Art of Magic by W:H

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Cant be as one podcast is about that trick.

Hey guys - unfortunately Candy Scam was the effect that I had to cut. Although I created the effect back in 1998 - it came to my attention that Luke Dancy published a similar idea in 2001. As much as I hated to do it - I had to remove the explanation...

However - Candy Scam wasn't the strongest item on the DVD and I'm more than pleased with the other 5 effects. Let me know if you have any other questions - or feel free to shoot me an email: wayne@waynehouchin.com and I'll try to address your question on one of my Daily Updates.

Talk to you guys soon!

Guys, check out the blog on E. They uploaded an interview with Wayne. My want for this DVD rose up again after listening to it. The focus of this DVD is not the effects on the DVD. It's actually magic and its current state. The documentary section is about an hour in length. To illustrate the points in the interviews, 6 effects having to do with the points talked about are taught. So not all is lost. Actually this DVD just got a little more interesting for me. Listening to Wayne's interview and you'll see what I'm talking about.

-Doug

Doug,
Is this the interview with Wayne you were talking about above?

http://www.waynehouchin.com/teamawesome.html

Jun 1, 2009
If you're interested in that plot, check out Oliver Meech's solution on the Plot Thickens book.

I have my own version of this too and I was looking forward to Wayne's version. Mine works great but is not that practical because you have to make friends with the guy who refills the vending machine and then hang out at the machine counting the number of transactions before you can perform the trick.

Mar 2, 2008

I find it kind of annoying that people are not as into the product because it's on Ellusionist and not theory11.

What should it matter? Same DVD anyways...

But the candy scam one sounds amazing but it's ben taking out? I would of bought it for that trick.

Mar 2, 2008
Too bad as it sounded pretty good. Can you explain a bit more about the Sankey trick?

You take a card and tell the spectator to hold it sandwiched between there hands.

Then you pull out a liter or matches and burn the back of anther card. You take the burnt card and rub it agenst the spectators hand the the burn travels onto the card inside the spectators hand the whole time.

I learned it off anther Sankey DVD. Its a awsome trick.

Nov 8, 2007
I find it kind of annoying that people are not as into the product because it's on Ellusionist and not theory11.

What should it matter? Same DVD anyways...

But the candy scam one sounds amazing but it's ben taking out? I would of bought it for that trick.

What makes you think that's the reason?

Personally I love WH's material, but I don't have much interest in this release. And it has nothing to do with where it's being sold. That's just silly.

I just don't think the price is justified. All the tricks have already been previously published, so there's no new magic here. Which leaves the 1 hour documentary. And for $35 + shipping you're looking at $40 for a 60 minute documentary. I'm sure there's some good stuff in the documentary, but I doubt there's much in it a lot of us who read magic books haven't heard before. At first glance it seems as if it might be a bit self indulgent as well. There's nothing wrong with putting yourself and your friends on video to talk about the first magic trick they saw, but in the end you have to ask yourself--what's the point? If the stories aren't just small set-ups to talk in depth about much larger subjects, then in the end it's just a collection of fanboy anecdotes.

I'm sure that's not the entire case with AoM. I haven't seen it, and I wouldn't expect Wayne to fill a DVD with just that. But at some level that does seem to be a part of it. And when I'm paying $40 to sit down and watch a 60 minute show I'm looking at my watch every time I think it's moving into the realm of self indulgence.

Again, I have not seen AoM--I want to make that clear--so these are just my thoughts on my first impressions of it based on the trailers and clips and descriptions we've all seen and read. I could be totally wrong. But for $40 I think my money could be better spent elsewhere in trying to expand my knowledge on the craft/artform. And that's what I've done. The "magic money" I had set aside this month I put toward Darwin Ortiz's Designing Miracles. Just got it yesterday, but so far it's an amazing book.

I think Wayne is an awesome creator and an incredible performer. I have everything he's released so far and I use all of his material. The man knows magic and I'm a big fan of his work. So perhaps my first impressions of AoM are totally wrong. And honestly, I hope they are because I love when I'm wrong about something in a positive way. I love when I'm not expecting some thing to be great and it blows me out of the water. But as of right now it just doesn't seem to be worth the asking price.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results