Cerca Trova Ideas

Xdelamuertex

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2007
Spokane WA
www.x-tremefights.com
"Cerca Trova" — seek and you shall find — is shown on a five-century-old fresco by Giorgio Vasari, "Battle of Marciano in the Chiana Valley," in the council hall of Florence's Palazzo Vecchio. Researchers believe these cryptic words could be a clue to the location of a long-lost Leonardo da Vinci painting.

L

Liam Carrie

I think they should have a whole post on misderection or crowd control

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I have an idea to throw onto the table:

Why do we, as magicians, often feel the need to fool other magicians? Why is it that we have to over complicate things with gimmicks and intricate sleights in order to prove that what we say "really" is what we say?

What will it take for us to forget that not every layman has the 'magician's eye' that we supposedly have to spot a double lift a mile away.

It often annoys me when I see others say, that's too obvious or I figured it out therefore it's rubbish and laymen won't like it, I'd like to see what others have to say on the matter.

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
I'm going to have to agree with this one.

I recall a conversation back in the day. I was arguing privately with another magician. He was slagging off another known name (I won't say who) and insisting that this performer was a bad magician overall. I told him that my parents saw videos of him and thought he was slick. They liked his shows. I'd hoped to communicate that there really is no point in arguing taste.

Instead, this guy says to me, "What would they know? They're not magicians."

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
or a killer....

XCM VS. MAGIC

lol, i know thats irrelevant i just love seeing the arguements, though i personally dont like XCM what so ever, it impresses very few people i know and is no where near as entertaining as magic, sure it can be used to spice something up, but i believe it has no real place in magic, and you should choose one or the other...:)

Jan 11, 2008
New york

Why do we, as magicians, often feel the need to fool other magicians? Why is it that we have to over complicate things with gimmicks and intricate sleights in order to prove that what we say "really" is what we say?

What will it take for us to forget that not every layman has the 'magician's eye' that we supposedly have to spot a double lift a mile away.

It often annoys me when I see others say, that's too obvious or I figured it out therefore it's rubbish and laymen won't like it, I'd like to see what others have to say on the matter.

- Sean

Thats Good.

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
I know I'm not the first to mention this, but I'd like to see more on the role of XCM in card magic. Or vice versa. Seems that a division is forming between the two.

Katie E. said in a post that XCM is the future of magic. I'm dying to know what other T11 people think.

Me, I'm not so sure, because there is nothing magic about it. Personally, I see XCM as a highly sophisticated form of juggling. It takes practice and dexterity to master, but doesn't present the same form of mystery that regular card magic does.

Don't get me wrong: I'm impressed and appreciative of all the cardists who post videos here. I incorporate XCM into my card magic. But XCM will always be a supplement to my magic, not my entire act. Even if I could do half of what many on the forum could do, my foundation will rest on "Pick a card" and the like.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I know I'm not the first to mention this, but I'd like to see more on the role of XCM in card magic. Or vice versa. Seems that a division is forming between the two.

Katie E. said in a post that XCM is the future of magic. I'm dying to know what other T11 people think.

Me, I'm not so sure, because there is nothing magic about it. Personally, I see XCM as a highly sophisticated form of juggling. It takes practice and dexterity to master, but doesn't present the same form of mystery that regular card magic does.

Don't get me wrong: I'm impressed and appreciative of all the cardists who post videos here. I incorporate XCM into my card magic. But XCM will always be a supplement to my magic, not my entire act. Even if I could do half of what many on the forum could do, my foundation will rest on "Pick a card" and the like.

XCM has nothing to do with magic. In fact, the sloppier you are with cards the better reactions you will get because people wont expect you to perform intricate sleight of hand moves.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
Seeing that there are a lot of youths in the magic community, I think it's good to discuss more about the issue between education and magic.

What I mean is, some of the young members think that the importance of education in life is rather low comparing to practicing their magic.

e.g.
I remember someone said that they have played with his deck of cards during class and the deck was confiscated by the teacher after all. Other people said that they decide to become a professional magicians, so why bother listening in class.

Yet, it seems to me that not many professional magicians have ever address their opinions on such topic.

I would like to see more discussion on this, if possible.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 14, 2008
Ideas

I think a good topic could self-doubt, and how to over-come it. I get it all the time, and I don't know what to do about it. I'm just sitting there with my deck, thinking to myself, am i any good? There are some many people who are better than me. I don't have that much talent.

This is pretty solid... maybe overcoming nerves or how to get a decent gig.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
ALERT: KICKASS CERCA TROVA!

I think the next cerca trova should be the much debated 'i worked it out from the video, why can i not perform it!' classic...

apparantly, ive heard a few people say aaron fisher say that it is okay to work it out from a performance, and i believe no one should put up a performance that doesnt protect the trick 100%//

the cerca trova can delve into ethics, morals, peoples opinions, legalities, etc...

just my thought, i think it would make a good debate...

'is it right to learn a trick from a video?'

also is up to date with 'fresh' topics (the clipshift)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I came in here to post pretty much exactly what cklam wrote a couple of posts up. School vs. magic has cropped up on these forums several times and I for one would like to see what some of the T11 artists have to say on the matter.

Cheers,
David.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
How about Simplicity versus Complexity.

Recently, I've felt a little bit inadequate compared to some people here because it seems a lot of people are using these really difficult-type sleights whereas I seem to still be doing basic/above basic type stuff. So I'd like to hear what people have to say on this subject. Like, is it necessary to learn the pass and stuff like that?

Yeah, I think it'd be a cool discussion to have. :)

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com

- Sean

(*mutters something about word count*)

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
ALERT: KICKASS CERCA TROVA!

I think the next cerca trova should be the much debated 'i worked it out from the video, why can i not perform it!' classic...

apparantly, ive heard a few people say aaron fisher say that it is okay to work it out from a performance, and i believe no one should put up a performance that doesnt protect the trick 100%//

the cerca trova can delve into ethics, morals, peoples opinions, legalities, etc...

just my thought, i think it would make a good debate...

'is it right to learn a trick from a video?'
(*mutters something about stealing seans idea*)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results