Coffee Shops/Restaurant gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Sean - come on man, have a laugh....and I probably won't grow up, but I may gain weight or grow old. Either way, I call all my good friends named Phil, Mr Atio - because most don't get it, and they thank me for not calling them Mr. McCraken - which they have heard their entire life. So chill man - you know I have the best intent.

Pssh, man I'd've thought you knew me better than that by now. I was chilled... curse these stone cold words which cannot express emotion, unlike the ever changing pitch of a human voice.

Seriously though, s'all good man - everything I say should be taken with a pinch of salt, a dash of pepper and some paprika if you're feeling kinky.

- Sean

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I doubt you'll make much money working at a coffee shop. Due to the fact that the majority of people at coffee shops are there to study or get coffee and leave.

I would suggest that instead of saying the word "Magician". You tell them you are there to help them enjoy their dinning experience and that you are the entertainment for the evening. If they seem interested, you then go on to perform whatever opener you got. If not, then you tell them that if they need help with anything, please feel free to contact you or if they have a change of heart. etc etc.

I doubt you'll make much money working at a coffee shop. Due to the fact that the majority of people at coffee shops are there to study or get coffee and leave.

I would suggest that instead of saying the word "Magician". You tell them you are there to help them enjoy their dinning experience and that you are the entertainment for the evening. If they seem interested, you then go on to perform whatever opener you got. If not, then you tell them that if they need help with anything, please feel free to contact you or if they have a change of heart. etc etc.

Randy's right on all accounts. Don't expect to make much money performing in a coffee shop. In fact, my first real gig as a paid magician was at a local coffee shop as well, and I can personally attest to the fact you probably won't make a healthy living at all doing it. However, it is a great opportunity to get real-world experience interacting with actual customers. It's also a good way to network. I recommend getting a few business cards printed and having them ready to hand out to potential clients if you're serious about going the professional route. If you're simply planning to remain a house performer, you probably shouldn't expect to be paid much more than what you already are as a server from the establishment.

I'm also an advocate of Randy's approach above. Saying you're the entertainment sounds much more appealing and professional than blatantly saying you're a magician. It's unfortunate, but too many people have negative preconceived notions about magicians, and you may turn them off prior to even having the chance to perform in the first place.

RS.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The thing is you CAN perform at a coffee shop. You just won't be a hired regular. I've seen small indy bands play at coffee shops. Did they get a part time gig there? Nope. But they most like did get exposure and some people interested in their music.

Coffee shops usually don't make enough money to hire entertainment and I am sure most the bands that play there are either friends of the manager or something in that general area.

If you are going to work at a restaurant, I suggest you look for places like Family style restaurants that aren't cooperate chains.

Tho you could simply stir up some business by making a few business cards, performing on the streets and then handing out your business card at the end. It would be easier, and well a lot less pressure than doing it at a paid gig.

Ok, I haven't read every post in it's entirety, so forgive me if I'm just rehashing the same **** that's been said.

1. You have to define your role at the coffee shop. Are you there to work, or there to perform? You can't be considered a pro and do both. That said, it's much harder to get people to accept you as a pro if you were already there working for minimum wage beforehand. And keep in mind that working a coffee shop doing magic a few times a year doesn't make you a pro, and neither does performing for your great grandma and getting a $20 tip.

2. Coffee shop...not the best venue. Doable, but not easily. Depending on the layout, the tables are probably close together, and there's probably not much in the way of walking room. One table sees your act, and the rest already know what's coming. But I could be entirely wrong...just going by my experiences.

3. What the hell are you doing even thinking about approaching the manager with just "I'll do angle zero and maybe another trick.."
Seriously guys....there is a lot more to magic than theory 11 and 1-on-1 downloads. Have a show that consists of more than just Daniel Madison material and Dan Buck flourishes. I'm amazed at the amount of members here that say "I got my first paid show!! Here's a list of all the tricks I'm planning on doing!" then go on to list nothing but tricks and dvds bought here at Theory11. Literally, take your pick of the threads because they're a dime a dozen.

