Angle Zero - The Perfect Plot

Aug 31, 2007
California
I recently have thought of an amazing setting for Daniel Madison's incredible card effect, Angle Zero. If you don't know what Angle Zero is, you can check out his newly released DVD set here at theory11. http://www.theory11.com/tricks/dangerous.php

If you're too lazy to click and read that page, here's the gist of the effect. The performer tears a corner off of a spectator's signed selection, makes it vanish, and appear simply anywhere the specator desires. As seen in the preview video, Daniel makes it appear on the hand of a clock. But my new idea explores the idea of not only where it can transpose, but also when. That's right, when. This is my hypothetic scenario. (Owners of this DVD set, or any of the notes consisting of the secret of Angle Zero should figure out how this is done. If you need any help, PM me.)

The performer and a small crowd of people are at a restaurant. The performer has a card selected and signed. He proceeds to tear off a corner, and gives the rest of the card to the spectator. The performer then holds the corner in his hand and begins to tell his procedure of how he is going to make the corner disappear. He says,

"Now, this will be an experiment in time travel. In a few moments, I will go back in time twenty-four hours, to yesterday. I will still have this piece of card in my hand. I will hand it to the manager of the restaurant. I'll ask him to hold onto the piece for me, and that if anyone asks him for the piece, he will tell you I gave it to him, in these exact clothes. He'll then be instructed to give you the piece, so you can verify it is the exact same corner ripped off from that card. Watch closely..."

The performer closes his eyes for a moment, squeezes his hands and shows them empty...completely clean, the piece is absolutely gone. The spectator with the card is then instructed to go to the manager of the restaurant and ask him about the piece. When asked, he states that it was the performer who gave him the piece yesterday, in the same clothes. He'll hand over the piece, and the spectator will see that is the exact same piece ripped off.

So basically the performer went back in time to give the piece to anyone, at anytime. It can be a day ago, 20 minutes ago, or even a month ago. You can take a picture with the person the performer gives it to, undeniably proving going back in time. There can be some proof of date (i.e. If the performance is on June 18th, the picture can be taken on June 17th) with the same exact clothes the performer is wearing the day of the performance.

I'm sorry in advance if this is hard to understand, I will elaborate on any part of the effect if anyone wishes so. Also, critique or any comments are appreciated.

Apr 28, 2008
It's a nice idea but I think the audience would immediately think you used a stooge. I believe this trick would be 'too perfect', the effect is so impossible that it leads the audience to the only possible solution. E.g. A similar situation is a Svengali deck, every card turning into the same card is so impossible that the only possible way it could be done is with a trick deck. This effect would be like the svengali deck but 10 times more impossible.

Also, whenever I hear a magician telling a story like that it makes me feel really uncomfortable as you can generally tell that the audience are thinking 'Why is he telling me this stupid story, does he actually expect me to believe it?'.

Despite this, It's still a very creative idea and you're thinking the right way, but I just don't think this one would work.

D

Deleted member 2755

Someone actually brought up the idea of combining Factory Sealed with Angle Zero. Use the corner of the card instead of a coin. ;)

-Doug

Oct 19, 2007
It would be cool if you were at a restaurant and when vanishing the corner it reappears on the spectators straw that would be cool

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
hmmm

It would be cool if you were at a restaurant and when vanishing the corner it reappears on the spectators straw that would be cool

cool idea, I also love the idea JDEN gave and the factory sealed idea. I'll have to pick up a copy of this dvd :) anyway, how hard is angle zero anyway?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hey I like the idea. I agree it might be too perfect. Not sure tho.
And you have to be careful about using the manager. They are awfully busy. The manager might not be able to come over, or might be far to busy to participate. However, if you gave it to another table nearby....

j

Aug 31, 2007
California
Thanks a lot for the responses guys, this is really helping me out.

anyway, how hard is angle zero anyway?

I believe it's the easiest effect on the DVD, besides Color.

It's a nice idea but I think the audience would immediately think you used a stooge. I believe this trick would be 'too perfect', the effect is so impossible that it leads the audience to the only possible solution. E.g. A similar situation is a Svengali deck, every card turning into the same card is so impossible that the only possible way it could be done is with a trick deck. This effect would be like the svengali deck but 10 times more impossible.

Also, whenever I hear a magician telling a story like that it makes me feel really uncomfortable as you can generally tell that the audience are thinking 'Why is he telling me this stupid story, does he actually expect me to believe it?'.

Despite this, It's still a very creative idea and you're thinking the right way, but I just don't think this one would work.

I appreciate the critique, I was dying the look for some flaws anyhow. :) I agree a lot of people would think I'm using a stooge. However, maybe the use of photo evidence could help go against that statement. But I certainly could use more help on making everyone believe it's not a stooge.

Also, I have to agree with your statement that a magician telling a story would get pretty boring. But I was thinking, maybe if you made the piece vanish first, and then you could have some of the story be an explanation as to why the piece is gone, then it would be a little more believable.

