Clipshift//An Idea for Patter.

Hello everyone,

I recently stumbled across a thread which gave and idea for Patter on Daniel Madison's Half-Vanish which I thought was superb (Click Here if you wish to read it).
Now, I thought there could be more of these threads since I personally believe patter and presentation is something our generation of magic lacks. Sure you can have a stunning visual effect but, if a spectator doesn't understand the reasoning behind it then it (in my mind) ruins the moment.

Now the inspiration for this patter came from talking with a friend about things we remembered from when we were young. And up came the topic of a Polaroid Camera. One of the first things that came to my mind is how it relates to 2 changes utilizing the Clipshift. The "Shaking" motion and "Blowing" motion used. So, in short I thought of it not through the Polaroid Change by b.Smith but, other means which I have used on an audience (thought I might mention that).

This is essentially how the patter works, and anyone with the basic knowledge of the Clipshift will know how to work the effect;;
"What I would like you to do is select a card which you like and has some sort of colour on it, meaning a red, blue or yellow, not just black. I will mention the purpose later. *Hand the deck to spectator* Once done press it against your chest so I cannot see it."

"Now, what I'm going to do is choose another card which is all black and put it aside. (Not literally all black, for example the Ace of Spades or 2 of Spades). *Take back the deck. Seemingly place selected card into middle of the pack.*"

"Now, that I've lost your card, I want you to imagine that we're back in the year 1999, you know, the good ol' days and this deck is a Polaroid Camera. *Place Black card Face-up on the bottom of the deck* and that this black card is the picture. I bet you can remember people use to shake the Polaroid or Blow on it to make it develop and dry faster. So, it's up to you I can either blow on the card or shake-it to try and make your card "develop". *Spectator states which type**Execute the Clipshift*"

Now, that is my patter I use for doing just the basic Clipshift move. Comments and/or thoughts are appreciated. Either post them here, or send me a PM.

Also, if you have any more ideas for patter and/or presentation regarding the Clip Shift post them here as to not clutter the board with a million "CLipshift Patur idee-az!11!1!" Haha, you get the point.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
California
Good idea...But I think it's rather weak how everyone puts the Clipshift on a pedestal. it's a sleight, and just because people claim its underground and is awesome doesn't make it any better than any old erdnase change, which may in fact give the spectator a greater experience. No offense, but that is just my take. I often sound pretty rude in my posts, and I don't mean it, but yeah...

I don't think a single move like the Clipshift is a strong effect at all. Sure, if you routine it in and for some reason actually find a purpose for it that flows in your effect, then great =) Other than that, I see it as useless. The deck position is awkward, and the spectators will notice that. it's more of a look at this, it's cool sorta thing.

The ONLY thing I see great about this sleight is how it can be used as a control. Via Dribble cards, stop, show card, come down perform clipshift, half square -------> dribble rest of cards leaving card controlled. Other than that, I see no useful purpose for it other than a camera trick.

It's good to know that you have patter though. It will help a lot of people that perform this as an effect. thanks for the post mate

Dec 10, 2007
i guess it works... but why do the clip shift by itself? If you include it in a routine, you can slightly adapt the patter to emphasize the change and give purpose to the trick. For instance there are a thousand different ways of presenting any color change, most of them are better than saying pick a card, is this your card? No? ok how bout now?

Also i understand that having them choose a red card or a face card helps to make the change more visible but it makes it seem like you are trying to keep them from doing something to mess up your trick... i would just go with a free choice, but that's just me.

Overall i think the idea is decent, but i think you could get much stronger reactions if there was more of a routine built around it.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Exactly my point. Don't be distracted with new moves tha are thrown out there. 90% of the time, what you've been practicing and using WILL work in the end. That's why you've been practicing. In the unfortunate event that you're learning the Clipshift early on into cardistry, then STOP learning it and go perfect your double lift. In my opinion, it's at least 10x as useful haha. ( not putting any one person on the spot, but just a generalization).

"I personally believe patter and presentation is something our generation of magic lacks. Sure you can have a stunning visual effect but, if a spectator doesn't understand the reasoning behind it then it (in my mind) ruins the moment."

This is an important observation, however a moment is ruined prior to performance. The selection of sleights and routining, that happens before presentation is even thought of, is the most important step. What sleights are the most efficient to carry out an effect? How can you get from point A to point B without instilling unneeded curiosity into a spectator? These opinions are coming from my experience with performing the Clipshift, just FYI. That was just a really short speil on a LARGE topic I always bring up. Darwin Ortiz's book Strong Magic covers SO MUCH material and can help anyone learn structure and development of effects and routines.