Find a few good tricks, some cards, some coins, some classics. Variety is necessary unless you're exceptionally good, and I'm willing to bet that not everyone here is able to actually be entertaining with cards. To no one in particular, but just because you get decent reactions doesn't mean you're good...it just means you're most likely the only magician that some people have seen live. I don't remember which famous magician said this, but I've heard it before time and again....Good reactions don't always mean entertaining...it means surprise. Not always a positive either.

4. There is a lot more to actually being considered a professional entertainer than just some tricks. I use to think that was obvious, but sadly some posts in this thread have made me think otherwise. Case in point, if you're going to do something, don't half ass it. Period. Do your homework well in advance before you even consider approaching a place for a steady gig. That means what you'll perform, how you'll dress, pitching the gig, being a likable person, having prior experience, and actually being good. I did months of research and work before I approached my first restaurant, and I nailed it the first try. Could it have been a fluke? Possibly, but maybe not. I was there for 2 years, then I got a call from one of the most well known performers in Maryland, asking me if I was interested in performing at a restaurant that he just booked.

I've worked my ass off to be even halfway decent, and so be it if I sound like a dick. I just don't want to get grouped into the same category as everyone else with a deck of cards and a few business cards calling themselves a professional. It's one thing to think you are, but until others consider you one, then it's all in your head. And to be completely honest, I'm not sure whether I've even touched on the question asked, but this is me ranting to no one in particular. Take it for what it's worth is all I can say...

Best.
Steve

Sep 20, 2008
Im doing magic to help promotion- my main agenda is to create Rapport with customers in order to entice them to come back.

Not to make money out of it, otherwise i'd stop making coffee and take your words for it.

i dont think i can get clearer than that- actually i probably can.

"I dont want to make money out of magic, though making money on the side through it would be good. I aim to use magic as to promote the company i work for and i repeat- NOT TO MAKE A LIVING OUT OF IT BUT MERELY PROMOTION."

I think my motives are not clear on this matter. This is like me asking for directions, and instead i get people saying how great the scenery are on the way- but not actually giving me the right directions toward my destination.

Let me quote myself:

I was wondering, how do i introduce myself? it seems rather odd for me to ask that, but i usually just walk up to someone and ask them to check something out or something similar- but in a proffessional environment where im most likely going to be paid to do table-to-table magic, i need more opinions regarding openers.

This applies to restaurant workers as well, can you please elaborate on your opening statement, your intent and your opening trick. that would help me a lot.

And i wasnt clear on this part: but Paid to do magic as a side thing, maybe i wont even ask for payment at all- maybe i just want the company that i work for attract more customers.

And morgician, i found that PM'ing you would be the least of my worries. someone of your caliber still Keyboard-Jockeying a Magic forum would probably know better than to patronise Young inexperienced members instead of bashing them with how godly your talents are and how much experience you have under your belt.

Honestly, you should give it a rest. Im here for opinions, not to be taught on how my perception should change in magic.

Though it still doesnt justify why i didnt PM you- Honestly it mightve been that thought that some other member out there (Whom may be non-existant) would feel the same way like me. I asked a mere question, and i got a bashing instead.

Narrow minded? Cheers. I like you too.

Mar 29, 2008
morgician, i found that PM'ing you would be the least of my worries. someone of your caliber still Keyboard-Jockeying a Magic forum would probably know better than to patronise Young inexperienced members instead of bashing them with how godly your talents are and how much experience you have under your belt.

Honestly, you should give it a rest. Im here for opinions, not to be taught on how my perception should change in magic.

Though it still doesnt justify why i didnt PM you- Honestly it mightve been that thought that some other member out there (Whom may be non-existant) would feel the same way like me. I asked a mere question, and i got a bashing instead.

Narrow minded? Cheers. I like you too.

Sinful07, you say you are an adult, but show little proof of that with your continuous negativity. For those that really know me, they know that I have help foster many young magicians towards being successful with their magic...I have also helped young magicians steer away from making big mistakes with their magic.

