Cerca Trova Ideas

Dec 10, 2007
Slovenia (Europe)
Exposure between close friends, family etc..

For example, how do you feel on exposing a magic effect to a family member, a friend, to perhaps get some feedback or advice?

And repeating effects? Lets say you performed your routine for a group, then when you are in the middle of the same routine, but in front of another group, a person from the first group comes and watch. Do you adapt and perform other things, or do you go on?

Sep 1, 2007
How about something on emotional hooks, spectator involvement and public management ?

How was this not selected for a topic?

I might as well throw down a few more, as utterly futile as it seems.

-A discussion of The Power of Myth.
-Semiotics and its use in magic performances.
-Creating multiple layers of deception.
-The ideo-motor response.
-Urban legends as a storytelling tradition and its use in magic.

Let's see if anybody bites on one of these.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
steerpike said:
I might as well throw down a few more, as utterly futile as it seems.

-A discussion of The Power of Myth.
-Semiotics and its use in magic performances.
-Creating multiple layers of deception.
-The ideo-motor response.
-Urban legends as a storytelling tradition and its use in magic.

Seconding them all.
The Power of Myth and Multiple Layers of Deception over the others.

Maybe tackle the issues of

-Pride, and the resistance to criticism/change as a magician
-How deep should the rabbit hole go? How much do you allow someone to believe concerning supernatural powers versus other things in play? (this could tie in with so many other things, what character you should portray or which effects you should-or shouldn't-perform)
-How difficult should your effects be? Is it pure vanity to include difficult sleights when equally deceptive, variably easier methods are available?
-Should you even do magic? Are there people who just aren't cut out to be magicians, despite hours and hours of dedication and practice? How would you be able to judge such a thing?

Just a few thoughts.
-Rik

Feb 18, 2008
I think a good topic could self-doubt, and how to over-come it. I get it all the time, and I don't know what to do about it. I'm just sitting there with my deck, thinking to myself, am i any good? There are some many people who are better than me. I don't have that much talent.

I'm new to the forum, but not at all new to the art. I remember taking my family to a local pizza restaurant, where they had a clown performing every Tuesday evening ("Kids' night). We just wanted to enjoy an evening as a family. On arrival; no clown. I asked the manager if we were there on the wrong night, and he said the clown no longer worked there...she went back to school. When I asked him if he could use a magician, he nearly jumped the counter to shake my hand, saying, "When can you start?" After arranging to meet him for a demo of my "act", we began a two and a half year relationship.

Now to the point: When I started, I knew about three card tricks really well, and a handful of miscellaneous close-up tricks. I was a rank amateur. I learned a lot from listening to my audience, as well as constantly running my ideas and failures by a close group of fellow semi-pro and pro magician friends.

Now I can entertain a child with just a pack of cards for 20 minutes straight, as well as boggle their minds with nearly anything that'll fit into the hand. And, consequently, I have learned to blow away adults (even professional Physicists). One of my spectators once told me I was a better magician than David Copperfield.

You'll get that, too, with practice, patience, and performing experience, so long as you remember to make it all yours, and don't strive to be any other celebrity.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Is being 'human' more of a connection? Fail/succeed tricks are great, but do they seem planned or like cover-ups? Do they really help you connect or as a performer? What other tricks could hinder you?

Reasoning. Why do spectators always pick the ambitious card? Should we personify cards? Do you really need to snap? Is saying 'watch this' really 'your style'?

Realization:What are things magicians should come to realize on their own, but never do? When should one realize they need to change something?(effect list, performance style, push from amateur to professional...)

How often do you craft your own methods from other peoples performances? Do you purposely try to figure them out before you buy them? If you're stumped, should you buy it because you want to do it or leave it a mystery and hope you figure it out one day?

Do you suck? If so, why do you suck? Is it skill, presentation or are you just nervous?(likely excuse) What could you improve on? Handling, script, the amount of hours you practice...

When are you damaging yourself? Can a hobby that you want to become a source of income take over your life and actually hurt your chances? Do dreams really come true? Do you believe in miracles, you sexy thing?

I don't know...after midnight thoughts and verbiage. My thoughts have been used in the past, why not try, try again?

:)

Is being prepared enough? How many steps should you be ahead in your performance? Should your audience catch up or throw you off, can you switch gears and recover? Do you plan for these audience members? Should you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 7, 2009
young magicians starting out

How about Ideas for young magicians who are ready to take there art farther than a hobby.how to move into preforming for large audiances, inventing illusions an marketing them. I my self Have created many tricks That i preform and think others should be allowed to see. People like me need a place to send ideas to, like you guys at theory 11, a place to submit our tricks so we get feed back from you as the marketers till we come up with a winning product. the problem i have ran in to is i design a trick that i think is good and submit it and never hear anything about it. if i got feedback i might be able to take that raw idea and come back with something that was well liked and could be sold. I understand that doing that for the hundreds of submissions coming in would be very time consuming but it would possibly keep fresh new ideas roilling in too idk food for thought i gusse ?
:Dthx for listening to me rambel.

Aug 4, 2009
Maybe a discussion on people like "The Masked Magician" or David Zanthor.. People that show how the trick is done after the trick.

Some people claim that the Masked Magician is actually helping magic by stirring interest and bringing new people to the craft. Others want him twisting in the wind.

Jul 10, 2009
I agree with jazzhands1 on what to do when you mess up. Every magician has had it happen and its practical becuase its bound to happen!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results