Bringing People to Jesus through Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
The only gospel routine that I use is using slush powder. (I learned this at a church children's Sunday school convention)
(I assume this isn't really exposure because it is obvious what slush powder does...)

You need:
2 clear plastic cups and 1 Styrofoam cup
Some slush powder
Some red and black food coloring
A pencil/pen

Prep:
a few drops of red food coloring in one clear cup -(they cant's see this from a few feet away)
slush powder in the Styrofoam cup
Water in the other clear cup

The show:
You present the cup of clear water as mankind, or us as individuals

You talk about how sin entered the world and marred the human soul/relationship with God. (as you do this you drop black food coloring into the waterYou can also talk about how it only takes 1 sin to be enough to mar us, but we haven't stopped at one etc.

You then introduce God's plan of sending his son to be the savior of the world and that He shed his blood to cover our sin. As you talk about Jesus you pour the murky water into the other clear cup - it all turns red!

You then explain about repentance and accepting this gift that is freely offered to us. You can then talk about how when we accept this gift and repent and believe, our sins are washed away and are gone! As you say this, you pour the red water into the Styrofoam cup. They assume you just mean that they cant see it, then you say - "totally gone!" and turn the cup over

You can at this point crumple the top of the cup, or as I prefer, stick a pencil through the cup and turn it upside down.

Although be careful and make sure you use a styrofoam cup. I did this once with one of those colored plastic cups and the water came out like a can of mushroom soup and landed on the table. Funny stuff. It made for a good laugh and I just talked about how God was so much better at getting rid of our sins for real. Heh heh.

Hope you enjoy it!

j

Thanks for that!!
I will have to keep that in mind.

Thanks again jt.

~jordan

Aug 31, 2007
Ok im not gonna involve myself in this topic but one thing i'd like to say is that there is not one sole true thing when it comes to religion and beliefs...

Everyone is different and many cultures etc have there own gods and spirits etc

How can one be right over the other?
They can't as to each individual what they believe in is true

Also the Greek gods were around before most and so who's to say they're not the one sole truth???

I know this is not exactly on topic, but I just had this urge to say my piece

I accept everyone's different beliefs and don't look down on anyone for what they believe... I mean who's to say there's not truth in them all... or maybe no truth at all??

I don't feel anyone should feel bad about performing magic, it's a gift and a wonderful thing to give people the experience of true wonder and amazement

Anyway that's all from me... don't take anything personally as I was just sharing my thoughts

;)

Hey,
I just wanted to throw this out, and in now way do I mean this in an angered argumentative way. Please understand that.

Saying what you did is very contradicting. "i'd like to say is that there is not one sole true thing when it comes to religion and beliefs..." You are saying that there are no sole truths, essentially, no absolutes, well your statement of no absolutes is in itself an absolute. You are claiming that the statement of "there are no truths" is in fact a truth. Do you see the dilemma? Your claiming a "truth" about there being "no truth". That can't be. There has to be truth in life. A truth that is not based upon our own opinions, a truth that exist regardless of what we say or believe about it. For example, gravity is a truth, a scientific law. It pulls thing down towards earth. Do you think that if you and I decide gravity should no longer pull down but instead should push up, will it happen? Will we all be looking like Criss Angel (minus the editing...)? Of course not, what ever you or I "decide" does not change truth. A vote, an opinion, a preference, even a state law, can't and won't ever change a fact about the truth. Just some thoughts..... God Bless!

Sep 1, 2007
Actually, gravity is a fundamental force causing any objects with mass to attract toward each other...but yeah, close enough for a layperson I guess!

However.

That's not really, I think, the point that the poster was trying to communicate. No truth at all...in what people believe strikes me as the meaning of the phrase in question - and you certainly can make a true statement about the lack of truth within a defined framework. Y2John actually makes some good points, which you have misinterpreted. Personally though, rhetorical waffling just makes me yawn.

One of the questions I have asked my wife before (a very Christian woman) is how does she know that her faith is the right one? What distinguishes her from all the other "true believers" who believe something different?

I have never heard a satisfactory answer to that question, and I firmly believe that I never will. Because, after all, religious belief deals in large part with the unknowable - you just have to have faith. And I'm not afraid to admit this either - faith, in this supposed age of rationality, also makes me yawn.

