Coin Matrix

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
hey guys. i'm just getting started in coin magic, and i'm loving what i'm learning, but i'm still stumped on what a matrix is.

can anyone help me out?

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
hey guys. i'm just getting started in coin magic, and i'm loving what i'm learning, but i'm still stumped on what a matrix is.

can anyone help me out?
Umm, this is the basic idea of what a coin matrix is. Sometimes it's done with cards instead of just the hands. This specific routine happens to be Shadow Coins and it's done brilliantly.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
oh so any like transposition of a coin?

No, usually when there are four coins in four corners, and you cover the coins with your hands (or some playing cards) and one coin transposes to the other corner. Then it's usually repeated until all the coins end up in one corner. Hope that helps.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
oh ok i got it now, that would be awesome to be able to do... hm, i'll have to look in to some stuff! (after a long long time of practicing the basics)

Sep 3, 2007
If you want a good matrix without gimmick or extra coin check the Hatrix from Nestor Hato out.

There is my version:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9p0lu_hatrix_creation

You do that really well. Much like he does minus the ending. The effect is the best matrix I've seen. I have a variation of my own but I don't think it's that good. I'll add it to this thread in a few minutes. It is against all rules of the plot (if there is one).

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
For the record,

MATRIX refers to routines based off of Al Schneiders original Coin Matrix routine, which is based off of The Sympathetic Coins in Modern Coin Magic. These routines use playing cards as cover cards.

COIN ASSEMBLIES do not use playing cards, just the hands. They are based off of Chink-a-chink by David Roth, which is a variant on an old routine performed with sugar cubes, or dice.

There IS a difference.

Scott.

Sep 3, 2007
Just to clarify, for me at least. What is the difference? Cards cover one and hands cover the other? I always thought that Matrix was four coins moving around a table. Never looked so much into the rules.

Nestor Hato's routine "Hatrix" must have been done out of ignorance if Matrix is only covered by cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2009
Just around
For the record,

MATRIX refers to routines based off of Al Schneiders original Coin Matrix routine, which is based off of The Sympathetic Coins in Modern Coin Magic. These routines use playing cards as cover cards.

COIN ASSEMBLIES do not use playing cards, just the hands. They are based off of Chink-a-chink by David Roth, which is a variant on an old routine performed with sugar cubes, or dice.

There IS a difference.

Scott.
Thought there was probably more to it (I also thought you'd come and correct me:D). Thanks for the info.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Just to clarify, for me at least. What is the difference? Cards cover one and hands cover the other? I always thought that Matrix was four coins moving around a table. Never looked so much into the rules.

Nestor Hato's routine "Hatrix" must have been done out of ignorance if Matrix is only covered by cards.

Speaking of ignorance... I'm sure Nestor Hato would agree that his routine is not completely original in plot, or style.

These aren't rules. It's nomenclature.

The word "Matrix" in this context refers specifically to Al Schneider's routine. It used cards. "Coin Assemblies" are also "four coins moving around a table", but are not "Matrix". If something uses an item other than cards, such as postcards, dollar bills, etc... It's still not "Matrix". It's an assembly.

It's like calling facial tissue "Kleenex". Only one brand can accurately be called that... The rest are simply "facial tissues".

Small differences are a big deal in a world with increasing quantities of available magic. It's good to learn the correct terminology, as a way to respect the innovators, creators, and originators of over done and often massacred effects and magical plots.

Scott.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
Small differences are a big deal in a world with increasing quantities of available magic. It's good to learn the correct terminology, as a way to respect the innovators, creators, and originators of over done and often massacred effects and magical plots.

Scott.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results