Card Controls

If these are things you are working on why did you post it them on Youtube? Unfortunately you are exposing a few really good controls.

As for advice you should just keep practicing. You have the moves down, now by sheer repetition you will develop the "nack" and timing.

Nov 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
If these are things you are working on why did you post it them on Youtube? Unfortunately you are exposing a few really good controls.

As for advice you should just keep practicing. You have the moves down, now by sheer repetition you will develop the "nack" and timing.

Well, to be honest, i feel kind of intimidated by the T11 media section because everyone there is so good. It would make my video look like crap :p

They arent really exposed. Only an idiot would try to learn from my video and will ultimately harm his/her own magic.

I can say you have the basic gist of it down just work on not being so choppy. So, when you do a sleight don't do it very rushed, try to be as natural as possible.

I'm also going to move this to the Card Magic Forum.

-RA69

I see where your coming from.

I just think maybe you should title to something really random so that people searching youtube specifically looking for card controls to "learn" won't come across these precious sleights and butcher them.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
The first control is pretty interesting, you performed it great.
But you need to work on your second control(man I forgot what the name of it was...) you used a break for it and that's what exposed it. Practice using without breaks... same thing with the Cascade control. You didn't really flash but you gave it away from your movements. Your Pass needs LOTS of work.

Sep 1, 2007
Your Ego Control: I thought it was very good, but maybe just a little too fast and sudden. I would practice with your angles so that you can slow it down a wee bit and still make it convincing. This is one of my favorite controls because it is so direct. Allow this directness to sink in more.

For the second control. I don't use it much, but it's a great way to maintain deck order while controlling a card (if I am thinking of the right one). Again, I'd just slow it down a bit. It just looked kind of "move-y."

Your invisible pass was quite good, in my opinion. I was a good speed and it looked like you were just playing with the cards. Good misdirection.

Your classic pass flashed a bit, which I find will generally be the case, but since it's such a fast move, you can just misdirect and do it. Just do it. Do it. Dooo it...

And a nice S-spread at the finish.

TRM

Sep 1, 2007
I liked the first 2, what are they called?
Um, and something that I noticed (don't know if it's just me) but you hesitated a bit on a couple of controls before actually controlling the card
Other than that (and the flash of the pass) I thought everything was great =)

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Your Ego Control: I thought it was very good, but maybe just a little too fast and sudden. I would practice with your angles so that you can slow it down a wee bit and still make it convincing. This is one of my favorite controls because it is so direct. Allow this directness to sink in more.

For the second control. I don't use it much, but it's a great way to maintain deck order while controlling a card (if I am thinking of the right one). Again, I'd just slow it down a bit. It just looked kind of "move-y."

Your invisible pass was quite good, in my opinion. I was a good speed and it looked like you were just playing with the cards. Good misdirection.

Your classic pass flashed a bit, which I find will generally be the case, but since it's such a fast move, you can just misdirect and do it. Just do it. Do it. Dooo it...

And a nice S-spread at the finish.
That wasn't an invisible pass... and that is the flaw in the second control, it is too overrated and people think that it is really deceptive but in reality it's not.

Sep 1, 2007
That wasn't an invisible pass... and that is the flaw in the second control, it is too overrated and people think that it is really deceptive but in reality it's not.

What, the third one? That's what it looked like to me. As for the second one, I don't use it, but in the event that you need to retain deck order and control a card, it works quite well. It's just extremely angle sensitive.

What, may I ask, do you think the third move was?

Oh, wait, a cascade? Was that it?

Jan 18, 2008
somewhere
the first two i dont even know? message me and teach me =]. but ur herman pass if thats wat u did was very good. s spread im still workn on myself. i cant get the tail =[

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
What, the third one? That's what it looked like to me. As for the second one, I don't use it, but in the event that you need to retain deck order and control a card, it works quite well. It's just extremely angle sensitive.

What, may I ask, do you think the third move was?

Oh, wait, a cascade? Was that it?

Well it looks like the Charlie Miller's cascade control, I however do not know the method of it but it he herman passed the card... and I'm not so sure myself if that is really the method.

The second control is at the tip of my tongue...

Hi Snoopy123, good work on getting as far as you have done with the controls. I understand that some of them are very difficult to grasp, but there are a few things I spotted that I believe you should work on.

1. Daniel Garcia's "Ego Slip":
What I noticed in your performance was that there was somewhat of a calm pace to it all. But as soon as you move to place the "selection" in the centre, the pace in which you move is doubled or even tripled. If you were really just placing their card in the middle, would you go lightening-fast about it? If you continue practicing and try and work out a more economical cover, you will find your Ego Slip far more convincing. All in all, with a correct right hand motion and natural cover, no matter if the move is performed at a snails pace; the control will not be flashed from the desired angle.

