Cigarette Through Quarter

Nov 8, 2007
I second that. I got one at Garrett Thomas' lecture a while back (it came with his handling for it too, which is the best!) and it hasn't failed me.

And I second you back!

Garrett definitely has the best handling for Cigarette Through Quarter. It's also on his "Inside the Mind" DVDs, as well as the World's Greatest Magic Cigarette Through Quarter DVD.

Anyone else a fan of the Belanger Cigarette Through Coin? I think it's more versatile than the more common gimmicked coins in that it can actually be viewed from all angles during the penetration and that restorations are more unique and arguably more visual. You can even restore the coin in the spectator's hands, which naturally makes the effect more powerful.

I know Richard Sanders and David Acer have some good material on the Belanger. Recommend it.

RS.

Nov 8, 2007
Anyone else a fan of the Belanger Cigarette Through Coin? I think it's more versatile than the more common gimmicked coins in that it can actually be viewed from all angles during the penetration and that restorations are more unique and arguably more visual. You can even restore the coin in the spectator's hands, which naturally makes the effect more powerful.

I know Richard Sanders and David Acer have some good material on the Belanger. Recommend it.

RS.

I think it's a good alternative, but I still prefer the classic gimmick for its visual impact.

Seeing the unblinking moment the cigarette penetrates the quarter and melts back through is a powerful thing, and I think it also is a nice moment of misdirection to keep the audience thinking something other than the obvious "he must have switched it for a quarter with a hole in it."

I see where you're coming from, but I believe the notion of a 'trick coin' is just as obvious... especially with the typical straight-outta-the-package handling that everyone's seen Blaine do on televison. When it all comes down to it, the entire plot is arguably 'too perfect,' but that's a different debate altogether.

I prefer the Belanger for the variety of handlings and restorations it offers. My favorite restoration looks just as good as the traditional gimmick, except it's practically done in the spectator's hands. As the spectator holds one end of the cigarette, I break it in half and the coin falls into their awaiting hand instantly restored. I've also seen handlings where the hole melts away much like the gimmicked coin.

Both items are very good, and they're both classics. I just feel the Belanger is severely underrated for its simplicity.

Have you ever tried Derren Brown's handling for the traditional gimmick? Ballsy.

RS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results