Connecting magic to your environment

Jun 18, 2017
I was playing with IT the other day and trying to think of something to levitate that made sense to my guests. A cigarette or a bill didn’t fit with the crowd so I wanted something more appropriate.

We’d decided to go for a walk in the mountains that day and I had the idea of using a leaf - something impromptu that would be everywhere on the floor at this time of year and easily justifiable.

Anyway this got me thinking about matching our tricks to where we do them. I love cards, but there aren’t many environments where pulling out a deck of cards is particularly natural, unless you’re the ‘magic guy.’

I thought what about making a list of places you generally spend time, be it the office, school, hiking in the mountains, working a coffee shop etc, and write or collect tricks that make sense in that environment.

From this little experiment I came up with two tricks for the forest, somewhere we go at least twice a week, and adapted two existing tricks for this very location.

Anyway I thought we could all share in this little experiment and drum up effects based on the places were most likely to find ourselves with friends or colleagues to perform to casually.

I work in a school, so any ideas for magic that’s related to that or school objects? Where do you work or are you part of any out of work/school organisations that you could adapt magic to?

Maybe you hang out in mcdonalds a lot and want to levitate a straw, maybe you catch a movie each week and want to do a popcorn trick that won’t get you arrested. Throw some ideas out!

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
Wow this is a genius idea, I am going to have to start doing this.
As for ideas I feel like the amazebox will work well. You have everyone write down a vote on a slip of paper. Then have someone draw a vote and show that You have predicted it on the back of a whiteboard or something.

Reactions: NinoIng
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results