Birthday Party Payment

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys i am going to start to birthdays partys... i need to save up for the magic con, anyway i was wondering how much i should price the show at, its going to around 30-40 minutes long... i know i dont want it to be really long becuase kids can get bored after 30 minutes.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
How old are the people? What kind of magic are you doing?

If it was like a little kid's party, I'd charge about 50 bucks if this is your first show. Now if it's your thousandth and it's for a more advanced crowd, around 100 should do. But that's just a guess, don't take it as word. Let someone with more experience tell you. I'm just suggesting.

Ian

Sep 6, 2009
USA
It really depends on what your local market will support, but I would say at least a $100.00 and probably no more then $200.00 especially if you are new to the birthday market.

Anymore information you can provide us with will help us better value your show.

How long have you been doing magic? How old are you? what do you perform?

Hey guys i am going to start to birthdays partys... i need to save up for the magic con, anyway i was wondering how much i should price the show at, its going to around 30-40 minutes long... i know i dont want it to be really long becuase kids can get bored after 30 minutes.

Assuming you've got a show with enough material that is visual, funny, and good for any age then I'd say no more than $200 for the hour/event/ show

Most parents won't pay more than $150 to $200 for a kids magician anyways.

Most of your money made will be from getting other bookings from the shows that you do. So bring business cards and a date planner with you.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Dude, if you really picked your material right, then the kids should not be bored after 30 minutes. At 30 minutes, they should be begging for more magic.

Kids shows are quite complicated believe it or not, it's not like your average close up show. None of the traditional tricks and presentations will work for kids. Your main goal is to make kids laugh and have fun. This means reworking all your patter to achieve that goal. I may also be necessary to make some faces, talk in a goofy accent, and so on.

I've decided to hold off on kid shows for a while because it's in a whole nother realm of magic. So be sure you have a good entertaining routine planned out if you're gonna charge lots of money for it.

Around 10 you say?

If you want to succeed, then I recomend highly visual, and comedic acts. Kids don't really go for the double handed backwards slide, half helix mule kick to the crotch card sleights. They love topsy turvey bottles, and bra from handkerchiefs though!

Build a show around comedy, and visual magic and you'll do fine. Sponge balls or sponge rabbits are also a strong hit. Rope magic usually plays well. And animals. I know of a magician who, when taking the stage, the first thing he does is puts a big brown floppy eared rabbit on stage with him. He NEVER does anything with the rabbit. It just sits there, and the kids LOVE it!

LoL I'd be lying if I said that I haven't considered it. However I'm not usually the first person parents come running to when it's time to schedule their kids party entertainment.

....though I do offer a free thearopy session afterwords.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I remember listening to a podcast about being a professional magician ( I want to say it was Rich Ferguson but I'm not certain). One point he made though that I think is relevant here is you want to know what other magicians are charging and stay in that range. If the client does their homework and calls a few places for prices that are all 80~100 per show and you are charging 40 its going to make you look inferior and unprofessional. It won't add up for you to be offering the same quality service for half the price everyone else charges. If they do take you seriously then it makes all the other magicians look like price-gouging scoundrels which isn't fair to them at all. Since you are younger and new to that type of performing just price yourself on the low end of that scale.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I've done about 10 kids birthday parties and I normally charge $125. That gives them a 35-40 min. show and then 20 minutes for me to do balloon animals at the end for each and every child.

Keep in mind though, I am 31 years old and have about 10 years of magic experience. I only starting doing paid gigs about a year and a half ago though.

You will definitely want to have plenty of business cards with you. Every parent normally comes up afterward and wants one or two. I give them 2. One for them and one for a friend who was not at the party.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results