Any Suggestions for Books?

May 4, 2017
I know that there is no "best" dvd, but as a intermediate magician who is interested in card magic, I want to get some suggestions. In my opinion books and dvds would help me to reach advenced level. I really want to know what dvds/books helped you alot which didnt?
Thank you for reading!

May 4, 2017
My questions are what do you currently have, what effects do you like to perform and what is your budget?
I have paul harris books the art of astonishments, and as effects I have svengali,gaff,invisible deck and any other classic gimmicked decks, I have a budget between 50-80$ also I want to learn more advanced stuff with normal deck of cards.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
-Royal Road to Card Magic
-Expert Card Technique
-Expert at the Card Table (although this one can be difficult to understand at times)
-Mark Wilson's Complete Course has card tricks among many other tricks so if you want to dabble in all sorts of magic, I highly recommend this book.
-Card College is great as well but it's pretty expensive to buy all of the volumes. From what I've heard, it'll teach you just about everything you'd ever need to know about card magic. I'm not sure how true this is but I haven't heard anything negative about it.

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Card College is great as well but it's pretty expensive to buy all of the volumes. From what I've heard, it'll teach you just about everything you'd ever need to know about card magic. I'm not sure how true this is but I haven't heard anything negative about it.

If you mastered everything in all five volumes, you would be one of the top card magicians in the world. If you just get the first two volumes and master them, you would have all of the fundamentals down.

I have paul harris books the art of astonishments, and as effects I have svengali,gaff,invisible deck and any other classic gimmicked decks, I have a budget between 50-80$ also I want to learn more advanced stuff with normal deck of cards.

What do you perform out of Art of Astonishment? There is a tremendous amount of great effects in those books.

My recomendation is to pick up Card College Volumes 1 and 2. They provide the building blocks for the later books.

-Royal Road to Card Magic
-Expert Card Technique
-Expert at the Card Table (although this one can be difficult to understand at times)
-Mark Wilson's Complete Course has card tricks among many other tricks so if you want to dabble in all sorts of magic, I highly recommend this book.

If you want to get a bunch of older books which are less expensive, get what Anthony recommends plus:

~ Arthur Buckley's Card Control
~ Jerry Mentzler's Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties
~ Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
~ Hugard and Braue's Expert Card Technique
~ Scarne on Card Tricks
~ Paul LePaul's The Card Magic of LePaul

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
If you mastered everything in all five volumes, you would be one of the top card magicians in the world. If you just get the first two volumes and master them, you would have all of the fundamentals down.

What do you perform out of Art of Astonishment? There is a tremendous amount of great effects in those books.

My recomendation is to pick up Card College Volumes 1 and 2. They provide the building blocks for the later books.

If you want to get a bunch of older books which are less expensive, get what Anthony recommends plus:

~ Arthur Buckley's Card Control
~ Jerry Mentzler's Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties
~ Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
~ Hugard and Braue's Expert Card Technique
~ Scarne on Card Tricks
~ Paul LePaul's The Card Magic of LePaul

There are so many great books on card magic out there.

Also, I think Royal Road is free as a PDF on Conjuring Arts. It might still be up there but I'm not positive.

Apr 16, 2017
There are too many great books and dvds these days....

I would recommend any books or dvds by Darwin Ortiz, especially Strong Magic. Although Strong Magic is not about card magic entirely, but this is a must read, especially who wants to advance his level in performing. It is all about magic performance.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results