pissed.
Me:Dont remember XD
CHILL. ITS JUST FREAKIN TRICKS. NO CARES EXCEPT PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT WANNA FEEL COOL CAuSE YOU KNOW SOMETHING NO ONE ELSE KNOWS.

I read a lot of things about this, and to be honest, fighting back is like fighting a losing battle.

I think that those "kids" researched on what to say in case events like this happen, and if people ask why do they reveal, they just copy paste the answers.

it's a good thing, you didn't start some sort of a pm-war.

Jan 13, 2008
It's not that they researched what to say...that just sounds silly. It's just, as much as how you feel they're doing something ethically wrong, they feel they're doing something ethically right (or righting a wrong).

They put up videos on torrent sites (and teach on Youtube) because they feel that the amount you pay isn't equal with the content you get. When you're spending $25 or more per trick, they feel that that is ethically wrong--that we should be paying far less. So, one person gets the video, and either uploads the actual video or makes a Youtube video revealing it; essentially, the person thinks he (or she) is Robin Hood--stealing from the rich, and giving to the poor. He sees what he's doing as noble and the right thing, righting an ethical wrong.

What's my point? Yelling at them or arguing with them, etc, isn't going to work. In the end, your time was wasted, and (despite all the praise here), you end up looking silly for taking such a silly path to try to stop them. If you want to make a difference, you have to change their belief system, and that process does not include arguing with them--in fact, arguing just deepens their current beliefs, so really you're just making matters worse. What's a better solution? I'm not sure. All I know is that by arguing with them, the situation isn't going to change for the better.

Think about it--if he started calling you stupid for paying for magic when you can get it for free, would you change your mind so easily? Probably not, as it seems you're pretty deep seeded in your beliefs. Well, guess what? So are they.

Moral of the story? If you want to make a difference, try focusing on the roots of the problem, not the leaves. :)

Apr 5, 2009
I think it's a losing battle as well...

But, the creators of these effects are the ones ultimately responsible for contacting these kids with perhaps a "cease and desist"... infringement of intellectual property or something to that effect. Probably won't stand up in court, but would perhaps deter some of them from revealing an effect again.

Or they could potentially contact YouTube and ask them to have videos that reveal their effects removed.

/M

Jan 18, 2009
Maryland
I think you handeled it great and I love how you and alot of magicians stand up and take the time to try to get those videos down. I liked how you didnt do what alot of people do and say stuff like "You SUCK EVERY HATES YOU SO TAKE THE VIDS DOWN DU%##@$" I think if your a kind person, they'll think about it first. Thanks again!

Jan 18, 2009
Maryland
the last time a magician went in public trying to stop a magician from revealing his stuff, to my knowledge, was Danile Garcia.

and... well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88UVz1NDOow
watch for yourself

also. from youtube' Terms of use

Terms Of Use:

C. In connection with User Submissions, you further agree that you will not: (i) submit material that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein; (ii) publish falsehoods or misrepresentations that could damage YouTube or any third party.

Hahahahha. I like the way you worded it. "and...well...":D

May 31, 2008
I love how recently I've gotten replies telling me that I am "immature." Unfortunately I don't understand your logic. I did not try to start some sort of pointless PM argument. I just wanted to get an answer from this kid. He was a jerk to me and I did not loose my temper. I don't see why some of you consider this immature.

Let me say this again: I do NOT think that I made a difference. I just wanted to prove how thick-sculled these kids are.

You handled it pretty well, but the kid is an *******, is like talk about philosophy to a banana, he wont get it. (at least not now)
Maybe one day...
He will remember what you told him.
I get pist off with the last mensage to.
You know, even when i was not into magic i found tose guys on youtube idiots...
(Sorry for my crappy inglish im brazilian)

May 31, 2008
Only one person responded, they will remain nameless:

Why would you keep this kid nameless?

Because all of his videos are tutorials, and I don't want anyone going to look at his tutorials instead of buying from the artists. (Though I doubt anyone on here would do that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results