Asking Her To Prom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Honestly? Magicians I find have rather defeatist attitudes. And they're very good at rationalizing things they did for inadequate or unintelligent reasons. Consequently, the public in general does not have an exceptionally positive impression of us. And as long as I'm being honest, neither do I.

Magic is greatest when it is sublime. Most magicians use it in very hackneyed, cornball ways. Why? Because another magician did it first and he became rich in the 70's or whatever. A lot of opinions magicians (or, hell, people in general) form are not due to any great thought, introspection, or weighing of proof on their part. They just sort of picked them up along the way. And the longer the opinion has been there, the harder it is for them to actually think about it.

The defeatism can be best summed up as, "I don't have to do a great job, so I won't." And if anyone challenges the idea they're met with the argument of, "It doesn't directly effect you, so why should you bother?" Consider putting the shoe on the other foot for a minute. You see someone considering doing something that just plain isn't a good idea. When you express your concern, you are told it's none of your business, despite the fact that this person a moment ago asked for feedback. Is it any wonder why people like me get so frustrated with you all?

If RK absolutely has to do this, I have told him that the best way is not to do something hackneyed and cliche, but to say the words himself and let the magic be something subtle, understated, and symbolic. Bigger is not always better. And in saying this, my opinion is branded as negative and without merit?

Bull****. "Negative" here is just a code word for, "You disagree with me, so **** you with broken glass."

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Magic is greatest when it is sublime. Most magicians use it in very hackneyed, cornball ways. Why? Because another magician did it first and he became rich in the 70's or whatever. A lot of opinions magicians (or, hell, people in general) form are not due to any great thought, introspection, or weighing of proof on their part. They just sort of picked them up along the way. And the longer the opinion has been there, the harder it is for them to actually think about it.

I wouldn't say that this trend is unique to magicians.

Sep 1, 2007
Hence why I added in parentheses, "people in general." Point is, magicians are awful at taking criticism. Anyone who provides a critical voice is immediately labeled the enemy, someone to be destroyed. It's much easier than thinking or admitting that you made a mistake. The human brain is very good at convincing you that you're a sly dog. Too bad it's usually lying to you.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Hence why I added in parentheses, "people in general." Point is, magicians are awful at taking criticism. Anyone who provides a critical voice is immediately labeled the enemy, someone to be destroyed. It's much easier than thinking or admitting that you made a mistake. The human brain is very good at convincing you that you're a sly dog. Too bad it's usually lying to you.

I didn't label you the enemy because of your critism, because to be honest, I wouldn't agree with him doing something like that for prom. But you took it to the harassment level, and you haven't stopped. So, should we label you the enemy because you won't stop your beratement?

Sep 1, 2007
I didn't label you the enemy because of your critism, because to be honest, I wouldn't agree with him doing something like that for prom. But you took it to the harassment level, and you haven't stopped. So, should we label you the enemy because you won't stop your beratement?

Okay, first of all, I don't think there's anything I could possibly say that you wouldn't call harrassment. So why stop now? I'd prefer to see this nonsense through on my own terms. If I'm going to be called the bad guy, then I might as well deserve it. Hell, I wasn't even being particularly antagonistic at first, but if you want to treat me like the bad guy, don't be surprised when I decide to stop going easy on you.

Second, if you disagreed as well, why didn't you say so? Other people have said as much. It is your right and your place to do so. The whole point of a discussion board is (durr-hey!!) discussion. Ideas must be weighed on their merit or lack thereof.

I am well aware at this point that RK is not going to listen to mine or anyone else's dissenting or contrary opinion. He's pretty married to this idea and he's not going to change his mind even for people who's opinions he values and respects. That doesn't mean these things shouldn't be said.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Okay, first of all, I don't think there's anything I could possibly say that you wouldn't call harrassment. So why stop now? I'd prefer to see this nonsense through on my own terms. If I'm going to be called the bad guy, then I might as well deserve it. Hell, I wasn't even being particularly antagonistic at first, but if you want to treat me like the bad guy, don't be surprised when I decide to stop going easy on you.

Second, if you disagreed as well, why didn't you say so? Other people have said as much. It is your right and your place to do so. The whole point of a discussion board is (durr-hey!!) discussion. Ideas must be weighed on their merit or lack thereof.

I am well aware at this point that RK is not going to listen to mine or anyone else's dissenting or contrary opinion. He's pretty married to this idea and he's not going to change his mind even for people who's opinions he values and respects. That doesn't mean these things shouldn't be said.

You continue to prove my point. When someone asks you to stop, and you won't, that is harrassment. And I didn't say anything because his mind is set and it is his style. But keep acting like a twelve year-old, and I will start speaking to you and treating you like one.

