Card Trick a 4 Year Old Could Learn?

Aug 10, 2014
So, I'm 15 and my little sister who is 4 wants to learn a card trick. I show her quite a few card tricks daily which is good practice for me but I can't think of one she could do. Obviously her hands are very small and she would be using my red bee deck, which is clearly of standard size. So, considering her age, hand size and general ability what with not having learnt a card trick before, what would you reccommend?

Cheers :D

Aug 11, 2014
You might wanna try teaching her some mathematical card tricks. The 21 card card trick is a pretty good one. There are a couple other ones that are pretty easy. There are some good ones on YouTube, which normally isn't a great place to get magic but there are some good ones out there. I can't really remember his name but there's one guy that has a lot of mathematical card tricks on there.

Jul 1, 2013
Italy

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Please don't go to Misfit882's website or YouTube channel. He represents what is wrong with magic today. He performs by narrating the effects (say-do-see patter) and focusing on his hands. He has no respect for the magic because he exposes magic to the public and teaches effects that are not his to teach. Also, his sleight of hand skills are awful and anything you learn from him will be the wrong technique.

As for mathematical tricks, we are talking about a 4 year old. I think what you meant was self working effects. The best bet is to get Scarne on Card Tricks. Awesome book. In addition, I will send you a PM with two easy tricks she can perform.

Also, see if she can get a Bridge Sized deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
I start most kids off with the Key Card principle. It's nice and flexible and it's a staple of real magic performance, so I think it's a little better form to teach that instead of a self-working trick they'll outgrow and might not use again. Also, whenever a kid insists on showing me a card trick, it's always the key card, and they always point the thing directly at the ceiling, so lots of times I'm just teaching a better handling and presentation of a trick they already sort of know. Either way, the glimpse/key card principle requires little to no sleight of hand and is easy for young minds to grasp usually.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results