Cheers,
David

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
One of the questions I have asked my wife before (a very Christian woman) is how does she know that her faith is the right one? What distinguishes her from all the other "true believers" who believe something different?

Great question.
I have always wondered about this.
And me being a very open guy.
I think its ones faith that lets them thing their belief is the right one.
I have faith in my god, I have faith in my religion.

And you know what? You have a god regardless of your religion.. Awesome! At least you believe there is a someone upstairs so to speak.

So my answer or possible answer to your question is..

We may never know which religion is the right one, and so we have to let our faith guide us.

Am i making sense?

Or am i just rambling now?

~jordan

Sep 1, 2007
Similar to her reply. God recognises faith, even if it isn't exactly spot on (like all the other people!).

Points for effort, style of thing.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Similar to her reply. God recognises faith, even if it isn't exactly spot on (like all the other people!).

Points for effort, style of thing.

Yeah thats what i believe.

Anyway we got off topic =P

Personally, I think it can be difficult and controversial to brink maic into religion sometimes.

~jordan

Sep 1, 2007
People want to mix their interests. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I run a dance company, and I do magic. I also teach maths and physics, and run a martial arts school.

Can you imagine what would happen if I tried to combine all of that!?

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
People want to mix their interests. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I run a dance company, and I do magic. I also teach maths and physics, and run a martial arts school.

Can you imagine what would happen if I tried to combine all of that!?

Man..

Disproove the principles of science while swing dancing using magic, And then after doing that..

And they ask you how you did it.

You can say your a ninja.

not that hard to imagine =P

~Jordan

Aug 31, 2007
First I would like to thank everyone for complying with my request. I think for the most part we have been staying on track and seem to be doing a great job getting back on track when posts start to get off topic a little.

I want to talk about something that I feel is a really big issue. The bible tells us that every is born with the light within them. What this means is that he gives everyone a conscience and gives everyone the sense of seeking. This means that there is something inside of all of us that draws us to him and we have a sense of right and wrong. So for the most part everyone at a point in time in their lives are seeking for a Truth.. For God. Now what usually is that need either gets filled by a religion or another spiritual belief because of other influences and/or even someones on ideology(Idolatry). But the funny things is that almost everyone that we witness to(as long as we are using a biblical method and God Words) that is rational will be receptive. There are some people out there that believe in God, they know that He is there but they have a grudge with him because of either how their lives are, a lost of a loved one, their experience with self-proclaimed Christians or Christians who do not have a clear understanding of the scripture. What is the root issue here? I think that we can sum it up with one question that we area always asked, " How can God let all these bad things happen?".

How do deal with these situations where someone does has beef with God and does not understand suffering?

How do we explain the sovereignty of God.

How can we explain how much that God really loves all but at the same time is just.

I wonder what effects I could use to make and attempt to give a visual explanation.

I wonder should even even try too use the magic at all as a visual explanation or show we just use it as a ice breaker to get their attention then after a small performance we talk to them a few minutes.

What I would like to do is combine these two methods, Maybe do the effect that could be a visual explanation then refer back to that effect when you start sharing the Gospel.

What are your thoughts on this?

Aug 31, 2007
Once again, I just wanted to thank my Brothers and Sisters in Christ along with everyone else who is interested in this topic and a constructive discussion for complying with my requests and staying on topic. I would also like to thank you guys for not responding to anyone or any comments that are off topic, that may be offensive, or may be immature.

I would also like to thank those who are not interested or do not have anything constructive to add to the discussion for your maturity in saving your off topic comments and/or opinions and in recognizing that this is not a thread for debates or attacks or putting your 2 cents in. Thank you.

God Bless

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Hey guys I am going to have an open forum on skype to discuss this very topic. As a small group pastor and pro. magician i might be able to share some things..just maybe.

If you want on this disscussion you need to have a mic/speakers. E-mail me at jmille38@insight.rr.com for further details and time.

Justin N. Miller

Oh wow thanks Justin.
I need to get a mic though *been really busy lately.*

Cool stuff.

~Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
ANY beliefsystem is as deceiptful as magic itself in my opinion. Don't trick these poor lay people more than necessary.

No offence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results