I agree with a lot of the points you've made. You can change your patter to make ANY colour change more significant if you have the right patter, like the Erdnase, you said for example.

It seems that a majority of people know the ClipShift and perform it often. This is simply my take on if someone were to ask me or anyone else, "Show me a trick." I'm not saying it's a routine or should be used as one, just an idea if you ever are asked that question and want something that is very visual and actually has a bit of patter to go behind it, which you could've very well been lacking before.

This is something I use when I'm put on the spot. I love the Clipshift, and I'm comfortable doing it and I've never had anyone say "Your hands looked awkward" or "Why are you holding it like that." Now, your experiences may be different from mine, as well as reactions so, that's fine you don't personally enjoy it as much as I do, this is only my observation from your posts.

@DJDonkeyPuncher//
Your comment about selecting any card is one that I do use along with the "pick one with a colour". Since giving too many instructions can be awkward and confusing and just saying "Pick any card" is a lot more simple and easy too follow along. I just believe in the end it kinda makes sense and there's and actual justified reason not as if I was trying to psych force the Queen of Spades and said "Pick a court card, one that is rather dark and has soft facial features." Well, you get my point..That's why I sometimes like to include it.

I really appreciate both of your thoughts and anyone who has read my original post should read those replies as well. TKoC your paragraph on how the moment can be ruined before the performance is very true, and I will look into that book since I think my routining possibly needs a new perspective and direction.

Cheers,
-RA69

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I agree with King Of Cards about using the clipshift as a control is where the move really shines. It has quickly become one of my favourite methods. I am not sure about comparing it to the Erdanase colour change though. I find that a lot of the more intellectual spectators will create an explanation quite different to the actual method behind the change. Usually either dropping or removing a card but there is still a lot of cover and hands in a very slow manner. The shapeshifter suffers on all the other reasons it is too perfect and too quick and a few clever people catch on to it but for the most part it gets great reactions. In my opinion the ego change has the best of both worlds in that regard and you end a lot cleaner than both. However the clipshift is strange because you have to shake the hand to hide a lot of the movement and also so disarming because it is done in one hand from a position that looks like nothing could possibly be done from. Every time I have used it everyone has been impressed.

Sep 24, 2008
Bavaria, Germany
the handpositioning during the clipshift is everythingelse but awkward o_O

even a "normal" biddle/end grip on the deck looks more awkward and tense.

And it is not a disadvantage of the clipshift, that "you have to shake to cover".

The clipshift as a colorchange is presented and meant to be presented in a way, that the card only is able to change through the shake..in this case in relation to a polaroid camera.

So you are actually not shaking the deck, to cover something, but you are doing it to let the magic work.

With the cardini change you are not snapping the top card or waving over it to cover something but you are doing it to let the magic work.

With the erdnase change you are not covering the whole thing with your hand....you maybe just rub your hand over the card to let the magic work....damn it!...maybe if with some sleights or in this case color changes the cover is obvious, there are so many explainations for you could give your spectators.....maybe "the thing that will just happen is to strong for a human eye and it has been said, that people could die if they see what happens so you have to cover it"..but in 96% of all cases sentences like that are not nessecary.

So many people and hobby magicians are stretching their thoughts to far. Spectator (laymen) will never do so.
And even if you have problem with the shaking motion of the clipshift...than don´t don´t do it.
The Clip and the shift can be done under misdirection, while the replacement could be covered by a sleightly bigger motion that the replacement itself (maybe turning your wrist, straightn your arm out, etc.).

When you are into magic for a few months, years or so...it is hard to remember how it feels to be a laymen...watch my signature.....it is my motto in magic......and I´m not a laymen magician....not AT ALL...I would except putting 200 difficult sleights into the time mashine concept, just to fool a magician, but if you are that far and can say about yourself "man...your doublelifts are pretty damn awesome"....then enjoy the moment, where a total layman sits right in front of you and show him your doublelift-ambitious-card-technique and freeze him against the wall.

maybe I´ve just missed the topic a little bit...but I thought it would kind of fit, after reading that someone truly is questioning the sense of the handling of the clipshift out of a layman perspective.....

just my 2404 cents

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results