Children

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
hi, i need a lil help with some tricks for lil kids.

today i went to my little brothers 5th grade elementary school class party, and the teacher asked if i would do i few tricks. (i was doing some flourishes, that how she knew)

i did a few ambitous card, and some simple stuff, easy stuff. and they really liked it.

now she asked me to come back for the christmas party, and do a few things.

now all i know is card magic, and thats all im planning on learning.

I need some tricks that are visual, and easy to enjoy by the kids.

i was thinking about geting a rising card deck, and maybe some spongeball magic.

but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me

note:(i am fairly new to magic, maybe 2 months experience and i dont plan on doing alot of kid magic. but i do need some material just encase i need to.

any help would be great

thanks

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hmm...

Not really sure if this is specific, just heard about it through the grapvine, but Dan Harlan's "Kids Birthday Show" may be something to check out.

Good luck!

-Sanj

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i was actually thinking about doing that,

can you recommended a dvd, book, and somewhere to buy them?
maybe ellusionist?

i actually think i have a book that has some tricks, ill just need the spongeballs

Oct 26, 2008
RGV TX
You likely don't want to dump a bunch of money into magic items. who would? though, it may not be a bad idea if you'll be doing ALOT of shows for kids. (maybe 2 or 3 big visual tricks?)

if you want the kids to know you as a "card guy", you may consider buying some funny gaff cards. Think of some funny ways to present them, like in the context of stories or jokes.

I don't know how you feel about using gaffs, but kids arent as critical as adults may be. So, they'll enjoy it.

Sep 1, 2007
Rope magic is really great. The cut and restored rope was one of the tricks that inspired my love of magic when I was a wee child.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I dont remember where I saw it, but the best things to do with children, are tricks that are very visual and fun, Dont care about a patter or the psicology of the trick, they won't, they only thing they care about is "ooooh, you multiplyed the balls!","oooooh, you changed the car in my hand"

Jaja I remeber this time were I was at a kids party and some of them asked me to do a trick, they wanted me to change the card in their hands...what was next?a thousands DL of my deck:D

Sponges, ropes, or very visual card tricks are your way to go.

Cheers and Good luck:D

ropes, sponges, cups and balls if you do them, maybe some TT work...

cards arent; as good for a large crowd. If you must use cards, maybe do a trick like jay sankey's airtight or card on ceiling. Those are 'bigger', more visual.

Apr 15, 2008
Visual - Distortion, spongeballs, rising card would be great. After 2 months you might not be ready to do distortion, but rising card is doable and I think with some practice you could get your sponge routine up to speed. BTW what flourishes were you doing? Pm me please because Im interested about what flourishes someone with 2 months of experience could do to all of a sudden make the teacher want you to perform? They must have been pretty good!

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Kids are easy to entertain, you can pretty much do any trick you want.
Except that gory bloody version of saw.

its funny, my lil sister also had a party that day, and i was helping with the craft etc. and they wanted to see a trick, and the only thing i could do with them was the ambitous card.
and i swear those kids, would do anything to find a way to ruin it lol.
I cant tell how many "I KNOW HO YOU DID THAT BLAH BLAH" i got.

yet i do the same trick for a parent, and their baffled.
i think its crazy

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I dont remember where I saw it, but the best things to do with children, are tricks that are very visual and fun, Dont care about a patter or the psicology of the trick, they won't, they only thing they care about is "ooooh, you multiplyed the balls!","oooooh, you changed the car in my hand"

Jaja I remeber this time were I was at a kids party and some of them asked me to do a trick, they wanted me to change the card in their hands...what was next?a thousands DL of my deck:D

Sponges, ropes, or very visual card tricks are your way to go.

Cheers and Good luck:D

thats exactly what I did.
and i want to look into a spongeball routine.

could you, or anyone help me out with some good visual colorchanges/tricks?

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
You likely don't want to dump a bunch of money into magic items. who would? though, it may not be a bad idea if you'll be doing ALOT of shows for kids. (maybe 2 or 3 big visual tricks?)

if you want the kids to know you as a "card guy", you may consider buying some funny gaff cards. Think of some funny ways to present them, like in the context of stories or jokes.

I don't know how you feel about using gaffs, but kids arent as critical as adults may be. So, they'll enjoy it.

your absolutely right.
gaffs do sound like a good idea, and i have wanted to try them.

and its funny, ive found children are more critical then adults lol!
ive done the same biddle trick, and ambitous card for children that i do for adults. and they will not stop trying to figure it out.
i guess its just the age.
plus those arent as visual as some of the others.

Sep 22, 2007
i would suggest loops. little kids would respond very well with seeing something move with out you touching it (i.e. crayon, fork, marker) as well as making objects float and there are several other things you can do with them. Also definatly sponge balls!

Try the Ultragaff deck.

Imagine what the kids will think when you "accidentally" smear your fingers across the face of the deck.

Or think about how the kids will respond when you show the kings have disappeared from their normal cards and appeared all together.

Best of all, you can use it for anyone, not just kids!

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i would suggest loops. little kids would respond very well with seeing something move with out you touching it (i.e. crayon, fork, marker) as well as making objects float and there are several other things you can do with them. Also definatly sponge balls!

loops would be cool, what about a rising card deck?

I guess im sold on the spongeballs haha

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results