Advice for School Magic

Performing magic at school is a very popular thing to do with younger magicians. I mean, I would know! Haha. I am a young one... And I know that the main thing I look forward to in the day, is finding someone in the halls during lunch and asking them if they want to watch a signed card jump to the top, to my pocket and to my mouth... But there is a lot of disadvantages to going to school. When your friends or people who you have classes with find out you do magic, then they'll never leave you alone. One of the things I think can really kill you, is the one hit wonder magic. You don't show up the second day everyone knows your a magician and do a Svengali Deck Routine, unless you have multiple different ones. You have to realize, starting with your biggest hits in school is not always a good idea. You know that everyone is going to ask you to do it again, and lots of those big tricks can't be performed more than once. So the biggest advice I can give, is let things build. Do a couple small impromptu tricks that still hit hard and let things build themselves up. Your name will get around. I don't know if this will help, but its something to think about. I saw my friend kill himself over a gaff card trick involving a 3 and a half of clubs and a 3 and a half of clubs... It was sad to watch everyone to ask him to do it again... And him being the brain surgeon he is, did it again... I'm just saying! Start impromptu, give them the impression everything you doing is strong and powerful and start impromptu. That way everything is examinable and you can gain trust early on. Once people stop asking to inspect as much, it could help your gimmicked tricks later on. And remember! Simple is better!

Aug 31, 2007
California
i agree 100% . lately i've just been doing daniel garcia's impromptu static routine from loops with my friend's ids. they freak out! they're such great reactions and such a simple trick :]

Performing magic at school is a very popular thing to do with younger magicians. I mean, I would know! Haha. I am a young one... And I know that the main thing I look forward to in the day, is finding someone in the halls during lunch and asking them if they want to watch a signed card jump to the top, to my pocket and to my mouth... But there is a lot of disadvantages to going to school. When your friends or people who you have classes with find out you do magic, then they'll never leave you alone. One of the things I think can really kill you, is the one hit wonder magic. You don't show up the second day everyone knows your a magician and do a Svengali Deck Routine, unless you have multiple different ones. You have to realize, starting with your biggest hits in school is not always a good idea. You know that everyone is going to ask you to do it again, and lots of those big tricks can't be performed more than once. So the biggest advice I can give, is let things build. Do a couple small impromptu tricks that still hit hard and let things build themselves up. Your name will get around. I don't know if this will help, but its something to think about. I saw my friend kill himself over a gaff card trick involving a 3 and a half of clubs and a 3 and a half of clubs... It was sad to watch everyone to ask him to do it again... And him being the brain surgeon he is, did it again... I'm just saying! Start impromptu, give them the impression everything you doing is strong and powerful and start impromptu. That way everything is examinable and you can gain trust early on. Once people stop asking to inspect as much, it could help your gimmicked tricks later on. And remember! Simple is better!
this is what i do...

study a lot of magic and learn to perform them all.....at least like 5 or 6...i perform those in different methods....i do not perform until i learn......

i be truthful with my audience......i tell them that i'm working on some new material.....and tell them on what dates i'll next be performing...since i walk around and do magic......i also travel the streets and cities....

wha tyou can do is be truthful and let them know you'll show them something new when you learn.....

what i truly think you did was showed someone a effect of two and didn't have nothing else new....

learn a lot of tricks...not 5 or 6....learn 20......perform......you will not even use 20...but learn 20......

that will have you to perform for possibly a couple of days consecutive.....even a full week with new material.....

take time off and tell them you are working on stuff...never learn just one effect and do one...learn a lot....and perform for days.....

even blaine i know takes time off and lay low.....until new material is perfected thats what makes you better...also the suspense of what you will do next is fabulous.....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results