Accomplish and Grow with theory11.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
This month will mark 3 years that I have been a member of Theory11. I have been exposed to a lot of card magic in that time. And I recently found out that if you type in Theory11 on Google you will find my Jack of Clubs painting if you scroll down a little ways.(This is probably my biggest accomplishment to date.) Well how about it, what is your biggest accomplishment and how has Theory11 helped you grow as a magician??

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I felt that one of my biggest accomplishments was winning the SNC a couple of weeks back. It felt good that all this practice had been paying off, and that I was being recognized for my talents by a community that I have come to respect greatly (I seriously consider the people I interact with on this site a part of me now).

In the few years that I've been doing magic I go through phases of feeling proud with what I have accomplished up to that point , and then soon feeling that what I'm doing is not good enough, or could be better in some way. And that is not a bad thing at all. It makes me think critically at the magic that I do, and really scrutinize the moves and the motivation for those moves. Therefore, I am constantly practising the same slights day in and day out, and finding ways of refining the moves so that they don't look like moves at all. The quote that I keep as my signature, from Leonardo da Vinci, is a constant reminder of this. Details of a move should not look like anything at all; because perfection is not a detail. I still don't think that I have accomplished this idea (even in my video from a couple weeks back), I still strive to perfect my sleights one day. I guess my point is that whenever I feel that I accomplished something great, I soon come back down to earth and look at what I have done and realized that it is not good enough yet. I then take it, go back to basics, and relearn it from the ground up and try to make it better, and better and better.

So I consider many things my biggest accomplishment.
-Hitting that move perfectly the first time, and understanding what it is that makes it perfect.
-Performing a polished routine that leaves people in awe. Every time that happens; that is an accomplishment.
-Winning the SNC - Being acknowledged for my craft, and creating a story with an ordinary object.
-Overcoming anxiety, and pushing myself to be more outgoing. Magic has the affect on many people, and I am certainly no exception.

Theory 11 has helped me grow through sheer interaction with the magic community. I have no one to talk to in person about magic (besides my girlfriend, who is a layperson). So through this site I have been able to interact with magicians, have jam sessions, discuss theories and motivation, and learn new approaches to magic.

This is such a great topic.

The accomplishment I have been most proud of was having my first creation ever, Doubting Thomas, get published on penguinmagic.com and the feedback that came with it. Everyone that bought the effect has told me that they like it and want to practice it more so they can use it. I plan on putting out an update of the effect soon of some new ideas that I came up with the gimmick and a 100% clean coin through the hand effect. Being published has earned me a lot of credentials with the magic club I'm a part of at my university as well as regular laymen.

Theory11 has helped me grow so much in the forums. I have to give a special shout out to Brett Hurley. That guy has helped motivate me and encourage me like no one else. I always look forward to coming to the forums and seeing his positivity just light up the place. He's definitely someone I respect and look forward to getting feedback from him.

I also have a lot of respect for RealityOne. He will analyze my scripts that I post on here with a keen eye for detail and has offered to help me in anyway he can to help improve my scripts. He also has quite the extensive knowledge when it comes to magic, in particularly the literature that is associated with magic. He's the guy you want to go to if you need book recommendations.

Josh Burch was another big help to me. He has such a vast and extensive knowledge of magic and its history that he is really good to turn to if you need advice. He's also very approachable in the forums which is really convenient for a positive community atmosphere.

I haven't known him for very long but DominusDolorum is someone that I'm always interested in reading what he has to post. I can tell he and I have sort of the same philosophy when it comes to a lot of things involved magic so I'm always curious as to what he's been up to and working on. He also has some pretty solid advice if you ever need any.

Since posting on the Theory11 forum boards, I have grown a lot more confident in my magic performances. My next gig is performing magic for kids at a summer camp that have physical disabilities. What I like to do with that performance is make it seem as if they are doing the magic and have the audience applaud them. It's really cool to see their faces light up when they believe I have given them a power to do something really cool. After that it's my biggest stage gig to date which I'm both nervous and excited for so hopefully that will go good. I look forward to growing more as I continue to post on here.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I remember getting into magic when I was a 13 year old kid in middle school. My brother had shown me the "21" card trick and I was immediately hooked. I needed to know how it was done. I typed "how to do magic tricks" into the search engine and low and behold one of the websites that popped up was theory11. This was way back in 2008, and I remember vividly that old-school underground grunge look to the website. Just thinking about it brings back so many good memories of just getting into magic and not knowing what the heck I was doing. Those were the days!

