Ben Earl on Penn and Teller's "Fool Us"

Dec 12, 2009
www.asadchaudhry.com
If you guys haven't seen the show yet check out the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97b2qCVBykI

I think what Ben Earl did was absolutely brilliant and courageous! The balls on this guy... to locate the aces from a borrowed shuffled deck in a very short amount of time in front of a live audience and national television. Sent chills up my spine.The most inspiring piece of card work I have seen in a long time!

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Sure the routine were amazing from a technical poit of view. But i did not find it really entertaining. Sorry.

But Ben Earl is great.

Jul 13, 2010
I agree. Very good nerves and Ben Earl is extremely talented.
I enjoyed Michael Vincent`s performance more, although he didn´t fool them.
He was the most entertaining of all participants IMO.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Bill Malone did the exact same effect years ago on TV and I know Darwin Ortiz has an effect that is pretty much the same thing as well. So it's not really THAT great of an effect.

Dec 12, 2009
www.asadchaudhry.com
Bill Malone did the exact same effect years ago on TV and I know Darwin Ortiz has an effect that is pretty much the same thing as well. So it's not really THAT great of an effect.

Every card magician in the world does an ace production effect. Just because other magicians have done the same effect doesn't make it any less. It wasn't the effect that was fresh and exciting, it was his method. First time I have seen it done in that manner.

Jul 13, 2010
It was a demonstration of skill rather than giving me that magic feeling. Seeing Bill Malone dong his Scarne Aces was more magical, because he didn´t represent it that way. In Earl´s presentation the looking for the positions of the cards alone demystified the whole effect and set it up as a demonstration of pure card handling skill. Wasn´t less impressive, but it didn´t feel like magic to me (from an audience´s point of view).
As Penn said he acted like someone who can do everything with a deck of cards.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 17, 2011
themagicnetwork.com
Indeed... I think Ben's presentation purposely didn't present something magical... he wasn't aiming to be magical, he was aiming to fool P&T... and by doing this effect with pure skill he totally threw them off and fooled them, because they were expecting him to use sleights or "traditional magic"

Jul 13, 2009
am i the only one, or did ben looked kinda pissed when penn mentioned the false shuffle?....maybe just me

Why are you pissed? I am not pissed but I do believe you are one of the minorities of people who were actually angered by the show in some way.

Feb 4, 2008
Huh?....he didn't say he was pissed....he said he thought Ben Earl "looked" pissed. I would say there was a moment where Earl looked defensive. I would have been too. Miscalling a series of peeks and riffle culls and stacks for a False shuffle may seem like a small point but I know that I, who have only been working with some of those techniques for the last few months, am much more proud of those accomplishments than some false shuffles I know and execute flawlessly.

Jan 18, 2011
Why are you pissed? I am not pissed but I do believe you are one of the minorities of people who were actually angered by the show in some way.

hmm...where in my post did i say i was pissed? maybe you should reread it before jumping to conclusions. anyway, i was caught off guard when penn asked if a false shuffle was involved(im sure Ben Earl was as well), in front of a studio audience, granted, maybe some of them were not familiar the term "false shuffle". i was waiting for what penn was going to mention about MIchael Vincent's performance, but he played that one well.

Feb 6, 2009
I'm Sorry but John archer was the real star of the show, brilliant routine that was entertaining to all plus he fooled them with a routine hes released on dvd. kudos to the man big time :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results