America's Got Talent suggestions

Jun 14, 2013
Hi everyone!
I am attending America's got talent this season but still cannot decide what to do for that huge stage.
I want something that will blow people's mind in 90 second and big enough for people to see.

I was thinking about
Rubik's nightmare
Ring in walnut
Cardiographic
52 shades of red

Can anyone help me amd give me some suggestions?
Thanks
Johnny

Feb 10, 2013
I would think that 52 Shades of Red is not the best because the judges wont be able to see what you are doing. If I had to pick one of those, I would go with Ring in Walnut because you can add a lot of humor to it, especially with those judges. You must first think of the route you want to go if you were to go through, though. I know that small stuff like that is not enough to go far. The judges always prefer large stage illusions it seems. Just my two cents.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
First off all, what junkbox said is wrong. You can definitely perform a close up trick on that show because they will have a projector. If you saw Collins Key's performance, he performed Anniversary Waltz by walking up in front of the judges' table and performed for them.
As for cardiographic, while this is an excellent effect, someone had already done it on last year's show.
Ring in walnut sounds great though.
BY the way, I will also be auditioning for America's Got Talent. See you there :)

What ever it is you're going to do....

1) NO CARDS! Cards are so over done it's almost cliche. Do something different. Something that will make you stand out.

2) You only get 90 seconds to perform. You can't go over that, so what ever you do... better be fast with it!

This is why I'm routinely frustrated by shows like this which knee cap most good magic tricks by placing ludicrous time constraints on the act. 90 seconds works GREAT for grand illusions, productions and vanishes. But anything else and you're pretty much screwed.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah - You get a very limited amount of time in the first few rounds

Also, know this - AGT is not a place to create your career. Don't plan on winning. And I'm not saying that as a commentary on you - the show is not kind to magicians so even if you were the best magician ever, there's still a REALLY good chance you won't make it very far. Use it as a way to get publicity, but don't plan on winning. Heck, a pretty large portion of people standing in line will be dismissed without even getting a chance to audition as a way to cut down on how many people they have to see in a day.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend any of those tricks. While they do have the resources to help out a close-up performer later, they're not going to put much effort into the initial rounds. Rubik's Nightmare and Ring in Walnut are too small. 52 Shades of Red is just a card trick. Cardiographic would take too long to present well.

You want to think fast, punchy, different, and visual with nothing extra that you can't bring yourself.

PS - Watch what the other magicians who have performed have done to get an idea of what the judges look for.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Christopher, I don't think small effects are going to be a problem though. Last year Collins Key performed a vanishing bill and anniversary waltz on the show. Also, don't forget that guy who did card to mouth and got through.
William, I don't see why card magic should be a problem. As long as it's unique enough and not boring I don't think this should be a problem.

Apr 17, 2013
Christopher, I don't think small effects are going to be a problem though. Last year Collins Key performed a vanishing bill and anniversary waltz on the show. Also, don't forget that guy who did card to mouth and got through.
William, I don't see why card magic should be a problem. As long as it's unique enough and not boring I don't think this should be a problem.

You do know some of those are scouted to be on the show and they take extra steps to make them look good for the early rounds right?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Some things to consider. . .

90% of the acts you see on AGT are already established and have been working for a while which means they are prepared, they have a wide range of material the producers can choose from -- it's not your call in most cases. They want to see an outline of what you can deliver upon request, as I understand things and video of each routine will help you get passed through.

My point is, YOU'RE NOT READY. . . you don't even have an act or else you'd not be asking us what to do. Step back and take at least the next year to two years cultivating a series of acts that get steady work so you can polish them and be ready. That's what real talent shows are about, especially when big $$$ are involved.

Think about it, they are giving you a run in Vegas which means you must be prepared to do a 90 minute program less than 6 months after you've "won" and on top of that, they frequently tour those that placed in the top 10 spots.

AGT is very political in how it works and essentially, if you place in the higher levels they own you for a year or so. . . the producers are going to book the heck out of you and make money off your back. . . or at least that's how it's been explained to me. While this can be a good thing, it can also be a pain in the hind-side.

I've said it more than a thousand times; you can't sell an act unless you have an act. You do not have an act so how can you possibly believe you're worth a million bucks and a chance to work Vegas?

Sorry to sound so "negative" but this is the real world we're discussing and only those prepared are going to come close to winning.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

Did he perform those on the audition?

And further point - name a card trick you can do in 90 seconds that's unique and not boring.

Sep 1, 2007
I am attending America's got talent this season but still cannot decide what to do for that huge stage.

Then you're not ready. I would be less worried about getting on TV and more focused on building a solid, commercial act first.

If you saw Collins Key's performance, he performed Anniversary Waltz by walking up in front of the judges' table and performed for them.