I signed up for the forums, bought a few tricks, and started learning. At a time where I didn't really fit in much at my school, I found a community in theory11. I remember logging on every day, anxious to see what topics others have started, and I even started a few of my own. I started building friendships, and most importantly, I started getting better because of all of the advice and feedback I had received. Once I noticed how much better I had gotten, it gave me a drive to keep pushing, to become better, and return the favor to others who were just picking up magic for the first time. Nothing made me feel better than to share some advice and see their improvement as a result. As a young teenager I wanted to stand out from the rest and be as kind, polite, and as professional as possible, as I took this very seriously (Unless someone had asked about The Wire, in which case everybody had a field day giving the poster crap for asking the question for the thousandth time :p).

One of the things I loved the most about the forums was the SNCs. I remember winning a fair share of SNCs back in the day, and those were some of the most fun, challenging, and rewarding experiences I had while developing my skills. Stepping outside of a comfort zone and getting creative experience boosted my learning ability and I was trying new things, and seeing things from a different perspective. It's always important to test everything you have learned so far and give yourself a challenge. If you are not challenging yourself, how will you get better? I think SNCs are a perfect way to give you that kickstart, as it did for me. Even if I wasn't the prize winner, I walked away with a new thought, idea, or perspective. It was a great learning tool for me, like I know it is for a lot of you.

Once I had been a member for quite a while, I was asked to be an official moderator of the forums. This was huge. I knew that being professional in my dialogue with other members was going to pay off. Like Dominus said above in his response, it felt good to be acknowledged and to acquire that status of being a moderator. This was a community that I found home in, and I couldn't have been happier to be a closer part of it.

Fast forward to the summer of 2010. theory11 was hyping up a big site relaunch on their birthday (August 31st). They were planning a huge release event, and with all of the teasers, they did a huge scavenger hunt. This scavenger hunt was unlike anything I had been involved in before. I remember logging on my computer every Friday at 11pm EST for the newest riddle to solve, and each time a riddle was solved, I would wait until next week for the newest one. For each riddle you solved, you got closer to winning the contest. On another Friday night at 11pm, a new riddle was posted. This one was tricky, but I eventually solved it and it brought me to a page that said something along the lines of this: "There is a special email address located on one of the photos on our website. Once you find it, send your mailing address to that email."

I remember going through almost every page on the website and not finding a single thing. I was getting incredibly frustrated, as I thought someone else had found it already and I had no chance. I got up from my computer chair to get something to drink, and as I looked down at an angle, I saw an email address pop up on the page. I started freaking out, and was able to make out the address. I emailed them my mailing address and then waited. On another night later in the week, they had posted that one member's doorbell will ring on Friday at 11pm EST. Fast forward to that Friday night, I was on a Skype call with Zach Mueller. We were chatting, talking about the scavenger hunt contest, and I remember telling him there was no chance in hell that I won it. He kept his composure and was talking to me like normal (he knew about me winning but did a great job at hiding it).

At 11pm I heard my doorbell ring, and Zach looked at me and said "Answer it" and hung up. I was like, "what the hell?!" I jumped up and ran to my door as fast as possible. I opened the door and found a package sitting on my doorstep. No one else was around, not a soul. Just a package sitting there with no delivery guy. I picked it up and opened it, and found a book. Inside the book was a letter from JB detailing what was inside the book. It was a hollowed out book with the first ever deck of Sentinels ever made. I was the only one outside of the team to see this deck and use it for the first time. I was blown away. This was when theory11 had just started using the embossing and metallic inks/foils on their boxes, and boy was it breathtaking for its time. I was in pure disbelief and shock, but also in amazement and awe. This was an experience I will never forget. I won't divulge who it was that left the package on my doorstep, though. That part, for you, will remain a mystery.

