Card forces

Jan 31, 2011
I just created an amzingly cool and practical trick that requires the force of a card. While i do know quite a few forces and they are a basic necessity of card magic, all of the ones i know are eithervery blatant and obvious and i dont feel confident in using them for real spectators. Does anyone know some good forces that would be effective in a street magic setting.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
I just created an amzingly cool and practical trick that requires the force of a card. While i do know quite a few forces and they are a basic necessity of card magic, all of the ones i know are eithervery blatant and obvious and i dont feel confident in using them for real spectators. Does anyone know some good forces that would be effective in a street magic setting.

While some forces may seem obvious once you know how they work, to a spectator most of them probably will go unnoticed.

Jan 20, 2009
California
i sounds like you need to work more on your presentaion as well as the way you
handle the cards.by the way what forces do you already do?

Jan 31, 2011
The slip force wich i dont see being practicL at all, the only people i do it for is my family cuz i want them to give me yips anyway,and the one where you dribble down the edge of the deck and just lift off from a break above the force cardwich is pretty decent but i just want somethin new

Jan 20, 2009
California
these are both very good force's on the slip force, aldo colombini has a very good handlingg of
this force, i personaly use the classic force it will take some work but it is well worth it

Sep 9, 2010
Hindu Force, or Riffle Force, those are my most used forces, for the record, what is the effect you came up with? considering you seem to be somewhat new to magic, it could very well have been invented already, and you just don't yet know about it, if you do not want to say for fear of it being stolen, I completely understand.

Dec 11, 2010
California
Classic Force remains to be one of my favorite forces, but the hindu and the riffle force comes to a close second.

I use to be afraid and refused to use the riffle force when I was starting out (even though I am still fairly new) because I thought that it was too obvious and I have been burned before when I had used it. Now that I am more comfortable with the cards and talking with people, the riffle force has no longer become a problem for me.

As long as you are comfortable with the force and more important confident in yourself, I believe that you can use various forces without the spectator noticing.

Jan 31, 2011
Why is everyone saying that im new to magic. Ive been doing magic for 4 years. I merely wanted some advice on forces as i am not soley a card performer and most tricks that i perform dont use forces. I appreciate all the help though, i really do. And to theillusionist casen, the effect i made may have or may have not been done before but i came up with the idea wiout knowledge of any previous effects. The effect is that i show the homepage od my blackberry and the wallpaper is of a facedown card let the spectator hold it and select a *forced* card. When he looks back at the phone, the dard has flipped over and is the selection. I would be more than happy to tell anyone how i do it if they are interested and cannot figure it out on there own.

Why is everyone saying that im new to magic. Ive been doing magic for 4 years.

You're new. I've been doing it 15 years (since I was 10) and still only consider myself intermediate at best.

What's wrong with a good old riffle force? I use it all the time and no one has ever questioned it. If The force has to be from within a bunch of cards (e.g. if you were doing John Bannon's Triumph) then use a classic force.

Also, just to get it out there, I don't really like the slip force (Interesting fact: I thought I invented the slip force when I was younger, until I read it in RRTCM. That took the wind out of my sails). But I haven't ever seen a version that is both invisible and silent, with no dodgy handling. Though the best handlings I've seen are Matthew J Dowden's and Paul Gordon's.

You seem to be after a 'new' force for the sake of it. Just stick with the classics and work on your handling and presentation. Nobody should really be paying that much attention during the 'pick a card' part anyway. Most spectators won't consider the trick to have started yet and will only start paying really close attention once the card is returned (as that's when they are expecting the dodgy moves to begin).

Peace

Matt

Feb 7, 2011
The classic force is the best force out there, but is terrifying to say the least. I think i said this on another thread but ill say it again, master the classic force when you dont need it. Attempt it everytime you perform an effect that uses a freely selected card, like an ambitious card, or a sandwich effect. When you start getting hits you can practice your mind reading patter too. Untill then, use the riffle force dude. If you're looking for something different though, i remember subscribing to jay sankeys news letter and getting a brilliant force for free, it came with a voodoo ashes routine, it's a force that happens completely in the spectators hands ,with your back turned. It fooled me the first time i seen it,and i sometimes use it to great effect when performing stigmata. I might look it up now and see if i can find a name for it.

There are subtleties that sell the Riffle Force to make it extremely convinving - even if spectators are burning your hands.

I believe this is an Ammar subtlety - when your right hand goes to lift off at the break, insert your index finger in the front break created by your left thumb's riffle. That way it appears you are actually lifting up the top portion exactly where they called stop. Then after the top half has been lifted up, readjust your left thumb so it is bending down the top left corner of the packet it holds further enforcing the idea that you did cut exactly where they called stop.

The riffle force is a great and extremely deceptive force if done correctly.

As for another force I like, the Hofsinzer Cull Force. So deceptive.

Obviously the most deceptive though is the Classic done well.

Ya, I agree with everyone else. I don't think there is anything wrong with those forces. Riffle force is probably the one I use the most when I do preform. I personally never really use the Slip Force just because I don't like how it feels, plus I haven't put much practice into it. I think Aaron Fisher has a 1-on-1 here at T11 about how to critique the Slip Force to make it better, though I could be thinking of something else.

As for the effect you made, very cool. The premise I think is a pretty classic one but adding in the Blackberry really modernizes it which is cool. Good luck on finding a suitable force to fit what you're looking for.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results