His performances were also awful, so probably not the best reference to make.

1) NO CARDS! Cards are so over done it's almost cliche. Do something different. Something that will make you stand out.

Thank you.

This is why I'm routinely frustrated by shows like this which knee cap most good magic tricks by placing ludicrous time constraints on the act. 90 seconds works GREAT for grand illusions, productions and vanishes. But anything else and you're pretty much screwed.

Part of the problem is that AGT is not a true variety show. It always boils down to being a singing and dancing competition because that's the only thing TV producers know how to do consistently. They want the market from both American Idol and the Ellen Degeneres Show, but they only know how to produce for the former.

Which ear do you call "Entrance" and which one is "Exit?"

Emphasis mine. That's your problem.

Sorry to sound so "negative" but this is the real world we're discussing and only those prepared are going to come close to winning.

You forget Craig that on this forum looking at things with a realistic eye is useless pessimism, while believing in yourself hard enough can reshape reality itself.

My prediction is that this thread is the last we will hear of either audition talked about. Neither one will pan out because neither one of them are talking like a professional. Everyone keeps talking about Collin Keys like he's the second coming of Christ, but the kid didn't win, his performances were hackneyed, his persona was obnoxious as sin, and he only got as far as he did because he's a good-looking young guy the producers could point to and say, "See? We give all types of performers a fair shake!"

Nov 19, 2013
A magician has yet to win AGT, in knowing that you have to think of the reality, there have been astounding magicians (no...not Collins Key, I swear I'm not referring to him.) in the past on that show, which gives people a certain standard, the effects you listed are good effects, but well known effects. I don't think you are even close to ready for AGT. Not because you aren't talented, but because America is a lot harsher than you think. And don't forget, close up is okay, but stage stuff is preferred, even Collins Key tried close up, and for me at least, it didn't look good for AGT. You have to be lovable by the majority of the country, are you? My point is this. I guarantee you a better magician than you will try out, thousands of performers try out! And what's your motive for AGT? It won't make you famous, even on this thread magicians forgot the names of certain performers. Go out, work hard, and try to make a name for yourself. Don't rely on NBC to do it for you, because you're putting faith in the wrong person, put faith in yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
A magician has yet to win AGT, in knowing that you have to think of the reality, there have been astounding magicians (no...not Collins Key, I swear I'm not referring to him.) in the past on that show, which gives people a certain standard, the effects you listed are good effects, but well known effects. I don't think you are even close to ready for AGT. Not because you aren't talented, but because America is a lot harsher than you think. And don't forget, close up is okay, but stage stuff is preferred, even Collins Key tried close up, and for me at least, it didn't look good for AGT. You have to be lovable by the majority of the country, are you? My point is this. I guarantee you a better magician than you will try out, thousands of performers try out! And what's your motive for AGT? It won't make you famous, even on this thread magicians forgot the names of certain performers. Go out, work hard, and try to make a name for yourself. Don't rely on NBC to do it for you, because you're putting faith in the wrong person, put faith in yourself.

Your words really inspired me to think and to follow my dreams. Thank you very much for your thoughtful advice. I am also trying out for AGT, not because I want to win or even become famous. All I want is to experience what it would be like to perform in this environment.

Because card magic is both cliche and boring. You are a magician. By that very asertion the audience already knows the end to any card trick you will ever do. Of course you'll know or find the selected somehow.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I would suggest avoiding AGT at all costs because it will either be a huge waste of energy or make you look like a tool on live TV. Also, the other reason is all the time constraints they will place on you, even if you have a good stage act. Your act will still be cut extremely short and a lot of the impact of whatever you are doing will just look kind of so-so.

As far as the card magic arguments people seem to have. Card magic on Live TV specially AGT won't work, because it's incredibly difficult and nearly impossible to convey any form of close up magic when you are supposed to be performing for large audiences.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Something to consider. . . Kevin James, Murray and a handful of other major award winning magicians have never gone as far as Colin Keys and as has been said, Colin was just a cute little rich kid the producers liked, his "talent" was more than questionable (far too many performers now days think that using a dozen stooges in magic. . . not so.)

Kevin James is one of the most novel and creative acts out there, it's very difficult to find another act that as novel as his in that Kevin doesn't do anything commercial, it's always his own spin with things like Barclay Shaw was. So this is the sort of thing you're up against, they've seen the very best and then ripped them apart . . . then again, Murry's train vanish was worthy of the axe, it's stupid and totally unbelievable. But we are talking about an easy $15 - 20k for one trick that he presented on the show and the piece bombed. So think it over.

Dec 23, 2010
No matter what you chose to do, just remember be comfortable with it. An oppurtunity like this is almost once in a lifetime. Good luck, be sure to share how your audition goes.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results