Best Practices for practicing the second deal

Jun 27, 2023
I'm working on a push-off second. What's the best way to practice this. Would you recommend getting a decent handle on the push-off before starting to practice the timing and the take? Or should you try to practice all of these things from the get go. Or maybe start practicing the take as soon as you can push off two cards in any capacity?

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Jun 29, 2023
  1. Master the Push-Off: Begin by practicing and refining your push-off technique. Focus on smoothly and cleanly pushing off two cards from the top of the deck while maintaining control and cover. Ensure that your push-off is consistent and comfortable.
  2. Timing and Rhythm: Once you have a solid grasp of the push-off, start working on the timing and rhythm of the move. Practice coordinating the push-off with the desired moment of taking the second card. This involves developing a sense of timing, control, and smoothness in executing the move.
  3. Incorporate the Take: Once you are comfortable with the push-off and have a sense of timing, start incorporating the take of the second card into your practice. Work on smoothly and seamlessly acquiring the second card from the push-off position, ensuring that it appears as if it is the top card.
  4. Practice in Context: As you progress, it's essential to practice the push-off second in various contexts, such as during card routines or in conjunction with other sleights. This will help you integrate the move naturally into your overall performance and build confidence in executing it smoothly and convincingly

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Don't over think it.

Once you can reliably get a good push off, just start trying to do consecutive second deals through the whole deck. Don't worry about the speed, just do the move slowly over and over.

Once you're going through the whole deck without missing any deals, start speeding up to a normal dealing speed.

Once you can second deal through the deck smoothly, start switching it up with legit deals. As in, straight deal to the left, second deal to the right, all the way through the deck.

Once you can do that smoothly, start dealing into positions around a table. Pick one spot to second deal, straight deal the rest of the spots.

The key to a deceptive second deal isn't so much the move itself, it's being able to do it within context so it doesn't seem like something someone should pay attention to - to that end, the best piece of advice I've ever heard for false dealing: Make your seconds look like straight deals, but also make your straight deals look like seconds.

Note - this format works for any false deals and when practicing making all the deals smooth it's a good idea to do all false and straight deals you know in rhythm to make sure they're all smooth and similar. Some people use a metronome for this.

I appreciate you asking questions about your endeavors. Always ask when you need help. That's what this community here is for.

I do suggest that you practice the push off first before you try to put things together. You'll often find that after about 20 minutes of intensive study, you will see notable progress. Then practice the take.

Personally, I like to take things one step at a time. That helps me put everything together because I'm building up the technique systematically and foundationally.

Hope this helps! Would love to see your progress if you don't mind sharing in the future.

Aug 11, 2023
Begin by practicing the push-off itself. Focus on making the top card extend slightly over the deck while using your thumb to push off the second card. Practice until you can do this smoothly and consistently without exposing the second card or creating suspicion. Popeyes Guest Experience Survey

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results