Card Tricks for Restaurants

Apr 26, 2011
Hey Guys

I just started working at a restaurant for the first time, usually I go to a table and perform Deja Vu, or the Collectors, then do the Ishkabibble sandwich and end with a game of three card monte.
I have noticed however those spectators don’t understand Deja Vu and the Collectors are a bit of a nuisance to set up. Not only this but the Three Card Monte routine never fools everyone, I can only trick two or three people who are watching.
So my question is this: What card tricks do you do when you are working the tables at a restaurant?
I was thinking of starting with the ishkabibble sandwich, or search and destroy, doing an ACR and ending with the TiVo Transpo

What do you guys think?

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
those tricks are not for restaurants, they are for magicians, check out Lee Smith, Paul Gordon, David Stone work on youtube, you need easy trick to do , to follow, with no reset, no table
also "french kiss" by Wayne Houchin

Last edited by a moderator:
May 19, 2010
From my experience don't do more than one card trick a set, if that. Spectators get easily bored with many card effects and you will find it difficult to transition into them. If you do find yourself doing cards tricks make them short and sweet. Go with coins, rubber bands, sponge balls, things like that. Good luck, restaurants are a lot of fun!

Apr 26, 2011
Cheers Guys

I'll look into your suggestions.

but so far the spectators have really enjoyed ishkabibble and the ACR

Nov 8, 2007
Cheers Guys

I'll look into your suggestions.

but so far the spectators have really enjoyed ishkabibble and the ACR
That's because those are easy-to-follow, simple premise, quick and commercial effects. As someone already said, the others you mentioned fall more into the "magic for magicians" category. They assume people are interested in what you're doing. Which they aren't (at least not at first). With Ishkabibble and ACR, though, even if someone isn't much interested and is only half paying attention, they'll still be able to follow what happened and be impressed by how simple and straight forward the impossibility of what they saw was. It's better to assume people aren't interested and only giving you half their attention than to assume the opposite. Work from there and you'll earn their interest and attention.

Also, if you're looking for a good commercial monte routine, check out Garrett Thomas's "Stand Up Monte."

Hope that helps.

Happy Magic :)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Invisible deck and "Chicago Opener" work great as well.

The "Chicago Opener" could be done back to back with the classic "Do as I Do" effect (I think it's in Royal Road). At the end of chicago opener, I'd take the discolored card and make a remark about how it never stays where it should. I pull out a deck that matches it and say "You've just seen a pick a card trick, how about a pick a deck trick". Then procede to do the do as I do effect.

Edit: I got thinking about this wondering why I don't do it, then I realized it's 2 pick a card tricks in a row. Woops, Sorry to make this post a bit useless....

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
When table hopping I ONLY perform 1 card effect and I NEVER open with it. You need effects that are simple to follow, no reset at all, and effects that have multiple parts that you could end on should the waiter arrive holding the plates of food...otherwise your climax could be ruined by any interruptions.

Try not to "invade" their personal space or eating area. Do not touch their silverware, glasses, etc. because some people are very uncomfortable with that and like cleanliness. If you do a fork bend with their fork, make sure the bus boy or waitress knows to bring another replacement one promptly.

You'll notice pocket management is imperative and always put items back exactly where they came from every single time. Fumbling around for a coin shell or looking for your black sharpie looks tacky.

Don't stay too long at tables because the manager wants to "turn tables" which means get people in and out to make more money.
I'd say give them a set of 2-3 effects and move on.

I have a restaurant set, I do not perform at a restaurant yet so I am not sure how my set will do but while building it I took the advice to be simple and have variety, Simple card effects like ACR. Some coins across or vanishes and productions, Then I use color changing knives and sponge balls. But Also remember It isn't what you do as much as how you do it. Try to make entertaining patter and be lively and fun. Try to figure out a way to be entertaining while being in your style... That is the hard part!

But do remember this is advice I learned from study not practice, I have never performed at a restaurant but am trying to get a job at one at the moment!

Good luck!

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
I perform more than one card trick because that is the bulk of my high quality effects. I perform Fourced Outcome as an opener, or Static. Then I usually perform come around, or spongeballs depending on the audience. Then I occasionally perform Stand Up Monte, then I finish with Extreme Burn. I perform other effects as well, but this is the backbone of my performances.
Dan

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for all the help.

The only problem is that all of my good effects are card tricks, so i have almost no experiance with things like sponge balls. i also try and stay away from gimmicks, because it is too expensive for me to ship it, are there any download-y things you could suggest

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I would almost suggest that you hold off on the restaurant gig for a while. From what I have read, you are still in the process of building a good foundation of effects for yourself, and you are still working on finding your niche in terms of "performance comfortability" and "adaptation". I still think it is good that you continue to perform outside of your comfort zones, but perhaps instead of a paid restaurant gig, try finding volunteer situations at local retirement homes, children's hospitals, etc... Cruise around a local shopping mall, etc.. Those will be the best places to break in new effects that are more suitable for restaurant work.

Apr 26, 2011
the tricks themselves are fine, i can perform them well, it's just that i am trying to find a routine that would better suite the environment that i am working in. I just had my first day so I am still trying to suss everything out. It's like breaking in a new pair of shoes, they start out a little bit uncomfortable, but after a couple of days, they fit perfectly.

I'm just trying to see if anyone had any suggestions to make the shoes(ie tricks) fit better

I am not sure how to help with your effects I don't really know any of them, I perform pretty simple effects but I do say just keep performing and be entertaining and fun! It is you not the effects.

