A Magician's Journal - July 24 - "Long Weekend"

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Before Anything:

I love writing this journals...A LOT!! and I have never thought about gaining anything from this except to share my experiences with you...but this time I do want something back from you..

ADD ME IN FACEBOOK!!
AND FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!!

I just opened them and I want many magic friends...it´s great to talk about magic with different people...also I´ll be posting some magic related things (like the first "The Lost Manifesto" copy") and the updates of the journals, since I live in mexico and I have friends here I´ll double post...one in english and one in spanish, so you guys won´t miss anything...so please add me and follow me!!

A quick note: I won´t be elaborating in the Captain George gig...just the other days...

"Long Weekend"
Journal of July 24
By Luis Vega

Friday 23
4:00 pm
"Finally!! I am out of the job!! I have so many things to do I don´t even know where to start, also I have plenty of events this weekend" I think while leaving my job...

having a job in a restaurant is more demanding than everybody thinks, it´s not just showing up from 11 to 1 to perfom magic and then you leave to do anything you want or flirt with girls there, the restaurant gig for me starts around 3 hours before because I get my suit ready, I prepare my repertoire, I go to the gym so I am in my best shape during the gig, also if I have long hair I have to go to the "guy that cuts hair" (don´t actually know the word for that in english, if somebody knows it let me know!) and maybe get a new shirt or get a new deck, it all takes time...

Friday 23
11:00
I get to Capitan George, and I must confess to myself that I get done here, not because I am a bad magician, it´s because the manager is so weird maybe he didn´t liked my performance or something, anyway I feel confident and I proceed to tell the manager I am here...he only say
"Great!! I have a lot of tables waiting to be entertained...so knock yourself out" great!! he smiled at me and I see a piece of stone falling to the floor..

1:25
the night goes great and I get around 100 bucks in tips, so I decided to call it a night and go home...since tomorrow I have to go to work, against my wishes, anyway there a lot to be done because tomorrow is the big gig...

Saturday
9:00 am
I am here at the office working in a 3d perspective..I feel really tired from last night even know I get a solid 6 hour-sleep night, and today is the gig at the Centro Fox and I need to give my best to make a good impression...

"you only have one shoot to make a great first impression" Benji Bruce Mentalist

2:00 pm

I´m out from work and I have a party at my house and I was asked to prepare the Jello, damn! I really don´t have time for this kind of stuff, I have to get ready for the gig at 5:00, anyway a deal is a deal, maybe I can figure out a way to prepare the jello and iron my suit at the same time.
I think is important that thinking what tricks you are going to use..should be your last concern, you should have so rehearsed your act that it should be the last of your worries, since magic is 20% tricks and 80% production and by production I mean your attitude, the way you dress, the way you behave with your character and even the way you smell...
I quickly go home and prepare the Jello, it surprises me that it only took me around 20 minutes, you only use hot water and then you put the mixture and BAM!! in 2 hours is ready...sweet!! I have time to prepare myself and my repertoire!!

4:50 pm
Centro Fox

Ok...I could really use an adress, I had no idea the Centro Fox where so big, I mean the ex-president could have a more modest house and to make things worst there 2 weddings here...mental note "next time ask the client the name of the people who are getting married"
I finally arrive to the place and oh boy!, this wedding is big...and well I first look for the ex-president...I am afraid he is not here, well maybe he´ll arrive later..
I proceed to look for my "boss" and I found her in a table I just tell her that I am here and I will start now to table-hoop...

6:30 pm

This is a great audience, they are responding great, I am getting applauses, some tips, although I am not asking for them I don`t reject them when offered

I must say that I feel confortable with all kinds of audiences, talking about the age...I encounter a table full of kids and I am still able to entertain them by using my usual routine and improvising a cup and ball routine in their table, I just hope I won`t be hired for a kid`s party because I wouldn`t be able to do it!!

I must say that my repertoire is working well, I have a core set and 4 different finales so each table has something diferent to watch and usually I try to detect what kind of trick they would like to see more...

core set:

Sure?
Dissolution
ACR
Crazy Man Handcuffs
Ring Thing
Bill Switch

Finales

Life
Liquid Metal
Pressure
Coin Under Watch

I just alternate finales with each table so even when the core set is the same, they can see a different thing...

since the people is reacting so well I don`t actually feel the time and when I less notice there is only 30 min left and 2 tables left...

7:50

I am done with all the tables and I decided to go with my boss and tell her I have finished attending all the tables and that she would like me to do something else before our time is up...

she say it`s ok, but then he just goes to every single table to ask if I was there, WTF?!! then she finds one table where I didn`t do magic, for the solely reason they were dancing all the time, so she approaches and tells me

"you didn`t go to that table"
I try to explain to her that I was waiting for that table to stop dancing and come sit down but I will be more than glad to attend them as soon as they get back

8:10

they finally are back and proceed to do my routine and finish with Life. My boss pays me and congratulates me, I very politely say it was nice working with them and I expect this to not be the last one (and I really don´t want it to be the last, since the sister of the bride is really beautiful). I leave to my home...it was disapointing not seing Vicente Fox, I was really expecting it...

