Advertising theory11 - Poster

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Is it really a good idea. Sure u will get some people who will be interested but don't you think 3/4 of those people who will join are just curious on how some of the effect works. Maybe they think being a magician is cool, they buy a few cool effects to impress their friends, get disappointed by the deceptive method,don't take the time to practice it well, give a crappy performance for some people and then decide that magic is not their thing ...

Its just my opinion ...

I agree with Slicke. There is a controversey in magic about the definition of "underground", but I think it means simply not mainstream. T11 is underground in that aspect, it doesn't really have or need advertising except to those that are a part of it. I think inviting many people here will sort of encourage exposure and such to some degree. If you have friends that are into magic, by all means, but for other people we shoul keep it sort of an enigma. The right people will always end up finding it.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I guess I was wondering the same thing.
If he has friends that he would like to check out Theory11...then why wouldn't he just simply give the site address?

DanielH

Elite Member
Apr 21, 2010
Is it really a good idea. Sure u will get some people who will be interested but don't you think 3/4 of those people who will join are just curious on how some of the effect works. Maybe they think being a magician is cool, they buy a few cool effects to impress their friends, get disappointed by the deceptive method,don't take the time to practice it well, give a crappy performance for some people and then decide that magic is not their thing ...

Its just my opinion ...

so what if 3/4 of the people are crappy and decide its not there thing? its the 1/4 that counts you never know, the next David blaine could come from this site and i think its a great effort

Wait.. what is this for and why are you doing this? No offense but it's not like your getting paid or a cut of something for your time. Also that image your using isn't branded by them. You could actually get them into trouble with confusing people. You also shouldn't use their trademarked name and images without their permission either.

I don't know man, this just sounds to me like a foolish idea. A very nice, kind hearted, and giving one, but foolish.

I'm not trying to cut you down, I'm just being realistic.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Bad Idea man, Im with someof the other guys on this one, it may get some people interested, but most people that will show up, will most likely just be here to sniff out some secrets, and in my opinion if you were to perform for a lay person that knows websites like t11 exist it makes your magic so much less magical. If you should not give out a secret, why give out the source where you recieve your secrets.

May 9, 2010
Oh! This is just a draft by me. The artists will do a much better job.

Very true, you dont have the proper rights to do something like this plus no offense it looks ****. Props for trying tho.

J.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladys and Gentlemen! The one! The only! DarkWitness!

Jul 13, 2009
More does not always equal better.

I think a lot of people are concerned this will just attract people to the site, not neccesarily magicians, let alone magicians with skills and experiences who can contribute to the site.

My thoughts exactly, you really can read minds. Get out of mine! :p

Plus I think more attention to the site will cause more spammers. However I have not seen many of those Ipod posts as of late and completely enjoy them not being here.

May 9, 2010
My thoughts exactly, you really can read minds. Get out of mine! :p

Plus I think more attention to the site will cause more spammers. However I have not seen many of those Ipod posts as of late and completely enjoy them not being here.

But we do have more of a chance of getting good magicians.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2007
But we do have more of a chance of getting good magicians.

What makes you think that true?

1) Magic clubs have had membership drives for years. They almost never result in long term membership increases and seldom if ever attract skilled performers. Instead they get laymen who have had a passing interest in magic?

2) How are you planning on identifying 'good magicians' and reaching out to them? Most of the great magicians I know avoid internet forums on priciple. (Not sure what this says about 'me"!?!).

3) What would a good or great magician stand to gain from participation in this site? Will these benefits superceed those they already experience among interactions with their peer group?

4) How will angelblaine2004 feel when the guys in his homeroom class find out about this site and start messing up flow and crush and exile in from of his friends?

May 9, 2010
What makes you think that true?

1) Magic clubs have had membership drives for years. They almost never result in long term membership increases and seldom if ever attract skilled performers. Instead they get laymen who have had a passing interest in magic?

2) How are you planning on identifying 'good magicians' and reaching out to them? Most of the great magicians I know avoid internet forums on priciple. (Not sure what this says about 'me"!?!).

3) What would a good or great magician stand to gain from participation in this site? Will these benefits superceed those they already experience among interactions with their peer group?

4) How will angelblaine2004 feel when the guys in his homeroom class find out about this site and start messing up flow and crush and exile in from of his friends?

1: We might get the next David Blaine or Daniel Madison. You never know.

2: I'm not saying all will be good we could get good magicians.

3: They will have a chance to talk to other magicians and discuss magic.

4: If they do that to him he could do it to them.

Dec 14, 2007
1: We might get the next David Blaine or Daniel Madison. You never know.

2: I'm not saying all will be good we could get good magicians.

3: They will have a chance to talk to other magicians and discuss magic.

4: If they do that to him he could do it to them.

1) I'm not sure how either of those would be good things.

2) At the risk of bringing in how many people for whom this site (and magic) will be nothing more than a pleasant diversion. Something that allows them to say, next time YOU are doing a show, "Yeah, I used to do some magic. Here, let me show you this site where you can buy all the tricks he just did."

3) Most of the people I consider "good magicians" already have plenty of opportunity to talk to other (good) magicians and discuss magic any time they want. Why would someone who is making their living performing magic want to come HERE?

4) Please read any of the dozens of threads where people are freaking out because one of their classmates stumbled upon this site OR, thinking they might be interested, intentionally came to this site. Why do you want to make what you do less special? That seems decidedly "unmagical" to me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results