Another Fearson Levitation!

Jun 22, 2008
earth
I'm not impressed by that levitation. It seems to be a modified criss angel levitation, or maybe criss's levitation is a modification of this one. either way criss's is way better and doesn't require any cover.

that video seems to be twenty years old...

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Apparently he used it to win some major competitions. Also, it's old as the hills and Steve was one of the first to use this principle. Aaron Patterson and Criss Angel have also experimented with it.

You guys are thinking too much like magicians sho know the basic methods of self levitation.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
You guys are thinking too much like magicians sho know the basic methods of self levitation.

While I would normally say this, in this case it just isn't true. That is way too much cash for that effect compared to what else it out there. As far as us thinking like magicians...

While you don't want to assume spectators know everything, you also don't want to assume them as dumb. Anything nowadays which requires cover like that will seem very obvious to the spectators. Regardless if the actual method is really known, as soon as the spec think of a way, its no different then them knowing the actual method.

-ThrallMind

EDIT:

Anyone find it funny that the link to the video says "PG-13," yet the caption during the video he says "I am on my p***s?"

Sep 2, 2007
thats what his reason is for the blanket to that it doesn;t look like he's hiding a the method, but keeping it under an R/NC-17 rating.

Apr 28, 2008
To be honest I think this looks stupid.

The Criss Angel levitation is far more impressive. I think any observant spectator could quite possibly work this out. People are far more intelligent than a lot of magician's seem to think they are, just because they aren't familiar with magic techniques doesn't mean they won't be able to come up with a possible explanation.

Apr 28, 2008
See, and you're all magicians! It's near impossible to think like a layperson in this regard, since you already seem to know the method.

Don't underestimate a laymen, it wouldn't be difficult for an intelligent spectator to come up with an explanation. The blanket adds to this, it will make them wonder what is being covered up.

It doesn't matter if this is the original method, it has been surpassed by other levitations.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
See, and you're all magicians! It's near impossible to think like a layperson in this regard, since you already seem to know the method.

I've said it already in this thread once, Michael. Don't assume all laypeople are idiots. Nowadays, if you cover something up as you float, they will assume it has something to do with whats under the coat. It doesnt matter if they know exactly whats, because the spell has still been broken.

-ThrallMind

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I know very well they are not idiots. I am saying they do not think like we do. That's just basic knowledge. Hear the way the audience in the video is reacting. If the "Criss Angel" levitation can fool people than why can't Fearson's?

Apr 28, 2008
I know very well they are not idiots. I am saying they do not think like we do. That's just basic knowledge. Hear the way the audience in the video is reacting. If the "Criss Angel" levitation can fool people than why can't Fearson's?

Just because they use the same principe doesn't mean they are equally likely to fool people.

If you use a Svengali deck and show all the faces are the same then most people will work out you're using a trick deck. If you use it in a more subtle way they probably won't suspect a trick deck.
I believe the Steve Fearson routine invites suspicion due to the cover of the blanket, it just seems very over the top and looks like a trick. The Criss Angel levitation just looks a lot more convincing in my opinion.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Steve originally released this MANY years ago, before Icarus and certainly before Criss ripped it off - I couldn't believe he released that levitation, but looking further into his method, there's some nice modifications and it has been brought into the street environment.

I've used the FFF on various occasions, I know that Steve has blown away 10 times more audiences than I have with it, but it does work.

Now, admittedly I haven't performed this in about 3 or 4 years maybe and with Criss' input audiences expect a lot more from magicians, they are wiser to our tricks, but at the same time it's all dependent on environment, performance and of course the targets.

When you see FFF in real life it still looks mad, if you do it right you can still get away with it I'm certain, I remember about a year ago just doing a M.U.S.L.E/Vamp Cape style levitation at a college (the one where you hold a jacket in front of you, showing your shoes through the bottom as you rise) and that got me SERIOUS reactions.

It's all in performance. I do the most ridiculous things and still get incredible reactions, as I'm sure a lot of you do... I wouldn't knock it till you've tried it, I don't really do too much levitation stuff anymore, but this was one of my favorites to have set up in a parlor or dinner environment. Great fun!

D.

Sep 1, 2007
I was not aware of that. Either way looks very elementary for me thats my opinion.

Simplicity in method should NEVER be taken into consideration when determining the possible strength and impact of an effect.

Alot of magics' greatest effects that kill lay people are extremely simple. The method does not matter. If you are a good performer, then the impact will come automatically.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results