Fast forward to November of 2010, and I was invited to officially join the theory11 team. As a 15 year old at the time, it was something I only dreamed of doing, especially at that young of an age. These were people I had looked up to ever since I started my magic journey, and being invited by them to be an official staff member is a dream come true. When I started out I fully expected magic to only be a hobby and not something I would do for a living, because those chances were so small. I planned on going to college immediately after high school because I didn't think I would be doing something that I love as a profession. All of that had immediately changed, and I couldn't have been happier.

theory11 is the world to me. It's without a doubt a part of me. To think, if my brother never showed me that card trick, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be living out a dream. I wouldn't be doing something that I love as a profession. I honestly believe that my life would have been much worse if I didn't have the theory11 community to go to when I needed to fit in. I went through a series of painful chronic migraines and other medical issues that caused major problems with my school, and I started to feel like I was trapped and there was no way out. Fortunately, I had this community and a job that I love to get me through it, and to give me a sense of purpose and direction.

While we continue to grow and accomplish great things, there will never be a time that we stop learning. I fully believe, through my own experience, that theory11 has been and continues to be a place to learn and grow in the art of magic (and cardistry). theory11 has changed my life completely for the better, and I cannot envision my life without it. It certainly would not be as magical.

-C

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I have been into magic since a very young age I think I saw my first magician at around age four and learned my first trick soon after. At age 7 or 8 I got more involved and scoured the library. By high school this scouring became a full habit and I would always look for magic books at the library. It was about this time that I realized that some of my favorite performing magicians didn't create their own magic. They had other magicians who would create magic for them.

I began to research the guys who created magic for David Copperfield and David Blaine. The names that came up were Jim Steinmeyer, Andre Cole, Homer Liwag and Chris Kenner. Of course in the case of Chris Kenner and Homer Liwag the best way to access their magic is through Theory11.

This idea of creating and creators circulate in my mind for some time. I began creating magic in my own time and then Theory11 released the WIRE, now called the Marketplace. It felt like my time had come to show the magic community what I had. During its infancy I published my first effect on the WIRE. In the coming months I learned a ton about the magic market in the world and some of the ins and outs.

After showing some of my original magic to some guys at a magic convention they set me up to get together with Penguin magic and Penguin decided to produce and publish m first magic DVD, Electro.

Now I get to talk about magic and help other artists out as we all continue to improve our art and understanding of the craft.

Apr 7, 2016
Kentucky
I have been performing and creating magic for 7 years. I however am new to Theory 11 and wish to start some of my own stuff here. My greatest accomplishment is winning my schools talent show with a card trick. It was a 7 card prediction that led to revealing the principles phone number. It was my first award for my magic and I will never forget it.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
All right. I joined the site about 3 months after I started magic in 2014--a measly 1 1/2 years. I wasn't inspired by the greats, like many are. My kids got me into magic. Ha!
Upon getting there, I only had two goals in mind:

- teach my kids magic (because they were, and still are, very much into it)
- perform magic to those who need magic in their lives.

At the time, I didn't see a way to acquire ANY sort of experience other than just read EVERYTHING I could between 4 different forums (and the relentless questions I kept pestering @RealityOne with since the very beginning of my journey...and still do to this day.) That man is amazing, has a SCARY amount of magic knowledge and expertise. He's somehow found a way to do what he does 28 hours a day. The mans good!

Then I found the Saturday Night Contests. Oh boy. At the time, I didn't think much of them. Especially since the first contest I entered was a 'post your deck collection on Instagram' contest. All I had was ONE deck of bikes--that I lodged in a baby wipe container and entered it as my 'deck collection'. You do the math on how that went.

But seeing how prizes were up for grabs--for free, I figured, 'yeah, lets see what NEXT Saturday has!'
Having a competitive, yet trollish, streak; I just kept entering--even though I wasn't good at...well...anything the contests asked for.

Then cardistry contests came along, so I busted my tail off just to try and get a good skillset going for that as well--even though I allign myself more with the magic community. Not to brag, but I consider myself the most OKAYEST cardist on the forums.

Anyway, I realized that the more I entered, the more I was slowly acquiring SOME shred of confidence, a bit of experience, and a way to think out of the box--plus something to do on a Saturday night. I've got enough anxiety for it to be considered an alternative fuel source, so for me to put ANY video out there was big. And I didn't start to come into my own until the fake reveal contest for 'Counterfeit'.
The prizes are a way of getting everyone to try as hard as they can. And I saw that. And every week, I try to dig deep and try what I can--even if I know I'm going to get beat dead to rights. You don't try, you have a 100% chance of losing. I only missed 8 contests last year, and only 1 this year (so far...I can't make ANY magic tricks because I'm the world worst engineer of magic).