2. Olivier Macia's "Wow Control":
There is absolutely no need for the tapping before the shift is made. Instead, simply hover the packet over the cards and execute the control as the cards release from the right hand. Again, much like your 'Ego Slip' there is a drastic change in pace when the shift is executed. Please do take your time, and do not feel as though you will flash at any given moment. As it stands right now, you are flashing terribly -- not in a visual sense that you can see what is happening, but rather in that your spectator will think something is happening. When that occurs, it ruins the fun for them -- they're no longer enjoying the magic but instead trying to work out what is taking place before them.

3. Charlie Miller's "Cascade Control":
If this is identical to the Paul Chosse method of Miller's control, then I applaud you! I think you did fantastically well. However, I have a funny feeling that it is not, and seems to me like a variation of the "Wow Control" - with an added Waterfall Flourish to complete the manoeuvre. If I am wrong, please take it as a compliment. :) If I am correct in thinking that, do not take so much time before positioning the deck into the Waterfall position (or even setting the right hand pack "flush" on top for that matter), as it really tips that something is happening.

4. The "Riffle Pass":
There is far much to say regarding any person's performance of the Pass; including my own. From unnatural hand gestures, to blatant flashing - I have yet to see a Pass that looks like what it should be; nothing but a mere squaring of the deck.

In the end, I think it boils down more to psychological aspects than to the technical side of things - although a few (such as the Pass) could use some more work. Don't let my comments discourage you, but rather help you on your way to fantastic sleight of hand. :)

Warm regards,
Jordan

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Thank you everyone for all your help! I'll definitely practice until I master them :D

I was going to clarify the controls I use and etc, since a couple of you thought i was doing an invisible pass. However, Jordan did that before i could :eek:...and got ALL the details right...and Jordan, you are right about my "cascade control" also xP. Actually, I saw the actual control a while back and my friend and I were trying to figure out the method (we hadn't the slightest clue!). Then we eventually came up with a way to do it (this was before I learned the WOW control). Of course, we realized that it was not the same method as the actual cascade control, but it works alright- maybe a little angle sensitive however.

Angles are not your friends :(

Thanks again!

Hi Snoopy123, good work on getting as far as you have done with the controls. I understand that some of them are very difficult to grasp, but there are a few things I spotted that I believe you should work on.

1. Daniel Garcia's "Ego Slip":
What I noticed in your performance was that there was somewhat of a calm pace to it all. But as soon as you move to place the "selection" in the centre, the pace in which you move is doubled or even tripled. If you were really just placing their card in the middle, would you go lightening-fast about it? If you continue practicing and try and work out a more economical cover, you will find your Ego Slip far more convincing. All in all, with a correct right hand motion and natural cover, no matter if the move is performed at a snails pace; the control will not be flashed from the desired angle.

2. Olivier Macia's "Wow Control":
There is absolutely no need for the tapping before the shift is made. Instead, simply hover the packet over the cards and execute the control as the cards release from the right hand. Again, much like your 'Ego Slip' there is a drastic change in pace when the shift is executed. Please do take your time, and do not feel as though you will flash at any given moment. As it stands right now, you are flashing terribly -- not in a visual sense that you can see what is happening, but rather in that your spectator will think something is happening. When that occurs, it ruins the fun for them -- they're no longer enjoying the magic but instead trying to work out what is taking place before them.

3. Charlie Miller's "Cascade Control":
If this is identical to the Paul Chosse method of Miller's control, then I applaud you! I think you did fantastically well. However, I have a funny feeling that it is not, and seems to me like a variation of the "Wow Control" - with an added Waterfall Flourish to complete the manoeuvre. If I am wrong, please take it as a compliment. :) If I am correct in thinking that, do not take so much time before positioning the deck into the Waterfall position (or even setting the right hand pack "flush" on top for that matter), as it really tips that something is happening.

4. The "Riffle Pass":
There is far much to say regarding any person's performance of the Pass; including my own. From unnatural hand gestures, to blatant flashing - I have yet to see a Pass that looks like what it should be; nothing but a mere squaring of the deck.

In the end, I think it boils down more to psychological aspects than to the technical side of things - although a few (such as the Pass) could use some more work. Don't let my comments discourage you, but rather help you on your way to fantastic sleight of hand. :)

Warm regards,
Jordan

Does this pass meet your standards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GusduqfKcs8

If it doesn't, I don't know what will. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results