I had a student like you - he thought I was trying to make him a zombie - he was a hostess at a corporate restaurant. He decided to "help promote the restaurant" with his magic. Instead of getting paid as a magician, he was either an slightly overpaid hostess (barely above his standard pay) or an underpaid magician. Regardless, because he was doing magic, but worked there - the conflict of interest didn't sit well with the customers. He went against my advice, and ended up losing both his jobs and struggle to do anything in magic...it has been 7 years for him, I continually offered my help for him to reach his goals, but his pride wouldn't allow it. He has struggled year after year, and his reputation on how poor his magic is proceeds him.

I have seen guys like you before, I am old and mature enough to see the patterns. The only thing I am sorry for, is taking interest in your goals enough to try and prevent you from making mistakes. What you see as bashing, is me doing my best to prevent you from stepping on landminds...so, I am sorry that I cared about you...it is obvious you are not here from guidance, but a list of random opinions with no experience or thought.

So - what you see as bashing Sinful07, is called feedback...advice, from a guy that has seen MANY like you...and has seen the outcomes of certain steps repeated. I can't stop you from doing magic the way you want, but when I read what you do - I can see some of the gaps - and the fact that you don't take a second and understand that somewhere out in cyber land there is a 32 year old magician with as many years of practical experience teaching magic at a high level and performing it, is sitting at his computer that gives a $hit about you and your magic...yet you are too stubborn and full of pride to see that he is trying to help you, BLOWS my mind. It says ALOT about who you are...or more importantly, who you are not. Bashing? BASHING? You sir are bashing, I was trying to be helpful, but go ahead - make your own moves, like a child that thinks his parents don't know what they are talking about...so makes ALL the same mistakes. Why do I even bother? Because for those that have taken the time, I have made BIG differences. I don't have all the answers - but I can see where you are heading, and you will be VERY unhappy with your outcomes....this is certain. However, you don't want to be a pro magician...you just want to make your hourly rate for making coffee, while doing tricks for people that just want to get a drink and go...good luck. You have a large mountain to climb. I am sure you can do it, but I am also sure that if you removed your ego, you could have been more prepared for what you are about to face.

However - as you are ONLY looking to collect a group of opinions, really a group of ideas to fill in the gaps, I will post my generic, yet thoughtless response that you appear to want to collect so badly.

How do you introduce yourself?

Hi, My name is _____ I have been asked to share something unique with you today here at Starbucks, usually, I make your coffee, but today I will make your day. Do you have a moment to see something unique? (Some variation of a verbal sell to peak their interest) You won't always need this, because some people may just want to see it...however, in a coffee shop, (as mentioned) some people won't. Especially because they are not used to it, so they will be aprehensive. Look for people sitting and that aren't pre-occupied.

I don't usually recommend this - but open with something that will establish you as good very quickly. People may not have the patience for longer routines, at first.

My intent is to gain some prestige with them fast - this is the uphill climb for you, especially if they recognize you as staff. Ortiz talks about a world class magician doing a great bit of magic at Denny's...and the server was like, "cute"...then walked away. Ortiz felt that he didn't have the prestige for her to expect something great...afterall, why would a great magician hang out at Denny's at 3 am? If she only knew! I have a feeling you will face this at your coffee shop.

What trick to open with - that depends - what can you do? I can't answer this directly, as the situation will dictate that - I may use cards, I may not - I may go with sponges. Actually, I have a GREAT bit with sponges that would work for you...

OH, a butterfly - anyhow, Steve gave some great advice.

Was that too long - perhaps this is better:

Hi - I am ____, I do magic and make coffee...which would you like today? Cool - do "angle zero" - say, thanks for not making me do my regular job. Hope to see you again?

Sep 20, 2008
Though your goals of helping mean bulldozing towards other 'thoughtless' opinions, i found them quite useful. They answered the question that i presented them with. Which is the point of asking a question in the first place anyways, to BE answered.

