Clash of 2010 : Episode 1 - Bret's Iris

Jul 15, 2009
Episode #1: Bret's Iris

It was about ten minutes passed midnight, but still Jonathan was still staring intently at the computer screen in his office.The forum threads aren't as much as it used to be, he thought to himself.He closed his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose. He then yawned.

"Pulling out an all nighter again JB?" a voice from behind him spoke. Jonathan droopily turned around and found one of his staff members, Dan White. His face was beaming brightly, despite the late hour and the dark room.

"Nope. Almost done for the night. Just answered some last minute threads before I retire", Jonathan answered as he stood and stretched his arms." Anything from the 'Submit a Trick' section?"

Dan grinned even wider and pulled out a Flashdrive. "Check this out JB, this is the top submission that came in just this afternoon.I wanted to show it to you, and hear what you think about this gem effect."

Jonathan's eyes widen in amazement as he took the Flashdrive and inserted it into his computer's CPU.He clicked a series of windows and boxes and finally Dan's Flash drive.

"What is it?"Jonathan asked, eager to know the effects in the device, as he clicked the box with the drive's contents.

Dan smirked.

"You'll see...There...", Dan said "Click the first one...Its really cool."

Jonathan clicked the first video and the two sat down and watched the short clip. On the screen popped out an American teenager with light brown hair that
drapes down onto his forehead and eyes. He was wearing a red tshirt with a black motorcycle logo on it.

"Hi theory11, this is my submission to your website", the teenager said. Based on his voice he was probably around 19 years of age. "My name is Bret, Bret Millson, and my contribution to your site is an effect that I created and what I call 'Iris'. Iris is an effect wherein the performer can visually change the color of the iris anytime and anywhere. It doesn't use any gimmicks or contacts, just yourself. Well, this effect was inspired by the Twilight Movie with vampires, wherein the vamps can change the color of their eyes. This is my take on the concept. Take note, I don't use any special effects for this video. Everything here is raw and as performed."

The camera then focuses on Bret's eyes. It was clear that he has blue eyes.

"I've been practicing my effect for a while now, But I'm only able to change the color of my eyes into two colors...My eyes are naturally blue..."

The camera focused closer on his blue eyes...

"Now I'll change my eyes to brown..."

And with a single blink, his eyes visually change from blue to brown.

"He's using contacts obviously", Jonathan exlcaimed"Some people can control the position of their contacts with certain eye movements."

That's what I thought so too", Dan said "But watch the rest of his performance."

"Then let's do more bizarre colors.I'll turn it to Orange"

With another blink, the brown color of his eyes turned to orange.

"Well, I can alternate both colors", Bret started to blink intermittently and then Jonathan and Dan can visually see that his eyes changed alternatively from Brown to Orange, then Orange to Brown again.

"Okay..."Jonathan said trying to contain himself."Maybe he's using two contacts at both eyes.

"Watch", Dan smirked.

"Watch guys, I like the orange color. Watch how when I focus harder on the color, it will begin to glow..."

Bret changed his eyes to orange and then concentrated. And even through the screen, the two viewers can see that the orange eyes started to emit orange light.

"Whatta!!!!", Jonathan said."He has a light bulb inside his eyes!"

"And lastly, when I focuse harder, I can create vivid designs in my eyes. Here's what I got."

Bret closed his eyes and when he opened them, the Orange light radiated more but this time, his eyes showed some symbols with brown color written in his eyes. When the light subisded, Jonathan and Dan could see the letters and numbers, t11 written at both eyes.At this point, Jonathan's jaw dropped.

The symbols lasted form roughly five seconds and returned to its orange color, Bret closed his eyes and his natural blue colored eyes popped back.He rubbed his eyes and smiled at the camera.

"That's all theory11. Its completely non gimmicked, and of course examinable since its your eyes.There's a slight prep for it, but after that you can do it anytime and anywhere.Hope you guys like this and I hope to hear from you soon."

The video ended.Jonathan remained shocked after the performance.

"That was good. That was really good!" Jonathan said."An entire magic routine wherein you have to do nothing except stare at your spectators."

Dan nodded.

"Very organic and unique", Dan said"He still didn't submit the method. so I'll PM him?I'm waiting for your go signal JB."

"Lets try to research it first.", He turned to Dan. Dan pulled out his iPod 3GS"Contact Chris and Jason tomorrow, including Wayne and Eric, they might have some idea on Geek magic.This is way far from geek. I want you to PM him on the limitations of the effect, and then ask for the method."

Dan nodded.

"Iris is an effect that suites our site well.Well surely be in touch with him.That was amazing."

"This may be the next generation magic for theory11", Dan said.Jonathan nodded in great approval. Then they both packed up and left Jonathan's office for a good night sleep, with the memory of Iris haunting their dreams.

"Iris", Jonathan muttered as he drifted to sleep...

Jul 15, 2009
My point in my stories is to spark inspiration on accomplishing the impossible. Similar to daniel Madison's Change?Remember?Sparking healthy arguments on accomplishing it?...Hope you stick around for more ideas...And I hope it'll spark your magic...

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Meh. The writing style seemed like you were trying too hard; it was almost over the top. Like when Dan says "Gem of an effect." Come on, that doesn't sound natural at all. The concept is there, I just wasn't a fan of the writing style.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results