Brainstorm - 1 Year in the making...

Mar 13, 2009
Sorry

Sorry guys, here's to clear a few things up.
The leaf is in no way a "substitute" for paper, as the PIGMENTATION of the signed and examined leaf changes. Paper would look just plain cheap...
About the paper clip, it is in no way necessary when performing this trick. It is used solely as a means of keeping the leaf from springing open prematurely, thus spoiling the climax, and is used in one of the 12 ways of performing this effect. I now realise that including the paperclip explaination in the description was unnecessary, and will edit it out to try to convey the pure raw nature of this effect
About the cards, again, the leaf is NOT a substitute for paper in a cheap card trick. The reason why I included the card version in the description, well I don't really know. It can be used in many mentalism effects which I use, where the leafd is just picked up off the ground, signed and examined, folded and placed in the spectators hand, then they name a random number, and the Pigmentation changes to reveal the number, which has never been said out loud. The reason why I use cards is that it hits hard on the younger population that I perform for and I explain that magicians often create miracles that defy physics and nature through the usage of everyday objects, such as cards and coins. This gives me a reason to use cards, though they are definately not necessary.
The reveal can be used in many Mentalism effects, including predicting the date of a spectators coin, or as mentioned above, in a card revelation routine.
What I love about the effect is that you start and end clean, with absolute 0 angle issues, and the raw nature of the effect, especially the Mentalism routines :)
Now, about the Red Sea effect, I belive someone made a comment about emptying water into someone elses bottle? Sorry if i wasn't too clear, but you empty a portion of the spectators water ONTO THE GROUND, then do the effect.
Again, i'm sorry for the misunderstandings, and if you want to ask any questions, please feel free too :)
SHANE BLACK- Your effect sounds amazing, can't wait :)

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I'm sorry, but anybody who says that the leaf is just a cheap substitute for paper, surely that would also apply to, say, Stigmata? Same thing really; a reveal appears written in an impossible place in an impossible way. So can we all try to be a little more positive?

Mar 13, 2009
I'm sorry, but anybody who says that the leaf is just a cheap substitute for paper, surely that would also apply to, say, Stigmata? Same thing really; a reveal appears written in an impossible place in an impossible way. So can we all try to be a little more positive?

Exactly :)

Aug 31, 2007

That is true, was thinking the same thing. Not directing this statement to anyone in specific, but I think some of people here need to open up their possibilities when performing or creating. Do not limit yourself (for example paper).

Not to diss anyone but the last time I checked, a leaf is part of nature. I think the leaf revelation is a great idea. :)

That is true, was thinking the same thing. Not directing this statement to anyone in specific, but I think some of people here need to open up their possibilities when performing or creating. Do not limit yourself (for example paper).

Not to diss anyone but the last time I checked, a leaf is part of nature. I think the leaf revelation is a great idea. :)

yeah but the cards or the mentalism IS NOT related in anyway to nature. The only truly good piece of magic ive ever seen with a leaf that was completely naturefied was leaf by paul harris. In it he pulls a leaf off the ground and puts it back on the plant!! And the leaf is signed.

With his leaf effect, he writes on the leaf, he pulls some cards out, he folds the leaf up, i dont see nature anywhere in that trick. Oh sure the pigmentation thing could be nature, but when you add all the other elements, its just another prediction trick.

Mar 12, 2009

I was thinking the excact same thing.

visualartist must have very very few effects in his reppetoire (sp?), if it is "against his rules" to have both cards and a different object (in this case a leaf) in the same effect.
Look at his first post also. He just starts out with saying (actually that is the only thing he says) that the effect doesn't sound interesting. I mean what the hell?! He has absolutely no clue what the effect looks like, or how it is accomplished, and he comes here with his "oh I'm too good for you, because I'm a visualartist"-attitude (lol), he says nothing about the other effects. I mean wow, if that is not called ignorance, I sure do not know what that word means.

Jul 13, 2009
Presentation

Okay so I understand what leaf is about now, the way i would present it is as such, (also a note I already perform a similar effect so if you like this presentation you may use it I do not mind.)

"Hey may I bother you for a moment, it is kind of an idea I had do you mind if I show you this idea?" If the answer is yes then good if no, moving on. "Have you heard that all living creatures are interconnected. If you talk to a plant they grow better and feel better, you see plants have feelings. Here come let me show you, (Walks over to a leafy bush) What I want you to do is merely think of a drink, there are thousands out there so let me give you some suggestions. *Lists some drinks* Have you chosen one of those? Yes, great please greet the plant and shake one of its leaves. *I influence there choice but whatever, a leaf is being held by their hands and now one is the wiser.*

Great now what I want you to do is just think about the drink you have in mind, feel it as you sip it. Just imagine it harder and harder still, can you taste the drink?
See we need liquid to survive like plants and plants are great at picking up feelings. What was the drink that you had in mind? *they say something like cola* I say would you look at the leaf, *which they do and find that in scribed on the leaf is the word "Coke"* I say you should talk to plants more often, your a natural. PUN If you actually find this useful and you decide to do it just make sure you include the word Silver somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 13, 2009
Ok guys, well lets stop all this negative attitude, how about just asking questions about the effects? :)
You guys haven't asked much about STARDUST or RED SEA.

