Card Trick

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
the first two were just like any other sandwhich routines the last effect i like the most unfortunately since i know how it was done i saw it coming i suggest usein the 3rd effect by it self

Feb 21, 2009
a

I seem to be getting the same feedback, but are my sleights good or is there something i should work on cause iv;e done this live a lot and it gets killer reactions

Mar 29, 2008
When will young magicians realize that reactions are not the end all to be all - reactions are an instant emotional response - and only ONE way to gain feedback. I once took cards out of my pocket, and the girl didn't see...and she screamed, "Oh my god - where did those cards come from"...her friends said,"he pulled them out and you weren't watching"...she looks, "oh" - and blushes. It is amazing what people will "react" to, but later think about and realize method. Moreover, when you are new to magic or young (even as much as 2-3 years) - you get stronger reactions for bad stuff...why? People expect very little out of you, so if you do more than nothing - reactions!? Not exactly the greatest way to measure the success of your magic - long term for certain. You have to be your own judge.

I would say this about what I saw - looking at it like a lay person - but speaking like a magician.

Your magic has not plot - just music - so when you really do it...do you turn on music? No? Well, then why did you make me sit through that song?

Next - your very first control - it look like a control - it was very precise and careful handling...it looked like you were keeping track of the card...why? Because you were. Look to have a loose handling, and practice your controls more to make it look natural.

Next to next - both times you have NO motivation to touch the cards to the deck. This is called the NO touch principle - you touch the cards to the deck..and then the card is there - I don't know how it gets there, but I know WHEN...when you touched the cards on the deck, for no reason but to steal the card. This is bad construction.

Also, when you spread the cards with your hand to make it appear between two cards...it looks like you just spread the cards...again, a tell. Oh...where was the card...hiding between those two other cards.

Will the average person get that stuff - no? However, I don't want to fool the easy ones, I want to fool them all...the real hard ones - as Swiss says, the rest come for free.

For the last phase - it looked nice on camera - I would recommend a turnover pass as you turn the deck face up and put it down - so you centre the cards, rather than cutting them at that point - which reminded me later...oh, he cut the cards to centre the top pack...as he came to the top of the deck again for no reason.

Overall, it was average - make those changes, and it could be good.

On a side, yet related note, I never did like the idea of 2 cards finding one - it make no sense.

Good luck. Hope that feedback helps.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
When will young magicians realize that reactions are not the end all to be all - reactions are an instant emotional response - and only ONE way to gain feedback. I once took cards out of my pocket, and the girl didn't see...and she screamed, "Oh my god - where did those cards come from"...her friends said,"he pulled them out and you weren't watching"...she looks, "oh" - and blushes. It is amazing what people will "react" to, but later think about and realize method. Moreover, when you are new to magic or young (even as much as 2-3 years) - you get stronger reactions for bad stuff...why? People expect very little out of you, so if you do more than nothing - reactions!? Not exactly the greatest way to measure the success of your magic - long term for certain. You have to be your own judge.

I would say this about what I saw - looking at it like a lay person - but speaking like a magician.

Your magic has not plot - just music - so when you really do it...do you turn on music? No? Well, then why did you make me sit through that song?

Next - your very first control - it look like a control - it was very precise and careful handling...it looked like you were keeping track of the card...why? Because you were. Look to have a loose handling, and practice your controls more to make it look natural.

Next to next - both times you have NO motivation to touch the cards to the deck. This is called the NO touch principle - you touch the cards to the deck..and then the card is there - I don't know how it gets there, but I know WHEN...when you touched the cards on the deck, for no reason but to steal the card. This is bad construction.

Also, when you spread the cards with your hand to make it appear between two cards...it looks like you just spread the cards...again, a tell. Oh...where was the card...hiding between those two other cards.

Will the average person get that stuff - no? However, I don't want to fool the easy ones, I want to fool them all...the real hard ones - as Swiss says, the rest come for free.

For the last phase - it looked nice on camera - I would recommend a turnover pass as you turn the deck face up and put it down - so you centre the cards, rather than cutting them at that point - which reminded me later...oh, he cut the cards to centre the top pack...as he came to the top of the deck again for no reason.

Overall, it was average - make those changes, and it could be good.

On a side, yet related note, I never did like the idea of 2 cards finding one - it make no sense.

Good luck. Hope that feedback helps.

Quoted to emphasize wisdom.

Feb 21, 2009
a

it depends on ur opinion. if u dontlike sandwich effects, then what am i supposed to do. i feel tricks like this on are easy and get killer reactions.so i show them to you guys.
i personally dont like resets, but thats my problem

Mar 29, 2008
Wow DeceptionInc...this is why this forum struggles. You ask for feedback, my advice gets a recommendation by one of your peers, and you blow it off? Is this accurate? IT DEPENDS ON MY OPINION?

Sure, I don't like sandwich effects, because the method for most handlings is pretty obvious...you are hiding one card under two...and even when the method is deceptive...I find the presentations always lack.

HOWEVER - your feedback wasn't based on my hate for sandwich effects - it was based on your technique and lack of presentation...moreso, the technique.

Kid, it took me awhile to write out what I did for you, I put thought into it...and honestly, watching your magic was difficult - as I have seen worse, but much better. Watching multiple errors in magic, is like listening to music where the person is playing the notes wrong. It is painful.

Don't judge your magic on reaction alone - reaction is instant feedback, that is important - but...BUT...it is also instant emotion displayed, not logical thinking. How long do you want to fool them...for a minute or for a lifetime?

I don't care if you don't like resets - then don't do effects that have any - or are you talking about Paul Harris' Reset...anyhow, saying you won't do something is a great way to say...I don't want to be a complete magician. However, resets have nothing to do with your problems.

You focused on two of the wrong things...How easy it was for you and the reactions you get from magicians...that will lead you down a dead end path.

How about worrying about these things:

How easy you can make it on your audience, rather than yourself & what kind of responses and reactions you get from people that aren't your friends, magicians or are forced to be polite.

Listen twice as much as you talk...also, do me the favour of re-reading what I wrote above, then say THANK YOU.

If you ask for feedback - take it well - IT IS A GIFT.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results