Classic Palm - Please Please Help Me!!! Please!!

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
hello everyone
I have been learning/practicing classic palm for more than 2 years but no improvements. Let me be specific with my problems - firstly, I can't hold the coin for long, it get slipped also i feel pain in my palm. I can't do everyday tasks while holding coin in classic palm as mostly advised by experts. Also I can't move my thumb with comfort, for example I can do coin roll pretty well but rolling coin while palming is really difficult for me. My thumb can't push the coin over index finger as a result the very first roll in coin roll doesn't complete well. Beside coin roll one more example, like David Roth advised on his DVD that typing while palming is a good exercise, I can't do that also. Coin gets slip from palm. Seriously, even if I am doing nothing, coin gets slip in relaxing position roll.

Secondly, like everywhere said that coin is gripped side-ways not by upper and lower muscles of palm (like on coinvanish.com Dan Watkins has shown this with pictures) but I see that coin in my palm is not holding side-ways but diagonally - a little upper side by pinky muscle and a little down by thumb muscle.

Lastly, I cant get the coin palmed instantly in right place. Why can't I have classic palm like Giacomo Bertini??? If you have seen his DVD how instantly he classic palms coin.........just amazing, such a strong classic palm. I wish to have a classic palm like him.

Guys please help me, I can't explain what I am feeling on my failure, you can understand, it's been more than 2 years but I am still a novice at it. Some times it makes me feel cry also. I really loved Giacomo Bertini's palm. Only his video made me to not to give up on this and I also don't want to give up. I really wish to have such type of dexterity in palming. Please help me.

Jan 30, 2013
I have seen people with a couple of different conditions that have difficulty with classic palm - one is a certain kind of hypermobility disorder, where the joints are so hypermobile that to get the coin on classic palm requires adoption a modified position in some cases that causes pain and is not stable. The other is a severe case of hyperhidrosis (over-sweating), which causes slipping of the coin despite otherwise OK technique.

Both of these and other causes have their remedies.

Can you send in a picture (or even a video) or your hand, the coin(s) that you use and your attempts? This would help clarify if it is an issue of technique, hand structure/function, coin size/shape, combination of a few factors, etc

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
I have seen people with a couple of different conditions that have difficulty with classic palm - one is a certain kind of hypermobility disorder, where the joints are so hypermobile that to get the coin on classic palm requires adoption a modified position in some cases that causes pain and is not stable. The other is a severe case of hyperhidrosis (over-sweating), which causes slipping of the coin despite otherwise OK technique.

Both of these and other causes have their remedies.

Can you send in a picture (or even a video) or your hand, the coin(s) that you use and your attempts? This would help clarify if it is an issue of technique, hand structure/function, coin size/shape, combination of a few factors, etc

well you are right it's about over sweating too........... soon I will upload pictures for your consideration, just give me few hours. Thank You.

Apr 30, 2013
sometimes you need to find your own "sweet spot" maybe move the coin higher or lower than depicted in most books. as for the instant palming like Bertini. honestly that comes later once you are comfortable with that sweet spot. another thing you might want to check is the milling on your coins they might be worn out. maybe if you purchase palming coins so that the edges are easier to grip you might have less difficulties then move on to regular coins. Also these coins are a bit thinner which might help

Jul 7, 2013
I went through some of the same problems and they really are some easy fixes. First when I over sweat I run my hands under cold water for a minute or two, then I clap my hands and rub them together to create friction. I find that it helps. Also I grabbed David Roth's Coin Book as well as his dvd's. After watching and reading it, it took two weeks to get it down and to be able to CP fast. Let me know if this helps?

Last edited by a moderator:
you can rub the edges of your coins onto some Violin Resin from any music store. this will help the coin stay in place with almost any hand condition (too sweaty, too dry...) but experiment with the amount you use once you get it down because if you use too much it can hold too strong to release during a La Masque load.

I primarily use US Walking Liberty Half Dollars. I own about 6 regular ones in mid-grade condition. Just enough to get a little resin in the small amount of milling still left. (perfect for magic and I own a boatload of gaffs in Walkers). I put too much resin on a fairly new Kennedy half and it absolutely didn't want to come out of classic palm until I took it out with my other hand :) . the stuff works, you just have to experiment with amount that works for you.

That being said, it was a day I was just goofing around (my CP is pretty good with halves after 20yrs) now I wanted to move up to Morgan Silver Dollars - much harder for me... until out came the rosin. I edged em up and went to town practicing. I think the main advantage to practicing with the rosin was that I was able to find my sweet spot, which differed from my sweet spot for halves a bit. I found myself using less and less of the rosin as my grip, position and overall memory improved. I can now CP a Morgan with no help from the rosin (just not as well or as long as I can a Walking Liberty Half, but thats all about hand size and and many extra years of practice.) Good luck, hope it helps ya.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results