Are there still Criss Angel haters... Why?

Sep 16, 2009
I'll be mainly quoting in this post, but just to clear everything up.

I think magicians of all kinds don't like him just because he's claiming this and that and is making a fool of himself to us while he only fools laymen, and himself. I wouldn't have any problem with a stooge or two as I used them that way myself as well, when at least the rest of my crowd is bigger than 10 others (for 1 stooge in max 2 tricks), but, full fake audiences? Having let's say 10 stooges to fool only 2 real spectators? Simply unacceptable in this world.

Yes, the shows are about entertainment, but that's not what Criss says. He claims that he never used camera and video trickery and that what you see is what you get. He could've solved the whole thing by performing it slightly different from the very beginning, but he now got it rolling and now it's way too late to stop it. Unlike David Blaine, who lifted simple magic to a whole new level, and now and then uses real audience reactions and merges those with what the audience believe they saw (like at his levitations), Criss doesn't have much of a value to the world of magic. His team on the other hand, do.

Also Criss says that so called cut scenes were only done to add misdirection to the whole thing, the way the audiences experienced it in real life. Seriously, come on. No needs to say such thing if it's complete bullocks. Any magician could've answer doubts better than that, as a magician, not a liar.

And then trying to expose others who do have an amazing act, turn their whole life into that act, and having others believe that they are real? Isn't that the audience their own choice (or fault as some of you might call it)? If I ask any psychic spectator (and believe me, I asked a lot), all of them say they made the choice to believe it, and they realize they made that choice. It's the same choice people have when watching Mindfreak, yet those people choose to watch a liar, and the others choose to watch something that's very valuable to them, and it works for them.

And about the stage shows, fine, he gets my props to that, even while there are tons of performance flaws and he has done better back in the days. But.. if it's the most expensive magic show, then I think he let's everyone down big time. Do you realize that if you had so much money you could've bought every illusion to make the perfect shows? I think you may have done better than he did.

"There is a difference between lying and manipulating. And Criss is a liar."

And I personally hate him for doing the impossible and making people believe we magicians are able to do such things. If ever one invents methods to those TV illusions, it still won't be "as good as Criss did it".

'Nuff said.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I think hes a bad magician, but a good entertainer.

But if the point of magic is to entertain, then how is he a bad magician?

Being a magician, and being an entertainer are two seperate things.

Further, being an entertainer who does magic is someting diffrent too.

They require two seperate skill sets.

Half the crappy exposure videos on youtube are of magicians. Which is why I strive to NOT be a magician.

To be a magician all you need is to know a secret that someone else doesn't, and do a trick with it.

To be an entertainer, you have to hold an audiences attention, captivate, inspire, convey a message, and a whole list of other things. Basicly, more work.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
That was my point.

I fail to see any relevance in your point.

Criss angel just plays the role of "I can do this, you guys can't" wich "astounds" people.

It's just a role playing game where the "magician" simply has something that you don't

I dont call that performing. sorry.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Being a magician, and being an entertainer are two seperate things.

Further, being an entertainer who does magic is someting diffrent too.

They require two seperate skill sets.

Half the crappy exposure videos on youtube are of magicians. Which is why I strive to NOT be a magician.

To be a magician all you need is to know a secret that someone else doesn't, and do a trick with it.

To be an entertainer, you have to hold an audiences attention, captivate, inspire, convey a message, and a whole list of other things. Basicly, more work.

yeah what he said.

so chris angel is an entertainer?
not a magican?

what do you think?

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I fail to see any relevance in your point.

Criss angel ust plays the role of "I can do this, you guys can't" wich "astounds" people.

It's just a role playing game where the "magician" simply has something that you don't

I dont call that performing. sorry.

then what do you call what he does?

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
so whats the difference in what he does, and what you say is magic?

Gee golly gosh :rolleyes:

Im in no position to define magic, im not going to insult it with giving it a poor wikipedia answer, maybe later down the road when I know more about it I will be able to give you an answer.

I suggest you do the same.

If you do not know or understand what a PERFORMANCE is I suggest you refrain from calling Criss Angel stunts "performances"

nuff' said.

(for now)

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
not going to insult it with giving it a poor wikipedia answer

Well if you won't, I will. sheesh.

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible[1] or supernatural[2] feats, using purely natural means. These feats are called magic tricks, effects or illusions.
One who performs such illusions is called a magician or an illusionist. Some performers may also be referred to by names reflecting the type of magical effects they present, such as prestidigitators, conjurors, mentalists, escape artists, and ventriloquists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_(illusion)

Sep 24, 2009
k guys stopped reading at page 4 sorry lol but to Dylan.P on page 3 saying we call what we do magic, um maybe some people but I myself refrain from calling it magic OR a trick (both are bad) I use lines like "would you like to see SOMETHING with this deck of cards" something is the key word, your not saying would you like to see a trick or would you like to see some magic. Use something as your key word and your golden :p eg. " would like to see something with these *produce three coins* three coins" let them make they're own conclusions.

And as for Criss Angel yes he's a filthy liar lol I remember one episode he was gonna do "all sleight of hand, no gimmicks etc etc" my god was that ever a lie lol that was also the episode he did gutbuster on the "random guy he's never met" that came out the bathroom. Thats what bugs me the most, he uses stooges for like EVERYTHING.*Criss Angel "oh whats that you guys want to perform an ACR on tv? ok lets get a stooge ready and do something impossible i'd never be able to do with a real spectator"

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Gee golly gosh :rolleyes:

Im in no position to define magic, im not going to insult it with giving it a poor wikipedia answer, maybe later down the road when I know more about it I will be able to give you an answer.

I suggest you do the same.

If you do not know or understand what a PERFORMANCE is I suggest you refrain from calling Criss Angel stunts "performances"

nuff' said.

(for now)

Im just asking what you think to try and better understand where your coming from

just saying its not performing doesn't mean anything to me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results