Its tough arguing with someone who views themselves as of high value, Specially in a hiearchy- an online hiearchy so to speak. Yes, i may be young, yes i dont have as much experience as you, and yes i do acknowledge the fact that you have taught and helped 52 million students (Obvious Exaggeration) But the fact of the matter is, im not prepared to take you up as a teacher, nor did i ask you to- i simply asked a question, and you have given me the most sarcastic and patronising piece of advice that ive ever received.

Though you did not intend on helping me on the matter: you have given me an idea:

My intent is to gain some prestige with them fast - this is the uphill climb for you, especially if they recognize you as staff. Ortiz talks about a world class magician doing a great bit of magic at Denny's...and the server was like, "cute"...then walked away. Ortiz felt that he didn't have the prestige for her to expect something great...afterall, why would a great magician hang out at Denny's at 3 am? If she only knew! I have a feeling you will face this at your coffee shop.

Ortiz. Sounds familiar. Darwin Ortiz? i'll do some research on him. Also that reminded me that there's a book called/regarding 'maximum entertainment'. I shall have a look at that too.

Frankly, my Ego is fine. its not a case of pride. You can help me, but frankly if you're going to be an ass about it, i'd rather learn whatever-the-f*ck you were going to tell me anyways.

I'd much rather have you prancing around later on singing "I told you so, i told you soooo!" Rather than to take up your Patronising and Sarcastic Advice.

If i didnt have respect for the community and other readers, this would be filled with Vulgarities.

On a more positive note, thank you for your opinion on how i should introduce myself.

Pride? Have a laugh. There's a difference between Pride and Confidence.

May 19, 2008
manchester
I would take the advice hes given you, he seems to wanna help, and he has helped people (according to him).

hes not asking to be teaching you, hes showing you how to do a difficult thing properly, if you dont want help dont post a thread about it, morgician gave you a proper reply, maybe you were just expecting some little comment, you got a good reply, use it.

Sep 20, 2008
He did deliver good advice at some points. But it felt more like he squashed the cake as i said 'thank y-..' if that makes sense.

And sorry, since when did Theory 11 Consist of Morgician alone? there are other people out there in 'cyberland' besides him, Some were more than kind enough to message me privately regarding specific advice, and im grateful for them.

To those who Pm'ed/gave advice here- Cheers.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
I think this thread has gotten out of hand and off topic! So let's bring it back that way!

I think that Sinful07's topic was misunderstood by some. Everyone has given their opinions and advice, which was all good advice by the way, however, he was not looking for advice about working a regular gig at a coffee shop. He also pointed out that he was a hobbyist. While we all have a difference of opinion about his choice to perform for the public while being a hobbyist, his original post was not about this.

I have no experience doing magic in a coffee shop so I cannot give you advice on that, however, the business side of me says the sign, small fliers (such as postcard-sized) on the tables with information about you, would make it easier to approach a table. People would sit down and pick it up and look it over while having their beverage.

-Calvin

Wow...Sinful07 (had the put the 07...the real Sinful is pretty cool). Dude, you just blew it. Here you had the opportunity to eat a nice big slice of humble pie, shut up, and realize that all your preconceived notions of what might be right about performing in a coffee shop, are in face pretty wrong. Everything Morgician has said has been dead on.

Furthermore, I can relate to a lot of what he said. When I first got started, and wanted to get into restaurants, the first forum I went to was the Magic Cafe. Yes, they're a pretty rough bunch over there. My first experience though, were a few pros (also a ton of wannabe's over there...arm chair hobbyists and part-time hacks) that took the time to give me some ideas, and help me land my first restaurant gig. What did I do? I sucked up my pride, checked my ego at the door, and realized that they were right and I didn't know ****. But, that's okay because I was inexperienced. Really, I still am. I've only been at this a few short years and in the grand scheme of things, that's nothing.

But hey, you go on and do your magic at the coffee shop. And I really hope it does work out for you. But like Morgician, don't get your hopes up and don't invite people you know to come see you perform. Because I have a feeling you won't be doing much performing.

