Another Forum Idea...

So I was reading a newsletter from Jeff McBride today and one of the subjects he talks about is mentorship.

Having a mentor is helps a lot. It's always good to have someone you can go to for advice, thoughts and insight. Not just someone who can show you tricks, but help you develop yourself.

Well other magic forums have special titles for like elite members of the forums. So I was thinking, why not adapt something like that here, and offer people a chance to partner up with qualified members who could serve as a mentor?

The mentor program could have specific requirements needed to be met before you can apply to be a mentor. Mentors are selected by T11 staff, so to control the quality. Forum members are free to chose from the published list of mentors who they'd want to "work" with.

Perhaps if we can get some of our resident T11 artists to join in, it may be more fun and enlightening for everyone else.

What do you think?

Feb 5, 2010
I have to say that is a good idea. I bet it would be overwhelming to find enough people to do be mentors. but i still like the idea

Jun 1, 2009
This sounds like a really good idea. Maybe have a certain amount of "pupils" per mentor, so one person doesn't get overwhelemed? May be some minor kinks, as there is to any new idea, but I like the sound of it.

Jacob

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I love it. The only issue would be the amount of time it would take for the mentor. They might get overwhelmed.

But otherwise, I love this idea.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I like this idea but we have a sort of unofficial version with people who are respected among the forums. The mentor would also have to be able to say no if they are too busy to take on more students. Although the maturity of some of the members on this board my make it hard for the firmer mentors to held.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
So I was reading a newsletter from Jeff McBride today and one of the subjects he talks about is mentorship.

Having a mentor is helps a lot. It's always good to have someone you can go to for advice, thoughts and insight. Not just someone who can show you tricks, but help you develop yourself.

Well other magic forums have special titles for like elite members of the forums. So I was thinking, why not adapt something like that here, and offer people a chance to partner up with qualified members who could serve as a mentor?

The mentor program could have specific requirements needed to be met before you can apply to be a mentor. Mentors are selected by T11 staff, so to control the quality. Forum members are free to chose from the published list of mentors who they'd want to "work" with.

Perhaps if we can get some of our resident T11 artists to join in, it may be more fun and enlightening for everyone else.

What do you think?

Love it Draven. T11 needs to look into this.

L

Sep 1, 2007
UK
It's an interesting idea, but I'd definitely be concerned about the quality of the mentoring. Regardless of whether staff moderate who can mentor, it is incredibly difficult to judge somebodies level without ever having met them in person, purely by their posts, where largely, such judgements would have to be made on claims people make about themselves.

I can also see a problem occurring if people were to start trying to become a mentor, when they clearly aren't ready. I don't mean to disparage this forum or anything, but on forums like this there are often many people who care far too much about their status on the forum, and if only one or two of this kind of person slips through to becoming a "qualified mentor", then it could really damage many peoples progression in magic.

Furthermore, mentoring is quite a personal thing. I hate the idea of picking mentor from a list based on other people's judgements. There is no reason why those seeking a mentor can't make judgements for themselves based on what other members post, then contact those people in private, then find out a little more about them informally before eventually it becomes clear that some kind of mentor-mentee relationship could work.

Joe

It's an interesting idea, but I'd definitely be concerned about the quality of the mentoring. Regardless of whether staff moderate who can mentor, it is incredibly difficult to judge somebodies level without ever having met them in person, purely by their posts, where largely, such judgements would have to be made on claims people make about themselves.

I can also see a problem occurring if people were to start trying to become a mentor, when they clearly aren't ready. I don't mean to disparage this forum or anything, but on forums like this there are often many people who care far too much about their status on the forum, and if only one or two of this kind of person slips through to becoming a "qualified mentor", then it could really damage many peoples progression in magic.

Furthermore, mentoring is quite a personal thing. I hate the idea of picking mentor from a list based on other people's judgements. There is no reason why those seeking a mentor can't make judgements for themselves based on what other members post, then contact those people in private, then find out a little more about them informally before eventually it becomes clear that some kind of mentor-mentee relationship could work.

Joe

Obviously there's a LOT of open ends on this idea that will have to be hammered out if someone decides to use it, but I'm confident that these problems can be overcome. In fact, many of your objections are already dealt with on a daily bases here on the boards as is.

Here's what I've heard so far.

1) Mentor overload. Yes, probably a good idea to limit the number of students to a single mentor. Otherwise I'm sure you'd end up with a kind of burn out.

2) Selecting mentors for the site I think should largely be done like interviewing for a job. Submit your resume, achievements, credits, video reel, etc. Mods or Admins review and approve or deny.

3) Not everyone is going to be able to mentor. Hell by my own examples I'd probably not even make the cut. But that's not a bad thing. That's just saying the quality level would be strictly enforced.

4) If the mentor application process is governed by a higher authority, then it prevents people from deputizing them self to the position.

5) This forum already has a few people in a mentor like position if you think about it. Think about all the people who contribute good words of advice to this forum, such as Shane Black, Reaverhart, Morg, Pre, Mikk, and the others. A mentor really doesn't teach you magic tricks, they kind of guide you if you have questions. They share their thoughts and experience with you. They help you grow. This would consolidate these qualified and experienced individuals into a group and make that groups experience available on a more personal level.

6) Obviously it would be difficult to judge a persons skill based off posts or video or webcam. However given the opportunity over nothing at all, I'd say it's not a bad idea.

Just my thoughts.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Should mentoring be such a formal process, though? Maybe it could be actively encouraged without making it so formal?

Joe

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
In the mean time why don't you make an unofficial mentor threads where some has to apply to you with a short essay and atleast 3 referal essays from members. If you think that they are worthy you just their names to your list. I am sure the bump police will keep it near the top of the threads.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Great idea. This will help out a lot of people. I personally cannot put in the time required to apply, nor to work on things as much as I would want to with a mentor. I would not do enough justice to him. I'm sure lots could benefit from this.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Should mentoring be such a formal process, though? Maybe it could be actively encouraged without making it so formal?

Joe

Formality can be really important in something like this. If there is some sort of structure/process, then it keeps both parties on track and focused.

It would be different if each party met in person regularly, then the formality becomes less important.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results