But because of the diversity of what the contests ask for, I have a bit more experience on: magic presentation in front of a camera, flourish construction and presentation, filming from a phone in general, conveying humor on video, Windows Live Movie Maker, improvising with odd household materials, and COMPETITIVE GUESSING.

I'm thankful that the community here is a bit of a tightly knit group. Makes the boards a LOT more interesting seeing that we have quite a bit more 'regulars' now. We all help and encourage each other--with the occasional ribbing. Progressively, we all start learning more about each other than just our forum handles and that's neat!
If it wasn't for the help of the magic community here, I probably wouldn't have had the stones to perform for Anna and Elsa at Disneyland (still not sure if it went good or poorly...ANYWAY!). Regardless, it's a step toward a bigger goal of mine: performing at a children's hospital...consistently.

I'm almost at my goal to the children's hospital show, and it's thanks to the people and encouragement here that helps me keep going all this time. Good and bad days alike.

Thanks Theory11! And thanks for all the fish!

Nov 10, 2014
Well, I actually got into the realm of cardistry first. I saw Andrei Jihk perform a card spring on the show Brain Games about... A year and half ago I want to, that could be wrong, anyways. I was dead set on learning how to do that. So I found out his name, and ordered Genesis. The first move I learned was the card spring, my progression was very strange. I learned that then I started learning the other things on the dvd (still can't do that danged Thumb Cut...).

After I started getting into cardistry I started wanting to expand into magic, my brother has a bit of history with magic, he can do around 3 pretty simple tricks but he is a really good performer and he does those few tricks very well. So I did what any teenager in this age would do. I went on YouTube. Which a lot of people here will say was a terrible decision and I never should have done. I will agree that it isn't the best way to learn, however I wouldn't change it if I had a chance, it wasn't the best way to learn but if I didn't do it I would've never gotten into magic and gotten real books on it.

A while later after spending a decent amount of time watching YT I discovered T11, started reading the forums then I joined, here is where I discovered that there was in fact a better way to learn magic (books in case you haven't been paying attention the the theme of the entire forum). So I had just gotten paid for doing a small job for some neighbors and I ordered a bunch of books. Royal Road, Encyclopedia Of Card Tricks, Expert Card Technique, Buckley's Card Control, and the first volume of The Collected Works of Elmsley. Since then I have moved to a new state, met a local professional magic, had him give me a giant boost to my confidence (specifically he said he wasn't going to hold back with criticisms). Recently I got Bobo's Coin Magic and have been learning a couple tricks from that.

So in short everything with magic started because of my interest with the human brain, my obsession with learning an absurdly difficult move (for a beginner), and YouTube.

Shoutouts for amazing people on the forums here. Brett, Justin Morris, Gabriel Z, Josh Bursch, RealityOne. All of these people have influenced my development in some way or another. And a personal shoutout to Obtuse The Mage who is not on this forum, but gave me a giant personal confidence boost.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Shoutouts for amazing people on the forums here. Brett, Justin Morris, Gabriel Z, Josh Bursch, RealityOne. All of these people have influenced my development in some way or another. And a personal shoutout to Obtuse The Mage who is not on this forum, but gave me a giant personal confidence boost.

Thanks for the shoutout Mclintock. I didn't think I was good enough to be sandwiched between Josh Bursch and Justin Morris or even RealityOne and Brett(The funny man). But hey I'll take the compliment. I will have you know that you have also inspired me to continue on with my card magic. It's little people like us that make it happen. ;)

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
Some say Brett is the world champion Competitive Guesser...(I think it should be an official title) :p

Theory11 has played a major role in my development as a magician. I have gotten feedback and advice, picked up various tips and tricks and overall enjoyed connecting with a supportive community from all over the world. About a year ago I actually started a skype group for magicians around my age because of a thread posted on Theory11. We got together on skype to share ideas and further connect which really helped build that sense of community for me that I think magic is all about. The group ended up not lasting as we all got busy with school and different things but I think my biggest accomplishment has to be winning my first SNC this year.

This was actually the first contest of 2016 and the contest was shorter which meant fewer entries which is obviously a major benefit but I still wasn't expecting to win. I remember going on to check the results and being so amazed that I refreshed the page a few times just to be sure. I won 6 decks of unions and a deck of Gold Monarchs! The crazy part was that the 1000 elite points I got for winning was enough to make me an elite member. So I ended up getting my T11 member card and another deck of gold monarchs! It was absolutely the coolest way to start off the new year. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results