Cheers

Jul 13, 2009
Stardust how well would it play with a crowd of 20 and does it require one of these, Scroll down a bit past the volcano pictures.

I was being sarcastic by the way, but my real question was the earlier. I know you said one on one but about how big would you reccomend, and the angles?

Also if you do release this think about the wave of negative reviews and questions a preparation to what may come in the future.

Cheers,
Silverfang

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I was thinking the excact same thing.

visualartist must have very very few effects in his reppetoire (sp?), if it is "against his rules" to have both cards and a different object (in this case a leaf) in the same effect.
Look at his first post also. He just starts out with saying (actually that is the only thing he says) that the effect doesn't sound interesting. I mean what the hell?! He has absolutely no clue what the effect looks like, or how it is accomplished, and he comes here with his "oh I'm too good for you, because I'm a visualartist"-attitude (lol), he says nothing about the other effects. I mean wow, if that is not called ignorance, I sure do not know what that word means.

You know nothing of my effects and work,dont assume things out of anger.
You quoted me in that I said "it doesnt sound interesting" SOUND being the key word.Through reading the effect description. Its not about ignorance at all,learn how to use words.

he says nothing about the other effects
Why should I if I have nothing to say or any questions about them?

Mar 13, 2009
Please stop

Guys can we please stop the bickering and focus on the point of this thread?
If you want to post QUESTIONS or COMMENTS please feel free to do so.
Oh, by the way, I have already had 4 companies approach me regarding marketing these tricks, so I'm happy :)

I have not yet chosen whether I will market them, just letting you guys know whats going on :)

Cheers

Sheesh this guy.
The effect had nothing to do with the nature of the leaf. Your example of walking in a park and using the leaf as a replacement for paper is just that. It has nothing to do with nature or the leaf. Its a card effect. The leaf wouldnt make sense at all if your doing a card trick.which is what that is.
If he took the leaf and did something with it (or like my effect where I grow a plant from soil cupped in my hands)THAT is nature magic.
Here,the leaf is a substitute for paper.

Yeah he's complaining about paper not being natural in the woods and all. Well how natural is it to have a deck of cards in the woods? Unless you're camping out, playing poker or something.

Jul 13, 2009
I actually had a legit question do you mind answering it?
Also Congrats on the success, I certainly hope you are not skipping over this and deaming it as a negative post.

Mar 13, 2009
Stardust how well would it play with a crowd of 20 and does it require one of these, Scroll down a bit past the volcano pictures.

I was being sarcastic by the way, but my real question was the earlier. I know you said one on one but about how big would you reccomend, and the angles?

Also if you do release this think about the wave of negative reviews and questions a preparation to what may come in the future.

Cheers,
Silverfang

AHH, you got me :p Yes it ... may... contain dark matter... lol

But seriously, you can perfrom Stardust for a maximum of around 15-20 people.
But honestly, I tend to slim that number down to about 3 at the most, as it's an extremely intimate effect, just life Life (Daniel Garcia) for example.
That's why I didn't go into too much detail in the description, as I would like you to imagine what it would look like, rather than being told.
This may sound stupid, but I am not trying to sell you the effect, so I just want you to imagine :)

The angles are 360 degrees, which is why i love it :)
I usually stand right next to the spectators though, rather than in a circle, just so that it makes it easier to frame a star with my hands and them to spot it, so i know if they can see or not.

About Leaf, I some of you talking about the card version not being practical in the woods.
Who the F performs for people in the woods? lol
Imagine if some stranger came up to you on the streets, and insisted they lead you into the woods so that they could "show you something awesome"...
I'd be pretty creeped out :)
You must not have read my earlier post, as I stated it can be incorporated into many mentalism effects, which make it look a lot more pure and raw. You do NOT need cards at all. I personally mostly use it in my Mentalism act, but it's up to you.
By the way, I think i also mentioned that you can pick the leaf up OFF THE STREETS, for example in a gutter or bin, as well as if you are for some reason performing in the woods.

This effect is totally Impromtu, I probably show have mentioned that earlier...
Sorry for the inconveniance :)

Cheers

Mar 13, 2009
Artists

I was wondering whether one of the Theory11 Artists could give me some feed back on the description of the tricks, and give their view on whether they believe they are original/ fresh or whatever they are looking for.
I'd just like some feedback, that's all :)

Thanks guys :)

Sep 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure most of you here that are bashing on the trick can't make any tricks like these anyways and most your points are just stupid and ignorant.

I think the ideas are great, I would love the 3rd one most of all.

Oct 13, 2008
I htink all 3 effects sound great. The leaf effect sounds the weakest of the bunch, but thats in no way saying its bad.

I hope you find a way to get these tricks out there, even if its just in a downloadable e-book. I for one would love to have them in my repertoire.

Mar 12, 2008
Very cool effects!
It would be awesome to see a preformance of them, but i guess you want to keep em to yourself.
Ah well, good job dude!

Jul 13, 2009
So did this ever happen, I mean did you find a publisher? I still have a sparked intrest in the parting the seas trick and am just checking in.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results