P.S - Learn some sponge balls kids love it and it is easy and just plain fun!

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I don't mean to sound harsh, but her in lies the problem. If you had the appropriate experience and had done the proper preparation, you would know that some of the tricks you have chosen do not suit the restaurant scene. Let's compare two different people preparing for a restaurant gig:

Person A: Person A has a restaurant gig, and so in preparation, scrapes together the tricks that he knows to build a set. He chooses his routine based on the tricks that he does well and puts them in an order that seems to flow decently. Perhaps the tricks will go over well, perhaps not, but decides to give it a try to find out.

Person B: Person B has a restaurant gig, and so in preparation, searches through the hundreds of tricks that he knows and chooses the effects that he knows will play well in a restaurant scene and of course, has confidence performing. He also then takes those selected effects and organizes them in a way that compliment each other and flow well together.

I would say that to most of us here offering advice, you seem more like Person A, which again, is not an insult, but it does make it clear you should really try to jump into other genres of close-up magic before diving into a paid restaurant gig.

And, the challenge to "make the tricks fit better" is exactly that. Taking tricks that do not naturally suit certain environments, and perform those very successfully in THOSE environments, requires years and years of experience, and requires the ability to completely control a crowd.

Apr 26, 2011
I was thinking start with the ishkabibble sandwich, or search and destroy (depending if there is a table or not), then do an ACR with the selected card and then do TiVo Transpo with the selection and a random card from the deck.

they are quick, visual effects that would keep the spectators attention and engagement and they seem like they would flow together quite nicley

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
One bit of advice is that you want to have only around 3-4 effects or one solid routine that quickly lasts up 6 min at the most. Otherwise you'll end up looking silly and annoying the staff if you're spending too much time at each table. Think of this stuff as more hit and run type things, get in, perform, entertain, give out business card and then move onto the next table. Rinse repeat. You can easily come back to the table later on and perform a "bonus" effect or chat them up some more if they call you back.

Feb 7, 2011
the Three Card Monte routine never fools everyone, I can only trick two or three people who are watching.

I couldn't count how many times I have performed the three card monte, and not once has anyone ever caught me. I hope you dont take offence to this, but if you're getting caught out, it's completely down to you not practicing enough. The sleights involved are completely invisible when done correctly.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The key to 3 card monte is not to challenge your audience. You can't allow it to become a guessing game or they will purposely pick cards that are not the one and then they will start finding the one they aren't supposed to. I've seen this happen a million times and especially with kids.

When doing 3 card monte, use the effect as more of a demonstration of how people get cheated out of their money and you (the magician) should act as though you were the one up against this street hustler. Put yourself in the place of the spectator. For example: "You could imagine my surprise when I told the.....blah blah blah..." You get the point.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Hey Guys

I just started working at a restaurant for the first time, usually I go to a table and perform Deja Vu, or the Collectors, then do the Ishkabibble sandwich and end with a game of three card monte.
I have noticed however those spectators don’t understand Deja Vu and the Collectors are a bit of a nuisance to set up. Not only this but the Three Card Monte routine never fools everyone, I can only trick two or three people who are watching.
So my question is this: What card tricks do you do when you are working the tables at a restaurant?
I was thinking of starting with the ishkabibble sandwich, or search and destroy, doing an ACR and ending with the TiVo Transpo

What do you guys think?

Which 3 card Monte version are you doing? If it's the original handling that is sleight heavy, then I can sort of see why you are getting caught. But it could also be because you don't have it down pat enough to where the moves are "fast" and "smooth" enough to work right.

If it's something like Stand Up monte (which isn't sleight heavy and is nearly self working.) or Michael Skinners, then it's you now practicing the effects enough. Also I would say this could be because you are treating it like a challenge to them.

The trick to this is to start it out sort of like a demo of what they do on the street AND then you can go into the "where is the Queen?" bit, as you continue you just gotta say things like "Yeah, that caught me off guard too. " or things in that line.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I was thinking start with the ishkabibble sandwich, or search and destroy (depending if there is a table or not), then do an ACR with the selected card and then do TiVo Transpo with the selection and a random card from the deck.

they are quick, visual effects that would keep the spectators attention and engagement and they seem like they would flow together quite nicley

Forget about Search and destroy... and tricks that require to much "in hand of spectator" participation...

I have worked in restaurants for sometime now...and there are something you need to think before going to a restaurant gig..

1.- you have to be quick... the average time per table should be around 3-5 min..
2.- the spoken patter sometimes is useless...since sometime you compete with music and lots of noise... so your effects MUST counter that... extremely visual and in your hands... which leads me to the next point
3.- Try hard to not put your stuff in their table... all your trick should be in your hands... first because it´s not your table and second because you cards could get dirty...
4.- your first trick must be freaking awesome visual and engaging... and it should be done in the first 30 seconds (your intro included)
5.- learn more tricks with rubberbands, coins, thumbtip... variety it´s great also... sometime ago my only pack of cards was destroyed with cola by a spectator and having a repertoire with no deck of cards helps tremendously...(also carry 2 extra decks)

I could give you a lot of advice on performing in restaurants.. but I would check David stone material... also there is a nice guy here call Benji Bruce that has awesome advice regarding restaurant gigs and marketing... look for him and check his webpage and subscribe to his newsletter..

feel free to PM any time...

P.D. It´s good to be back!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results