"Can you show me a trick?"

Sep 7, 2008
When someone asks me to show them a trick, my usual response indicates that I'll do something later for a larger group. I get a lot of people who ask at parties and such, and the easiest way is to perform once for anyone who cares to watch. Because of this, I go to one (or more) of about 10 card tricks that I've practiced and perfected with a borrowed deck. Try not to become a magic monkey that performs whenever someone asks. Magic is special, so you have to treat it that way. I make my magic a performance.

I'd agree with jprace, don't be a magic monkey. If you ever perform for someone, especially if they're a stranger. Only do about two or three effects. And then let them know thats all you are going to show them for the moment. You can't claim to be performing "miricals" and then whack out 10 of them in a row.

Wow!! I have never thought about that!! I always felt that is was obvious and natural to show a card trick...but I realize magic should not be obvious or natural...

Ha, clever ¬_¬'

The only reason they asked you in the first place is because they saw the cards...If you are going to give in at least deliver and do the card trick...

Simple answer, no. I don't have to pander to their EVERY need. They wanted to see a card trick, but instead I showed them something that is, in my opinion more powerful and managed to get each one of them very involved. (Once again if you know how the effect works you will understand better). I'm not saying that there is no card effect that would have been better, but in that instance I feel I went beyond their expectations by doing something different.

JL

Last edited by a moderator:

CalvinTan

Elite Member
If you don't feel like doing anything, I wouldn't tell the person to F off. Be more respectful. Say something like:

"I'm not really working right now, but because you seem like a nice guy, I'll show you something I've been working on."

Then proceed to do something quick and simple such as the ring thing. The cost is only 2 or 3 mins of your time, and you didn't get sucked into doing a whole routine. It's also quick so you won't draw a crowd and get sucked into performing for more strangers.

*If it's a female, I usually say - "because I like your outfit" - girls love it when you complement them on what they wear. They spend hours in the morning figuring out what to put on for the day.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I'd agree with jprace, don't be a magic monkey. If you ever perform for someone, especially if they're a stranger. Only do about two or three effects. And then let them know thats all you are going to show them for the moment. You can't claim to be performing "miricals" and then whack out 10 of them in a row.

Ha, clever ¬_¬'

Simple answer, no. I don't have to pander to their EVERY need. They wanted to see a card trick, but instead I showed them something that is, in my opinion more powerful and managed to get each one of them very involved. (Once again if you know how the effect works you will understand better). I'm not saying that there is no card effect that would have been better, but in that instance I feel I went beyond their expectations by doing something different.

JL

Ok...I didn´t say the second quote...I think it was Elite Prestidigation...not me...you should correct that!! I am not a pretentious and arrogant guy!!

Aug 4, 2010

JL

I said that...Don't you ever give credit to someone else for my posts....Is also pretty impressive that you managed to give a "simple answer" when no question was asked in my part....And I said that If you are going to give in at least deliver and do the card trick....Flawless logic..

@Luis Vega

I am actually humble/modest

Aug 17, 2010
This thread seems to be going off at a tangent...:) anyways was looking at the AOA aeries for those who have it what effect on there would you say would be best to perform?

Different strokes... any single effect can kill for one performer, and die for another. Find one that works well for you.

Ok...I didn´t say the second quote...I think it was Elite Prestidigation...not me...you should correct that!! I am not a pretentious and arrogant guy!!

My sincerest apologies. I hope you like my correction :)

and 'Elite Prestidigitation, you are far from "humble/modest" lol.

also Cushing0 your right this does seem to be going off on a tangent.

I always have a routine ready to perform whenever I go out
in case this situation happens to me.
There are some great tricks such as
Twisting the Aces,
Ego (In Daniel Garcia Project),
or some ambitious card routine that you can come up with!

Personally, I rarely take out my cards when Im out,
unless Im ready to perform.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Anyone who carries a deck everywhere they go should take 30 days where they only have access to cards when they're practicing at home. No cards anywhere else, unless someone else has some for you to borrow. You shouldn't stop performing, just stop using cards for one month. If it seems too long, go one week without them, it will help you as a performer and a person in the long run.

Dec 28, 2009
arkansas
i usually say ' ok ill show you a trick" and do a flip flop change routine itssimple and u cant realy mess up i also would reccomend youdo mabey clipshift or ego change nothin to big but if u got a group of 3 ppl and u making 4 and u r inside at a table or something do c3

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results