Best of luck.
Steve

P.S. He said they would be doing this as an attraction, to draw in business. Who in the hell wants to go see a "hobbyist magician" ?????? Boring and dreadful. How are they going to market that? A pro on the other hand is awesome! But the downfall here is that should they market him like he's God's gift to the magic world, he'll fall awfully short and end up looking absolutely terrible. Especially when people are expecting a show that is of professional caliber, and not from a "hobbyist". Just something to ponder.

Mar 29, 2008
Sinful07 - I am glad many magicians PM'd you - that is too bad they felt they had to speak to you in private - after all - this is a forum where many others may have learnt from your question/experience/thoughts. I don't see this as a topic that needs to be addressed in private, as the only thing that seems to be bruised is your feelings.

Why do you think I offer this advice? OH, and you stating that you have taken others opinions, and very little of what I shared, is just your attempt to be spiteful. Saying that there are others in the forum that can offer good advice is as obvious as saying there are other methods to the same trick.

You are so full of anger man. Seriously guy, you are lucky anyone is taking interested in what you are doing - having someone come on and answer any of your questions is a spot where most decent people say THANK YOU - even if don't like my approach, Steve Simmons also has his finger on the pulse, so does Romeo, Thrallmind, Sean Raf, the real Sinful - I have even seen great growth in guys like RDChopper, since my arrival over a year ago. Go to them...but I doubt anyone will give you advice that doesn't at least touch on mine. That being said, I never claimed this is 100% my ideas, but I have put 100% of the effort to read, educate...and here is the big one...APPLY what I have learnt. I continue to grow in magic.

You, however, only continue to spray anger. This means I can deal with it one way. I can realize that you are such an insecure child that discussing anything with you of value is beyond your abilities. Until you realize that I may be a jerk...I don't deny that....but if you believe in BETTER MAGIC - then you realize I am not ANY jerk, I WOULD BE YOUR JERK., as I would then be standing for what you believed in. However, since you are more concerned about how I deliver the message, than the value of its content...you get lost in your emotional issues.

Think of the same issue as someone beating on their girlfriend - I am sure you wouldn't stand for that - would you pussyfoot around on the topic while talking to the abuser? Nope. You would say - "this is wrong - here is why" - so here is the thing - you are abusing the love of my life. Magic. Why should I pussyfoot to spare your feelings - unless you are one of those sensitive types that need to be delicately told they suck? I took you for more of a grown up, one that can be told - "this is the issue" and you turn around and do something about it. I mean...you OPENLY admit you need help, you openly admit that you aren't that great yet...so what is the problem? Why the verbal attack? Ah, you can't get over your feelings are hurt - you are confused and don't feel like yourself? You may be repressing something? Oh, nice dance routine by the way. I digress; I think that just telling you how it is, would be FAR more efficient than the sugar coating you get in magic meetings and by those that don't understand magic as well. I don't care if you become a "pro", but I still hope you would strive to be as good as possible...but maybe I am wrong on that too, so...

What would you have me do Sinful07? Do you not want me to post in "your" forum - Do you want me to pat you on the back and build you up before we dicuss the truth issues? Should I just stick to answering your question, and not warn you of possible problems/issues. I only hope that you don't "trial and error" so much that you lose all ability to be taken seriously in your community, as it is harder to be taken seriously once people have certain expectations of what you do. My relationship or lack thereof, is a perfect example of that.

So my last bit of advice to you:
May the path you choose be lit up by the bridges that you burn behind you!

Sep 4, 2007
Sinful07
If i didnt have respect for the community and other readers, this would be filled with Vulgarities.

Your kidding right? Based on what you said here:

Ortiz. Sounds familiar. Darwin Ortiz? i'll do some research on him. Also that reminded me that there's a book called/regarding 'maximum entertainment'. I shall have a look at that too.

Respect!?! What kind of hobbyist would want to move into regular public performances for 'promotional purposes,' without studying the basics?!?! Darwin's writing on performance should have been one of the first books you picked up. I mean, even the most humdrum cardoholic who can't execute a DL without prying the back of the deck knows who Darwin is and what he has contributed.

I'm flabbergasted.

But hey, you go on and do your magic at the coffee shop. And I really hope it does work out for you. But like Morgician, don't get your hopes up and don't invite people you know to come see you perform. Because I have a feeling you won't be doing much performing.