Hey I like the idea. I agree it might be too perfect. Not sure tho.
And you have to be careful about using the manager. They are awfully busy. The manager might not be able to come over, or might be far to busy to participate. However, if you gave it to another table nearby....

j

Using a manager of a restaurant was only a hypothetic situation, as it can be done with anyone, anywhere. You could use your parents, another adult you know, or really just any person. And when asked for the piece, they will honestly tell you it was given to him/her 24 hours ago, a week ago, a month ago, however long the magician wishes to "go back in time." There's no lying, stooges, anything whatsoever. You're completely clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks a lot for the responses guys, this is really helping me out.

I believe it's the easiest effect on the DVD, besides Color.

I appreciate the critique, I was dying the look for some flaws anyhow. :) I agree a lot of people would think I'm using a stooge. However, maybe the use of photo evidence could help go against that statement. But I certainly could use more help on making everyone believe it's not a stooge.

Also, I have to agree with your statement that a magician telling a story would get pretty boring. But I was thinking, maybe if you made the piece vanish first, and then you could have some of the story be an explanation as to why the piece is gone, then it would be a little more believable.

Using a manager of a restaurant was only a hypothetic situation, as it can be done with anyone, anywhere. You could use your parents, another adult you know, or really just any person. And when asked for the piece, they will honestly tell you it was given to him/her 24 hours ago, a week ago, a month ago, however long the magician wishes to "go back in time." There's no lying, stooges, anything whatsoever. You're completely clean.

You raise some interesting points, I guess the only way to find out is to try it out, i'd be very interested to know if it works. However, I would strongly suggest you don't use a photograph. I think this would be far 'too perfect'. No matter how much you try and prove it the audience will never believe you actually travelled in time so I think extra 'evidence' would probably just push them towards the solution. Although I do really like the idea of somebody else having the piece, perhaps you can think of another explanation aside from time travel?

Aug 31, 2007
California
You raise some interesting points, I guess the only way to find out is to try it out, i'd be very interested to know if it works. However, I would strongly suggest you don't use a photograph. I think this would be far 'too perfect'. No matter how much you try and prove it the audience will never believe you actually travelled in time so I think extra 'evidence' would probably just push them towards the solution. Although I do really like the idea of somebody else having the piece, perhaps you can think of another explanation aside from time travel?

Yes, I understand the picture might be a bit much. All I'm saying is you can have one if you really want to. I believe the person having received it the day before, and being able to honestly tell the spectator that is amazing enough.

Apr 28, 2008
Yes, I understand the picture might be a bit much. All I'm saying is you can have one if you really want to. I believe the person having received it the day before, and being able to honestly tell the spectator that is amazing enough.

You can go for it if you want, i'm just saying is that as it is so amazing it will make the spectators search for the answer to it even more than a normal trick would. When the spectators do this they will quickly find one.

Sep 11, 2007
Houston TX
This might sound a lil crazy but yesterday I perform Angle Zero, wait theres more, do yall know the trick where a coin is vanish to later reapear under the spectators wrist watch, well instead of using a coin I used the corner of the card, I used a similar patter like d+M, you just have to have the confedence to do it and remember misdirection is everything

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
This might sound a lil crazy but yesterday I perform Angle Zero, wait theres more, do yall know the trick where a coin is vanish to later reapear under the spectators wrist watch, well instead of using a coin I used the corner of the card, I used a similar patter like d+M, you just have to have the confedence to do it and remember misdirection is everything
I thought about that today while driving. I was thinking of Greg Wilson's coin routine where it goes in the watch and instead use the corner and the same patter. I haven't gotten it yet but I was thinking it should work.

May 10, 2008
Pretty good, Angle Zero is such an amazing effect because its so versatile. Here's a routine that I want to do once school starts up again.

The spectator selects a card. The card is signed and the corner is torn out, giving the rest to the spectator. The magician vanishes the piece into nothingness. The magician chuckles a little as he gets reactions and as he turns to leave, he tells the spectator to just throw the card away. The spectator goes to throw it away and right there, staring back at him is the corner of the card pinned to the trash can, with a note pinned with it, saying, "Looking for something?" The pieces match.

I havent tried it out yet but I REALLY want to.

Aug 31, 2007
California
Pretty good, Angle Zero is such an amazing effect because its so versatile. Here's a routine that I want to do once school starts up again.

The spectator selects a card. The card is signed and the corner is torn out, giving the rest to the spectator. The magician vanishes the piece into nothingness. The magician chuckles a little as he gets reactions and as he turns to leave, he tells the spectator to just throw the card away. The spectator goes to throw it away and right there, staring back at him is the corner of the card pinned to the trash can, with a note pinned with it, saying, "Looking for something?" The pieces match.

I havent tried it out yet but I REALLY want to.

I love that idea haha :) Would you mind if I tried that out sometime ?

Remy

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results