Sep 1, 2007
You continue to prove my point. When someone asks you to stop, and you won't, that is harrassment. And I didn't say anything because his mind is set and it is his style. But keep acting like a twelve year-old, and I will start speaking to you and treating you like one.

To repeat, absolutely nothing I can say that you wouldn't take as harrassment. And for the record, I do not accept, "That's just my style," as an excuse because it's fallacious thinking. Dissent needs to be voiced.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
When someone asks you to stop, and you won't, that is harrassment.

According to what? What definition of harassment are you using? What kind of harassment are you referring to?

If you don't even know how to spell the word properly, or won't even cite anything to substantiate your claim, you should probably just stop.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
According to what? What definition of harassment are you using? What kind of harassment are you referring to?

If you don't even know how to spell the word properly, or won't even cite anything to substantiate your claim, you should probably just stop.

HA! You just hit me because of typo! You have got to be kidding me. To entertain your wondrous debate here:

Harassment-to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.

Check my first post and you will see that it was spelled correctly if you don't believe the typo comment. Ask any cop if that would be considered harassment, and he will tell you yes. Is there anything else you would like to know about the definition of harassment, because you obviously didn't check your own definitions.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Yeah, a cop would totally bring me up on misdemeanor charges for everything I've done here in this thread. :rolleyes:

Now your little 2 year old mind is putting words into my mouth. That is fine, because unlike a two year old, I can accept it when people don't agree with me. I just said that he would agree with me, because I would never bring you in because of that. Oh, that's right, did I mention that I was a cop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Now your little 2 year old mind is putting words into my mouth. That is fine, because unlike a two year old, I can accept it when people don't agree with me. I just said that he would agree with me, because I would never bring you in because of that. Oh, that's right, did I mention that I was a cop?

See, this always happens. Everyone likes to talk about how much more mature they are than me, and then the name calling starts. You forfeit the moral high ground by talking like that. Don't bull**** a bull****ter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
See, this always happens. Everyone likes to talk about how much more mature they are than me, and then the name calling starts. You forfeit the moral high ground by talking like that. Don't bull**** a bull****ter.

Oh no, I gave you a fair warning about how I will treat you. I am only talking to you like you are acting. If you went your own way, like we asked many times, we would have left you alone. You had the option to act mature, but you chose the route of the child. And there is no bull in what I said. Are you ready to grow up yet?

Sep 1, 2007
Cheesy as hell.....Just do Hundy 500 and good things will happen...

At least someone has a sense of humor in all this horse hockey.

Oh no, I gave you a fair warning about how I will treat you. I am only talking to you like you are acting.

Yeah, yeah, same old song and dance. Heard it a million times before. Thing is, I've been called worse for less. I just find it ironic that anyone thinks this kind of juvenile one-up-manship is going to cowl me.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
At least someone has a sense of humor in all this horse hockey.

Yeah, yeah, same old song and dance. Heard it a million times before. Thing is, I've been called worse for less. I just find it ironic that anyone thinks this kind of juvenile one-up-manship is going to cowl me.

I find it ironic that you still think what you are doing is cool, acceptable, or a way you should act. You talked about people not being able to accept criticism, but you are the king of hypocrites. You have failed at your own preachings. Good night naive one. You will learn nothing.

Sep 1, 2007
There's a lot of love in this thread. Anyone else getting a little misty eyed thinking about it?

I find it ironic that you still think what you are doing is cool, acceptable, or a way you should act.

No to the first two, meh to the third. I'm actually quite surprised by what the staff lets me get away with, and I'm still not sure why they do it.

Redi, sleep on it. Come the morning, I'm sure you'll realize that you're not my father. And that's why this tactic of yours of trying to belittle me into shutting up isn't working. If you have anything else to say to me, you can take it to PM. We've done enough damage here as it is.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I usually don't agree with Steer... well, that's a lie, I usually do, but we always butt heads anyway. But in this case, he is spot on. Sometimes outspoken to the point of wanting to fly home just to punh him in the face. But at the end of the day, he knows what he is talking about and his posts are worth digging through the trash to find the good stuff. RK would be wise, as would everyone else, to heed his words on the topic.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I usually don't agree with Steer... well, that's a lie, I usually do, but we always butt heads anyway. But in this case, he is spot on. Sometimes outspoken to the point of wanting to fly home just to punh him in the face. But at the end of the day, he knows what he is talking about and his posts are worth digging through the trash to find the good stuff. RK would be wise, as would everyone else, to heed his words on the topic.

Good thoughts. I just wish that next time Steer uses less trash and more diplomatic methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results