So let me get this straight Sinful. You have two expirienced, professional and knowledgeable workers sharing their information and offering up their time for you and your upset because they won't indulge in spoon feeding you?

Yes they are both blunt. Yes they are questioning why you are doing what you are doing. The reasons are simple. They have been there and done that and based on direct, real world, working expirience they know the terrible decision young fools can make.

Regardless of whether you want to be a professional or not, by performing in a coffee shop you are moving into a professional's world; and trust me, professional's take that personally.

Nothing p*#@es me off more than hack 'indy' filmmakers who think that they can shoot a film with their handy cell phone cam, based on a ridiculous screenplay they wrote that makes no sense, and get into the acclaimed ranks of Tarantino and Rodriquez.

Simply put, a humble yet optimistic attitude is what you should have. Also, consider the fact that a lot of the users who freely give advice on what you should do and perform can't find their way around a deck of cards and still need to ask for lunch money before heading to the bus for school. (that's not an attack on the young, it's a statement about member's who don't know and know that they don't know but share their 'insight' anyway.)

Try to take what Morgician and Steve have to say seriously, because you won't find many out there who are willing to share for free.

urban

Mar 29, 2008
Getting stupid? I think it started somewhere around......here:

I was wondering if anyone performs permanently for any Coffee shop- or at least a regular there.

Why do i ask?

My manager's asking for some marketing tactics, and i was thinking of incorporating magic somehow. (Angle zero mainly) or other transpositions.

I was wondering, how do i introduce myself? it seems rather odd for me to ask that, but i usually just walk up to someone and ask them to check something out or something similar- but in a proffessional environment where im most likely going to be paid to do table-to-table magic, i need more opinions regarding openers.

This applies to restaurant workers as well, can you please elaborate on your opening statement, your intent and your opening trick. that would help me a lot.

Cheers,

-Sin

Seriously though, as much as I appreciate the posts - Romeo is right, it is a bit stupid - this isn't trash on Sinful07...I can't believe I just said that...anyhow, let him decide the path. It is his life, he can accept or reject whatever he wants. If he can get over the fact that he is still unhappy with our last run it - and be adult, turn the other cheek - then perhaps he can gain something - but I am sure he will find where he needs to be with or without anyones help....it may not be where he wants, but he will find his own place in magic.

Let's get back to talking about how to get someone's blood pumping without the use of coffee.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
...This is getting stupid...

RS.

amen..

He didn't ask to b preached too, he asked a simple question.

I don't have any experience with this, but here's my advice, take it or leave it.

What sparked my interest in magic, was a magician doing a walk around gig at a pizza restaurant. He said this

"Hi, how are you guys doing tonight, (small talk for a few seconds) , my names Jason Michaels and the restaurant has hired me for your entertainment, (pulls out a deck of cards ) Can i show you something?

and goes into a trick.

hope that helps

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Your manager wants to draw business. Just have him bring in local indy bands "Every Friday Night The Saint Louie band." it will draw in more customers and not make you look stupid. How do I know this will work. Because I have seen a few Coffee Shops do this exact thing. Every one in awhile they would have a small live band play there. People would come to listen to the music, and the place would get more business.

People aren't going to take you seriously if you are working there as a server or cashier. Specially due to the size of the place. Most Coffee shops are small and really once you've performed for one table. Pretty much everybody there as seen everything you do. So the idea of them being curious and interested is thrown right out the window. Not to mention like I stated before. People at Coffee Shops don't want to be bothered by a guy with a deck of cards. It's one thing if you are sitting there drinking coffee with friends and showing tricks and people get interested. But what you are planning to do is just going blow up in your face.

Imagine being a college student studying for the finals or doing home work and some guy walks up to your table and decides to bother you. It's not going to put you in a good mood.

I rarely ever see people stay longer than a few min at most Coffee Shops as well. The ones who do stay long, usually are there to relax and study for whatever test they have.

Also Daniel Madison isn't something I would use at all for this kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results