Any non smokers out there that do cigarette magic?

Oct 14, 2008
I don't smoke, nor would I do it even for an effect, however I'am still a bit intrigued by cigarette Magic. I really like Cyril's manipulations and I have 50 Ways To Rock a Lighter. I was just wondering if anyone out there was using fake cigarettes or do you think that cigarette magic doesn't fit with a non smoker?

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I wouldn't recommend it to kids, but cigarette magic could be effective in responsible hands.
I think it's good for impromptu magic. Go up to smokers, take their cigarette and help them quit by making it disappear. Go into a routine and be creative.

Last edited by a moderator:
THere is this funny thing you can do if the heckler is a smoker:
YOu have the hecker choose a card, memorize it, then put it back in the middle of the deck.
You say that you magically made the card go into the cig. you take a cig and and rip it in half but no card is in there. then with a puzzled experience you try to see if it is in any other one by tearing up another cig. then repeat as he gets mad.

That's a d*** move, no doubt.

Cigarette magic can be really neat. I'm not a frequent smoker by any means, and I'm planning to learn some unlit cig stuff. . . as well as Derren Brown's Smoke. Brilliant trick.

David Stone also has some cool cig stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I don't smoke, but I do go to a hippie college, so it helps to know some cigarette tricks. But don't smoke. It's bad for you. Practice using a golf pencil.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Well...
This is an interesting topic.
I dont do cigarette magic regularly for a couple of reasons: 1. I dont smoke. 2. Im 15, parents finding me with cigarettes is a big no no 3. gives a wrong impression of what you do although it may be cool 4. Cant really do it in Non-smoking areas even if its not lit.

I find that cigarette magic is indeed amazing. The sleight of hand used can be as hard as any other. But what I find which makes the tricks special is the smoke. Making something dissappear in a puff of smoke is much neater than just a little rub. But with all the limitations, I dont really find the point of using a cigarette. I still practice the same sleights with pencils which have become too short, cigarette sized candy, and bits and pieces of the same size. It works exactly the same cept for the smoke and the message.

As I have some friends who do smoke, when they pull one out, I am still able to make it dissapear and what not.

Having 50 Ways to Rock a Lighter doesn't really require you to do cigarette magic. Ofcourse if you do, then you can just light it in a very fancy way. But I myself do some pyro magic and lighter flourishes fit in nicely. The flourishes can also just be done like card flourishing. Lighting is not even necessary. You can just flick around with a unlit Zippo and still look pretty sweet.

If I did smoke, I would practice cigarette sleights as well as the actual smoke stunts such as smoke rings and such. Little add ons like smoke rings can make productions a lot more visual and aesthetically pleasing.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I do Daniel Garcia's Warning, with unlit cigarette, and say that I am trying to quit smoking, and a method of smoking an unlit cigarette is really helping...

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
If I'm not mistaken, Tom Mullica wasn't a smoker. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought he said he didn't smoke other than for his routine. Somebody correct me if I' wrong, please.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I dunno the actual facts but He has a couple DVDs on cigarette magic. He also does things like smoke rings and other smoke stunts, so i would find it kinda hard not to get addicted. But what would i noe im 15 haha

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I used to do a cig and card manip routine when I was younger (Never smoked a day in my life) and used the puff cigarettes. A good place to see some cig manip is the thimbles, balls, etc Shimada Manipulation video (it's older than some of you are)

Vito Lupo has a good pantomime cig routine as does Mullica.

For good non smoking magic I would suggest Ron Jaxon's Outsmokin'. Cig filter jumps around which is a good reason not to just put it away out of frustration and not smoke.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results