Sunday 25
11:00 AM

I am having breakfast and thinking about so many things that in the end I don´t think about anything and all remains the same, then my phone rings..

"Hello"
"Luis, hello how are you? it´s me Javier from Parche" Parche!! my clothes sponsor and now I remember he is the owner, this could be nteresting
"oh Javier!! how are you?"
"great!! I´ve been really busy this days and I haven´t had a chance to call you"
"ok so what´s up?"
"today is my girlfriend´s birthday and I was wondering if you could come over and do some magic...you know, as a guest not as a hired magician"
mmm..this could be interesting, I am really tired from the past 2 days and obviously this will not be a paid gig..on the other side he is my sponsor and he supported me when I was starting out also it comes a new season and I could use some new jackets, wristbands, backpacks, shirts, etc

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
"yes,I´ll be there!"
"Ok, so here is the address!! and see you there"

I quickly prepare my repertoire, so glad this will be until 5:00 so I have some time to check other things...then I think, this could be a good time to test my newly found mentalism...

I prepare a sleight of hand show, similiar to my stand-up show and at the end I decide to include "Psycokinetic Touches, Liquid Metal, some basic mind reading and stigmata"

Sunday
Parche Headquarters
5:00

I arrive and I just hang around a little since I am not hired I can have some drinks and some chips before anything, eventually the word is spread about who I am and then I have to perform, I ask everybody to sit down around a I just need a little table and a tall chair..

the set is:

One Coin Routine
Sure?
Dissolution
ACR
Torn And Restored Card
Linking rubberbands
Pressure

then the second part:

Life
Liquid Metal
Coin Under Watch
Stigmata
Psychokinetic Touches

the first part goes great!! but I think is just normal since this set has been tested before, what worries me is the second part, requires massive presentation and some misdirection and it would be the first time I perform Psychokinetic touches and I am afraid to getting caught

after the little break everybody sits down again, and I start explaining mind over matter and how powerfull the human mind is...bla bla bla, without a presentation is difficult these tricks work.

Life hits great, also coin under watch and stigmata needless to say hits harder than the past ones..

then is time for Psychokinetic touches, I modified the trick slightly so some angle issues are solved and I explain how everybody has an aura around and sometimes some people can feel it...

I perform it..everybody just keep quiet when the girl says "yes, I felt 2 touches in my shoulder" and suddenly everybody freaks out...best reaction ever!!

I am in a blaze of glory and I can shake the feeling of amaze in myself, although I pretend this is something I do every day, to keep the ilusion going...and I decide that I will be working more in mentalism this time...after all I have "The Artful Mentalism" now and I am loving every word of it...

I talk with the owner and he is more than glad to sponsor me another year...sweet!

In the end I decided to run the extra mile with this little performance and I get rewarded greatfully!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
LOVE these journals Luis, CONGRATS on getting the sponsor for another year! I'm looking forward to these in the future.

And to help you on the cutting hair person, it's a barber. :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Outstanding job and story Luis. I always love waiting to hear about your next gig.
I actually got hired today to do 2 hrs. strolling at an outdoor festival where some big sponsors are going to be for my area so there could be some potential high paying gigs coming if i "play my cards right" as they say. It is in 3 weeks so I have plenty of time to polish any of my strolling material. Might go get a new vest for the ordeal as well.

And you are exactly correct about the wedding reception, it is hard to make sure every table or person has seen magic because they might have been out on the dance floor while you hit up their table or they were up at the bar or outside smoking.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Fantastic journal. Sounds like you're doing well, and your audiences seem to be responding extremely well.

I added you on facebook, I don't get on too much, but I'm always ready to talk magic.

Hope everything stays good for you.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Great Journal Luis! I love to read each one of them....luis have you ever thought to perform center tear before? Its my opinion but I think it will be a great add to your routine. It plays really strong and well get many reactions.....just a thought cause looks like your adding some mentalism onto your routine.

By the was I add you on my facebook. Basically if I'm on t11 then I'm on facebook.

Jul 13, 2010
Malaysia
Luis.. once again.. your journal rocks!
internet applause!!
love to read your every journal..
it is like a bed time story now..
lol

great job..

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Thanks everybody!! I am glad you are enjoying this!!

I want an opinion about this...I have managed to update this journal on a weekly basis...now I think sometimes I won`t have a gig or I just stay home resting...so I wanted to write a series of prequels...that`s right...how I started magic, my first performances, my first trick, my first heckler, my first mistakes (some big ones!!),my first creation and stuff like that..

what do you guys think?

btw a photo of the wedding...

Attachments

• IMG0107B.jpg
    IMG0107B.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 45
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results