Advice on Project

I am currently writing a book for the beginner magician. I know there are books out already on beginner effects but my book is more about where to start in magic.

Imagine all the knowledge you have gained from your years of magic and you looked back at yourself and see all the careless mistakes you made. In my book I go over all the basic I can think of and elaborate on many things that are said but never explained.

Many people know of the magicians code to not expose the effect, don't do the same trick twice, etc. I go into detail on why this is, many books or guides don't really delve into the subjects very much and leaves some starters without any reasoning.

So I am here asking for any advice on some topics that you would include and would like to elaborate on. So far my subjects I will be covering are: The Code of magicians, starting off in a specific field, practicing techniques, presentation, performance overall, cards, coins, mentalism, hecklers, character, gimmicks, piracy, working magic, and everyday objects not necessarily in this order. I know there is more to go on about but I would like some others help.

To elaborate a bit on the current subjects, mentalism will be a small piece about being more advanced to really carry on a strong presentation and how it should only really be attempted seriously later on down the road.

I am not including any effects into this piece, however I will be recommending other material for that specific subject.

So to sum it all up, any help is wanted and needed. Some material you may recommend for a certain types of magic like cards, coins, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Imagine all the knowledge you have gained from your years of magic and you looked back at yourself and see all the careless mistakes you made. In my book I go over all the basic I can think of and elaborate on many things that are said but never explained.

That should be the first sentence of your book.

May 31, 2008
starting off in a specific field

Everything else sounds great, and I would like to wish you luck in writing the book. I've always been strongly against magicians picking only one type of magic and sticking with it. No spectators want to see all coins, all cards, or all of anything.

In my opinion the only genre of magic you can stick to and only do, is mentalism. There's something about mentalism that makes it different from other fields of magic, I cant really explain it ( :( )

That's just my opinion, good luck!

I am currently writing a book for the beginner magician. I know there are books out already on beginner effects but my book is more about where to start in magic.

Many people know of the magicians code to not expose the effect, don't do the same trick twice, etc. I go into detail on why this is, many books or guides don't really delve into the subjects very much and leaves some starters without any reasoning.

So I am here asking for any advice on some topics that you would include and would like to elaborate on. So far my subjects I will be covering are: The Code of magicians, starting off in a specific field, practicing techniques, presentation, performance overall, cards, coins, mentalism, hecklers, character, gimmicks, piracy, working magic, and everyday objects not necessarily in this order. I know there is more to go on about but I would like some others help.

To elaborate a bit on the current subjects, mentalism will be a small piece about being more advanced to really carry on a strong presentation and how it should only really be attempted seriously later on down the road.

I am not including any effects into this piece, however I will be recommending other material for that specific subject.

So to sum it all up, any help is wanted and needed. Some material you may recommend for a certain types of magic like cards, coins, etc.

Thanks in advance.
For the beginner, if i was you, i would make a BIG emphasis on originality and style....every new magician wants to criss angel, every new magician wants to be david blaine...

give a little history about the art of magic and the pioneers "only"...

intentionally leave out gaff cards, why??? some magicians rely on gimmicks to do magic, if thats what new magicians will do, they have been obviously been misinformed....

tell about all more foreign magic......

do not tell about any magicians that are currently active at this time, let them come into their own, todays modern magicians are so far ahead of the curve, new magicians will always try and execute the newer stuff(and will fail) but most importantly will not focus on the basic magic effects....We all know that in order to create, you must know the basics, its kinda like learning how to write before reading.....a recipe for disaster....

also my friend, keep these modern websites out of it, do not use these as resources....

refer them to books only, why??? this my friend will cut down at least 75 percent of the "people who want to learn magic for the wrong reasons" (ex. exposure, just to know the secrets, etc.)

do give some effects and secrets in your book, make sure they are basic, you must give them some type of foundation, thats a must, we want to create artists, not just magicians.....we want to feed their passion.....

i hope this helps....

May 31, 2008
intentionally leave out gaff cards, why??? some magicians rely on gimmicks to do magic, if thats what new magicians will do, they have been obviously been misinformed....

Although I do agree that learning how to properly present magic is far more important than using gaff cards, I don't think relying on gimmicks is necessarily a bad thing. If you like using gimmicks, use them. If you don't don't. I doubt any spectator will say, "Hey you rely on gimmicks to do your magic instead of the standard sleight-of-hand!"

Although I do agree that learning how to properly present magic is far more important than using gaff cards, I don't think relying on gimmicks is necessarily a bad thing. If you like using gimmicks, use them. If you don't don't. I doubt any spectator will say, "Hey you rely on gimmicks to do your magic instead of the standard sleight-of-hand!"
totally agree with you....its not a bad thing, i'm not speaking down on gaffs or gimmicks... i just think this would make his book different from the rest.....

Appreciate the advice, however I will be leaving gaff cards in.

I go into all the types of things you will see in cards, coins, etc. and since gaff cards are included I will be writing about them.

However I want to emphasize that everything I write about is about starting in the right direction. Everything that a beginner needs to know about to advance and this includes others material then I will write about them. I go into ethics of piracy, talk about several products that are a necessity for beginners, and the pros and cons of all types of magic.

I also go into the genres like close up, stage, and so forth to really find what they are looking for. Believe me I am going into quite a bit about everything a beginner needs to know about and more.

I do like your idea Cedric about originality and plan on including this into my presentation and performance chapters. However you can easily find ebooks of popular books in torrents and such, I found 100's of books in a single download that have some amazing material from many famous mentalists and magicians. It probably rounded up close to 6 grand of material, but I go into developing morals for creators and why it's best to stick to buying from respectable and trusted websites.

Lastly about gimmicks, I go into them extensively about why it's best to stay away from them at first. It becomes a reliance and you become lazy when you just start off with them, but I do go into how many of these gimmicks accomplish amazing effects that couldn't be done with just sleight of hand.

I have no idea as to when this will be released, I am really going to put a lot of time into this and will be getting some criticism from some close friends and high up respected magicians.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.

Appreciate the advice, however I will be leaving gaff cards in.

I go into all the types of things you will see in cards, coins, etc. and since gaff cards are included I will be writing about them.

However I want to emphasize that everything I write about is about starting in the right direction. Everything that a beginner needs to know about to advance and this includes others material then I will write about them. I go into ethics of piracy, talk about several products that are a necessity for beginners, and the pros and cons of all types of magic.

I also go into the genres like close up, stage, and so forth to really find what they are looking for. Believe me I am going into quite a bit about everything a beginner needs to know about and more.

I do like your idea Cedric about originality and plan on including this into my presentation and performance chapters. However you can easily find ebooks of popular books in torrents and such, I found 100's of books in a single download that have some amazing material from many famous mentalists and magicians. It probably rounded up close to 6 grand of material, but I go into developing morals for creators and why it's best to stick to buying from respectable and trusted websites.

Lastly about gimmicks, I go into them extensively about why it's best to stay away from them at first. It becomes a reliance and you become lazy when you just start off with them, but I do go into how many of these gimmicks accomplish amazing effects that couldn't be done with just sleight of hand.

I have no idea as to when this will be released, I am really going to put a lot of time into this and will be getting some criticism from some close friends and high up respected magicians.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.
good luck buddy.....much success and blessings...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results